Voice of Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch, Caroll Spinney, is retiring

UnKillShredDur

Tonight I dine on turtle soup... In California.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
touch.png
dads.png

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
I remain astonished he was still doing it at 85? I mean okay Oscar the Grouch I get. But have you ever looked at how Big Bird get's puppeted? The dudes left arm is always straight up holding and controlling the head. And that sucker has got to be heavy.
For the most part, Carrol's only doing the voice these days. Matt Vogel's the primary puppeteer as of the early 2000s.

chunkygoth

now with extra yee haw
kiwifarms.net
I've always knew this was gonna happen someday, but it doesn't make this any less bittersweet. I'm beyond amazed that Caroll Spinney has stayed on Sesame Street for literally decades since its very first episode. Thank you for touching the lives of children (and grown-ups) everywhere.

A youtube comment from the video:
Probably the only occasion an actor inside a huge yellow bird costume displays tremendous dignity.

Commander Keen

in GOODBYE GALAXY!!!
kiwifarms.net
He apparently became good friends with Waylon Jennings after Waylon appeared on the Muppet Show, so he must be a pretty cool dude.

Waylon Jennings was always a very affable sort. Made friends with everyone, but that may have been because he was a hard partier. Or it was because he was a nice guy. Him giving up his seat for his friend who wasn’t feeling well saved his life (the day the music died). This 84 year old gentleman might have some stories to tell, even if he knew Waylon Jennings after he gave up the drugs.

The Shadow

As you sow evil, so shall you reap.
kiwifarms.net
Waylon Jennings was always a very affable sort. Made friends with everyone, but that may have been because he was a hard partier. Or it was because he was a nice guy. Him giving up his seat for his friend who wasn’t feeling well saved his life (the day the music died). This 84 year old gentleman might have some stories to tell, even if he knew Waylon Jennings after he gave up the drugs.
I want to picture Spinney as being right there when Waylon got busted flushing coke down the toilet though.

NumberingYourState

the late nightmare special
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
We will always have role models like him to thank for keeping the childhood populace steady. We have fewer and fewer Carroll Spinney's by the decade on television though. Thank you for your contributions.

CausticMinory

Meanie, fat guy, doesn't like nice guys.
kiwifarms.net
Do you think when the time comes, they'll honor him like they did when Mr. Hooper's actor died? But how do you explain to kids that Big Bird, one of the main Muppet's on Sesame Street, is gone?

I know they'll just get a new actor but still.

Cardenio

*YAWN*
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I did not like Big Bird as a child, he scared me. :O

But enough about me this guy’s performance was watched by millions of kids. This is like the nation’s old elementary school teacher finally retiring. Hope the guy has a solid retirement instead of just dropping dead immediately after.

Overcast

Buttmunch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hearing the news, I couldn't help but look back and really appreciate Big Bird. To me, he was the representative of everything that was Sesame Street.

A little sad the guy behind him has moved on, but at the same time, a little happy about all the nice memories he's created.

You did good work Carrol. Have yourself a great retirement!

Kiwi Lime Pie

Tastefully melting away the snowflakes. 🥝🥧🐈
kiwifarms.net
It was time. I mean 85? Whoa! But what a run he's had. Thanks for all the fun memories. Oscar was my favorite character on Sesame Street and Big Bird was the icon of Sesame Street for me as a kid. I still remember watching Follow That Bird when I was little.

Full credit to Mr. Spinney for all the years he poured into this and making so many kids happy.

To see Mr. Spinney start with the show at its inception and continue for 50 years is impressive and shows a high level of dedication. It seems rare to see someone do something like this for the pure enjoyment that he appeared to have for his roles.

I hope he gets to enjoy his well-deserved retirement. :semperfi: for five decades of your work with young children.

TrippinKahlua

Jacob Sockness - A Portrait
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Does this mean the Orange Oscar the Grouch is coming back?

Are they going to paint Big Bird blue again?

BIG BIRDS FEATHERS ARE NOT BLUE!

8777BB5

Keep Her Sexy and Straightforward
kiwifarms.net
Does this mean the Orange Oscar the Grouch is coming back?

Are they going to paint Big Bird blue again?

BIG BIRDS FEATHERS ARE NOT BLUE!

:offtopic: I had a teacher who had a recurring nightmare about being chased around a manor by a Blue feathered Big Bird that had the fangs of a rattlesnake. Every time I see Blue Big Bird it makes me laugh