Virtue Ethics and Natural Law

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

autisticdragonkin

Eric Borsheim
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Virtue Ethics is the ethical system in which it is considered good for things to fulfill their purposes. Everything has a purpose or Telos, and virtue is what allows it to fulfill its Telos. Virtue does not refer to goodness but rather to excellence. A sharp knife is a virtuous knife despite a sharp knife being able to be used to cut food as well as people. A dull knife is unable to cut anything so as a result it is unable too fulfill its purpose, if it were sharp (virtuous) it would be able to fulfill its purpose despite also being able to be used against its purpose. Moral virtue is the trait that allows people to make moral decisions and it is a virtue. Virtue ethics is notable for taking into account the person making the decision and their purpose as opposed to trying to impose universal rules and this makes it very different from conventional morality and I would say it is the reason why virtue ethical statements are meaningful whereas deontological and utilitarian statements are not.

Natural law is the form of virtue ethics most associated with Aristotle and the Catholic Church. There are other forms of virtue ethics that are different from it such as my form and the Ethic of Care

Last edited:

Sanshain

Avatar? I don't need no stinkin' avatar.
kiwifarms.net
A starter that begins with a completely unveiled insult to a noted poster while simultaneously bragging mean-spiritedly about how your attempt was so much better? I predict great things for this thread.

The 25th Cyberman

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yes, but by that logic rapists are virtuous, as they fulfill their purpose of reproducing. Also, the OP is not very well written.

autisticdragonkin

Eric Borsheim
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yes, but by that logic rapists are virtuous, as they fulfill their purpose of reproducing. Also, the OP is not very well written.
That would possibly be the case depending on the environment and the Telos but not in all systems of virtue ethics and often times it would reflect a lack of moral virtue if still a presence of virtue. Not all virtues are always together so just being able to do an "evil" thing shows the presence of virtue used to perform it as well as the lack of moral virtue to know not to do it