video games that inspired you to do something cool IRL

Looney Troons

DRINK!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Taking a break from the Chris Chan board to discuss a topic a few mates and I had discussed last night over a few pints, video games that inspired you to do something cool.

For me, The Sims 1 made me really interested in music, namely pianos. I loved the Build Mode music in that game, and still do. The piano pieces in the game were not something I’d normally listen to as I was real big into nu-metal, but the compositions in-game made me want to learn more about music. I ended up downloading Cubase, Reasons, Fruity Loops, and whatever program and plugins were out there and just started fucking around. I could not produce anything of value, but I had a blast learning about music and being able to identify what I like (or dislike) about particular songs.

Once old enough, I ended up blasting an entire minimum wage paycheck on a shitty Casio keyboard in feeble attempt to learn to play the keys and took some classes in school. Nowadays, I’m mediocre at best on keys (decent at bass guitar, or so I think), but have a small space in my house dedicated as a studio environment. Music is enjoyable, even if you suck ass.

I cannot see what I liked about The Sims games in retrospect, but the music of the game had a long-lasting impact. Probably would have never picked up an instrument otherwise.

eldri

oogity boogity boo motherfucker
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Happy Wheels has led me to construct an obstacle course in which I will gruesomely die from.
The death course will be finished in a couple of months. When it is finished, I plan on streaming my attempt through the course on Facebook, sharing the link with all kiwis.

NerdShamer

International Glownigger Commander
kiwifarms.net
Guitar Hero got me into learning how to play drums. Granted, I never got a full drum kit and it's one of the easiest instruments to play; but it turned out that it's surprisingly easy to pull a drumroll.

Judge Holden

TRVE BVCK BREAKER
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fortnite inspired me to pledge fealty to the eternal fuhrer Adolf Hitler and dedicate my life to building the Fourth Reich. The connection is so obvious I trust that I dont need to explain it to yall untermensch

Also bizarrely enough TF2 inspired me to learn to properly cook for myself, since I decided while bored to recreate Hoovy's sandvich from scratch, including baking my own bread and creating my own mayo, and after finding that I could make a damn fine loaf of bread and a frankly sublime mayonaisse on my first attempt I started to expand my culinary experimentation to more shit I saw in various forms of media and chose to cook on a whim, from meme inspired tendies and hunny-mussy to DS9 inspired Jambalaya to a south park inspired fritata among many, many others.

Nekromantik

I was phone!
kiwifarms.net
Also bizarrely enough TF2 inspired me to learn to properly cook for myself, since I decided while bored to recreate Hoovy's sandvich from scratch, including baking my own bread and creating my own mayo, and after finding that I could make a damn fine loaf of bread and a frankly sublime mayonaisse on my first attempt I started to expand my culinary experimentation to more shit I saw in various forms of media and chose to cook on a whim, from meme inspired tendies and hunny-mussy to DS9 inspired Jambalaya to a south park inspired fritata among many, many others.
Homemade mayo is the best.

For me it was the Sims and learning to make carbonara and waffles.

WEEDle

kiwifarms.net
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas inspired me to go to the gym for the first time way back when. Watching CJ lift those weights and gain muscle at a ridiculously accelerated pace appealed to my young mind.

It formed a habit that I'd do for a few months, then stop, then pick up, and it's been that way ever since, until I said fuck it and just bought my own equipment for home which I use on the reg. Thanks GTA!

Also Music 2000 for the ps1 was probably indirectly responsible for me downloading FL Studio many years later and making a bunch of songs on there.

Oh yeah, and Mario Kart made me want to go Go karting once, which I did. Not really that cool but it's something I probably wouldn't have done otherwise. I spent the whole time pretending I was in the game.

I'll post more if I think of anything.