Vinyl set to outsell CDs for first time since 1986 - Hipsters rejoice

Ahriman

Vivere Militare Est.
kiwifarms.net
Source.
1568026333972.png

It comes from a new report by the Recording Industry Association of America

Vinyl is set to outsell CDs for the first time since 1986, a new report reveals.

The revelation comes in a mid-year report from the Recording Industry Association of America.

Last year’s RIAA report revealed that CD sales are dying three times as fast as vinyl sales are growing, and it’s more of the same in this year’s.

The new report states that vinyl records earned $224.1 million (from 8.6 million units) in the first half of 2019. This figure is impressively close to the CD numbers ($247.9 million, 18.6 million units).

1568026358582.png

The Beatles sold 300,000 vinyl records in 2018

With vinyl revenue growing by 12% in the second half of 2018 and first half of this year, and CD rates barely changing at all, it could see vinyl revenue overtake that of CDs by the end of the year.

If it does happen, it’ll be the first time that vinyl has generated more revenue than CDs since 1986.

The report also reveals that, despite vinyl’s growing popularity in relation to CD sales, it still accounts for a relatively small percentage of overall music purchasing.

The RIAA report says that in the first half of 2019, vinyl record sales accounted for only 4% of overall revenues. Paid subscriptions to streaming services like Spotify and Apple Music, meanwhile, accounted for 62%.
Personally I prefer a bigass digital collection rather than a ton of vinyls, but to each his own...

Underestimated Nutria

kiwifarms.net
Someone was telling me about a study a few years ago showing that youngish people have come to prefer the sound of a 3 megabyte mp3 (which I suppose was most common at the time of the study) to alternative, superior forms of compression, or no compression at all ... just because they were used to it, and came to like all the shitty associated artifacts.

Anyway what's the point of getting vinyl if it's made from a digital master? Maybe someone should make an app that adds vinyl pops and clicks to your music ("warmth"), I bet idiots would actually buy it.

Irwin M. Felcher

fiery but mostly peaceful
kiwifarms.net
The report also reveals that, despite vinyl’s growing popularity in relation to CD sales, it still accounts for a relatively small percentage of overall music purchasing.
Aha, there it is. I figured just from the headline this was more "interesting trivia" than "industry sea change".

also Video 2000 4 lyfe scrubs

lil bitch

Ray-Traced Faggotry
kiwifarms.net
i mean that's not that surprising, there is no real reason to buy CD's over vinyl records anymore because it's still digitally compressed on CD and you can just download most albums from an online shop. it's kind of a dead format these days

agreed, vinyl records are a lot more worthy of collection because they're not at all digital. i can just burn my own bootleg album off a CD-R and listen to that instead of buying the official CD, but i can't go burning my own vinyl records just like that.

Cowboy Kim

Mecha-Mania Boy
kiwifarms.net
Last edited:

REGENDarySumanai

DSFARGEG
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Some companies even release some songs exclusively on records, kinda like how there are bonus tracks on Japanese releases.

Rancid Flid

Panzer vor !
kiwifarms.net
The only thing I miss about music on vinyl is the artwork on album covers, some of which I used to put up on my bedroom wall back in the day. Having lyrics you could actually read on a gate-fold album was good too. CD's are just too small to have any artistic interest for me but that's what I mainly listen to today, usually in the car. There's still a small market for CD's amongst oldfags like me.

I've never really liked metal but used to like looking at some of my mates album covers, which in pre-internet days, was probably our main exposure to non-traditional art.

1568030655161.png

Least Concern

Pretend I have a Biden avatar like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
i mean that's not that surprising, there is no real reason to buy CD's over vinyl records anymore because it's still digitally compressed on CD and you can just download most albums from an online shop. it's kind of a dead format these days
Audio on compact discs are digitally encoded, but they are not digitally compressed. Remember CDs became publicly available in 1982, and consumer-level computer hardware was not yet powerful enough to do MP3-like audio decompression in real time. From a purely technical level, you will still get better sound quality from a CD than you will from a file you'd buy from Apple or Amazon or the various competitors. But if you're like me, you can't hear the difference anyway.

Positron

Champions the Anglo-Saxon shitposting tradition
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I had to convert My CD's from the previous decade to Wav files because they started gathering mold.
Mold can be washed away easily but CDs made until the late 1980s do rot, even if they came from such hi-tech countries as West Germany or USA.
Japan-pressed CDs never rot. I'm absolutely impressed.

Positron

Champions the Anglo-Saxon shitposting tradition
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Last edited:

Ahriman

Vivere Militare Est.
kiwifarms.net
Mold can be washed away easily but CDs made until the late 1980s do rot, even if they came from such hi-tech countries as West Germany or USA.
Japan-pressed CDs never rot. I'm absolutely impressed.
See, I'd keep a music collection half CD, half digital library in a home server. I want all fully uncompressed audio available at my fingertips.