Virginia highschool tempbans two classics for racial slurs -

Jaiman

pink pastel equine enthusiast
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Article

A Virginia school has temporarily banned two American classics after a parent said her high school-age son was negatively impacted by the racial slurs they contain.

The decision to remove "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" by Mark Twain and "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee came after a parent filed a complaint, WAVY reported. The parent cited excessive racial slurs as the reason for wanting the books banned, Superintendent Warren Holland told the news station.

The parent, whose son is biracial, said that her concerns are "not even just a black and white thing."

"I keep hearing, 'This is a classic, This is a classic,' ... I understand this is a literature classic. But at some point, I feel that children will not -- or do not -- truly get the classic part -- the literature part, which I'm not disputing," she said at a Nov. 15 school board meeting. "This is great literature. But there (are so many) racial slurs in there and offensive wording that you can't get past that."

The parent said her son, who was reading "Huckleberry Finn" for a high school assignment, couldn't get past a certain page in that story on which the N-word appeared seven times.

A racial slur appears 219 times in "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and 48 times in "To Kill a Mockingbird."

"So what are we teaching our children? We're validating that these words are acceptable, and they are not acceptable by (any) means," the parent said, also noting psychological effects language has on children. "There is other literature they can use."

The parent proposed a committee made up of parents and teachers of different cultural backgrounds come up with a list of books that are inclusive for all students. She also offered to donate books and raise funds in the case of budgetary concerns.

The complaint, which was "a request for reconsideration of learning resources," will go before a committee made up of a principal, librarian, teacher, parent and potentially others, according to WCMH. The committee will then make a recommendation to the superintendent.

Holland said that there is no set date for when the recommendation will be made.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This doesn't shock me it's happened before and sadly will again.

Fun fact I REALLY hate Steinbeck, I just want to punch him as I flipped the pages in his novels we had in high school. So I played this card and got to spend my entire year reading Lovecraft. I even got my black friend in on it and he got to read anything he wanted too all year around. Shit was giggles, manipulating the school as wee 10th graders.

Hortator

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
To Kill a Mockingbird was an amazing piece of literature. These English teachers do their profession shame.

I disagreed with certain elements, like the way they portrayed Tom and Atticus as these impossibly righteous pillars of morality with no flaws. That just wasn't very relatable, how perfect and unblemished these two men were. But that's my only critique.

Euphues Evenlede

autiste extraordinaire
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Forgive me MLK for taking the name of Blacks in vain.

It's especially ironic that the two books that were instrumental in the rise of Civil Rights should be the ones subject to such censorship.

This kid's in High School? He can handle the Nigger word. Or does she want her son to grow up to be a faggot?

CWCchange

ǝƃuɐɥɔƆMƆ
kiwifarms.net
The war on American literature in American schools has been ongoing for quite some time now. I'm not surprised outright bans are being issued in a frenzy, with it being Trump's fault and all apparently. Some years back, politically correct versions of Mark Twain's works were proposed by replacing the word n1gger with "slave," "Injun" with Indian, and "half-breed" with half-blood. Frankly, I'm surprised the last term isn't offensive to this exceptional mulatto.

Last edited:

RomanesEuntDomus

May contain nuts.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Any day I read about how SJWs got triggered by classic literature, I halfway expect to also read that they proceeded to burn the books that offended them.

This person might think she's doing the kids a favor, but ultimately, she fights for ignorrance. If she finds the use of these words offensive and thinks kids should not just be exposed to them, she could verify that the children have enough educational background to understand the context of these books and the words.

FFS, these people want to keep their kids in a precious bubble where nothing "badwrong" may enter, even if it's just a word they disapprove of... and they are naive enough to expect this to somehow improve anything.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino