Vintage comedy magazines - The National Lampoon, MAD, The Harvard Lampoon and other old comedy mags

Fangsofjeff

♡ meow vey ♡
kiwifarms.net
ITT we appreciate old magazines like The National Lampoon, The Harvard Lampoon, Punch, Puck and MAD. Anything before the 2010's could be considered vintage but I think stuff from the 60's through the 80's seems the most fun.

I just found out about National Lampoon, an American magazine that was published from 1970 to 1998. There's racist jokes, sexist jokes, gay jokes, necrophilia jokes and everything else that would send our modern "church ladies" of social justice into a hissy fit. They broke every taboo and it's very cathartic to see in this day and age where political correctness rules the media.

All issues can be read here:

Here's some offensive highlights that would get you banned on most websites these days:

Are queers keeping you up at night?
NLqueers.png
The civil war between Negroes and Jews
NLcivilwar1.pngNLcivilwar2.pngNLcivilwar3.pngNLcivilwar4.png
Inverted Stereotypes
kek.png kek.png kek.png kek.png
All in de Fambly
kek.png kek.png kek.png kek.png

I'm sure there's more good stuff but I've only skimmed a few issues so far.

Last edited:

Fangsofjeff

♡ meow vey ♡
kiwifarms.net
I miss MAD Magazine, there's no way in hell they'd let it continue today since their mission was to piss off just about everyone.
It's still around but the content is probably different.
From 1952 until 2018, Mad published 550 regular issues, as well as hundreds of reprint "Specials", original-material paperbacks, reprint compilation books and other print projects. The magazine's numbering reverted to 1 with its June 2018 issue, coinciding with the magazine's headquarters move to the West Coast of the United States. In late 2019, Mad slashed its new content and ended its newsstand distribution, becoming available only through the direct market and subscriptions. In 2020, the magazine switched to a nearly all reprint format.
In the 2000's it was mostly making fun of celebrities, not sure what it's like now.

Last edited:

Shiggy Diggster

hulk is such a yo-yo
kiwifarms.net
Moving on at age 13 from Mad to reading back issues of National Lampoon from the local comics store is what made me the man I am today.

A long while back they released a dvdrom with all the issues and I had a torrent open for over a year (shit, maybe two years) waiting for a seeder to seed it to completion.

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
It's still around but the content is probably different.

In the 2000's it was mostly making fun of celebrities, not sure what it's like now.
I don't know what it was like pre-2015 but ever since then it was trump jokes and nothing else.

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
The Beano's got some good shit in it's back catalogue. None of that post-2010 "Dennis is no longer allowed to bully effeminate gay children" crap.

159936289_779b0a6409_o.jpg
lordsnooty_sambo.jpg

Reactions: albertbrown26

Wonderful Id

kiwifarms.net
I remember reading some of my dad's National Lampoon magazines when I was a kid. I really don't remember anything about them except one issue had dirty jokes about Super Mario and the Princess that I was still too young to understand.

That being said, I still love the idea of these magazines and the idea that it is perfectly fine to poke fun at race and religion and that you can make some real funny stuff out of it.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
I watched the movie A Futile and Stupid Gesture, which followed Doug Kenney, one of the founders of National Lampoon. My only experience with National Lampoon had always been the movies plus that one "We'll kill this dog!" cover, so watching the movie made me want to experience all those classic National Lampoon magazines because the movie portrayed them to be hilarious. Only problem is I don't really know where to look to find those old issues. I'm sure they're out there somewhere, especially in compilations, I just wish it was easier to track down. And I'd rather read them physically to get the full experience of thumbing through it and reading the weird, hilarious shit.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I grew up on MADs going back to the late fifties from my dad scrounging longboxes. Toured their office once back around 1990. Very cool place, tons of the shit from their photo parodies were just sitting around everywhere. Bill Gaines's office had a stack of EC reprint (I assume) comics about three feet high.

Reactions: Shiggy Diggster

albertbrown26

FREE ASSANGE
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I only saw the National Lampoon movies growing up with John Belushi and Chevy Chase and the like. The magazine looks pretty nice, even with the satirical articles.

It reminds me of early Playboy before internet adult videos destroyed their zine business.

Also, I think Etsy might be selling a few of them on their website

• Agree
Reactions: Coolio55

Karl_der_Grosse

John Doe #2, Federal Defendant
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Back when PJ O'Rourke was writing for National Lampoon, he did a really funny flowchart showing how flouridated water leads directly to communism.

Reactions: Haramburger
Tags
None