Vinyl set to outsell CDs for first time since 1986 - Hipsters rejoice

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
Mold can be washed away easily but CDs made until the late 1980s do rot, even if they came from such hi-tech countries as West Germany or USA.
Japan-pressed CDs never rot. I'm absolutely impressed.

I've had to replace CDs because they got scratched up, broken, or bent but I don't think I've ever had to replace a CD for disk rot and I have hundreds of CDs (granted, some of which I haven't listened to in decades).

I acknowledge that that's only my own experience and I know glue rot has affected some of the billions of CDs ever produced but I'm skeptical that glue rot is as prevalent for CDs as it was for Laserdiscs.

I'm a CD die-hard. I buy vinyl very occasionally but I still prefer how music sounds on CD over how it sounds on either vinyl or mp3 and I also like how you can play a CD on nearly anything with an optical drive, which is also a thing I still like to have on my computers.

MerriedxReldnahc

World's Okay-est Proctologist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I like both vinyl and CDs, personally CDs are much more convenient for me since I'm more likely to be near a CD player than a turntable. (Though I got a sweet 6 in 1 Victrola last Christmas so I can listen to records in my studio now. And I have a functioning tape deck again*!) I'll get vinyl if the art is really cool or if it's some crazy weird thing I can't get on CD. You do kind of get that snap, crackle, and pop, but it makes your old-school Black Sabbath records more badass.
I never really got into digital formats unless you count listening to stuff off of Youtube. It's free, and if I like it enough I buy a physical album.

*though all my tapes are super old and sound pretty horrible. Sucks 'cause nearly all of my Iron Maiden is on cassette.

AbyssStarer

Missionary of the Birb Church
kiwifarms.net
I still get some CDs to listen to in my car. They have better sound quality and I'm never tempted to fuck around on my phone while I'm driving. I also prefer the experience of a meticulously crafted album than shuffling all my music or a mismashed playlist.

I kind of get the appeal of a vinyl, but they're so bulky and susceptible to heat and whatever. I think the only retro music format I could get into is tapes. I like tape hiss and I actually grew up with tapes.

Cryonic Haunted Bullets

Niemals schlafen! Alles Lügen!
kiwifarms.net
I've had to replace CDs because they got scratched up, broken, or bent but I don't think I've ever had to replace a CD for disk rot and I have hundreds of CDs (granted, some of which I haven't listened to in decades).

I acknowledge that that's only my own experience and I know glue rot has affected some of the billions of CDs ever produced but I'm skeptical that glue rot is as prevalent for CDs as it was for Laserdiscs.

I'm a CD die-hard. I buy vinyl very occasionally but I still prefer how music sounds on CD over how it sounds on either vinyl or mp3 and I also like how you can play a CD on nearly anything with an optical drive, which is also a thing I still like to have on my computers.
THIS. Honestly I hope that the music industry comes to its senses and CDs have a resurgence.