Voltron Fandom - Bury your gays!

PoisonedBun

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As most of you are probably unaware, Voltron Season 7 just finished airing. While the Voltron fandom is a huge clusterfuck with plenty of terrible content to sift through, this thread for one thing: Adam and Shiro.

See, it was announced in a trailer recently that Shiro canonically had an ex-boyfriend we had never met before named Adam. Fans must have been elated for a scrap of representation....right?

87CC4798-B88D-4664-BA7B-D7D2B5C08663.jpeg

B3852963-5E40-40D6-AC0E-5E3CE6F1CEEC.jpeg

5602C658-A03B-4269-B20D-8FDDE65FBC57.jpeg

SHeiths weren’t too happy. So, that in and of itself was a problem leading up to the day of airing causing a lot of unrest within the fandom. Further arguments started to break out at hints that Adam may be dead.

F6C8C43E-F9E5-4189-9F60-DA2CA228C811.jpeg

018A3758-3626-4A99-BC3F-0A446DC2BC09.jpeg

F4B64D1E-B6DC-43EA-88B9-6188A56965AD.jpeg

The day of reconing came when the show aired, though, and this happened:

B8DEBCCE-EF67-4B68-AF48-6AFAD5284DFF.jpeg

After being introduced, Adam was almost immediately killed in the middle of combat. Of course, the biggest sin any show can commit in SJW eyes is to permanently kill someone who is not a straight white man. ‘Bury your gays’ is the term, and the fandom is none too happy with this.

989736FA-7D70-49D4-A44C-0A66DC6E2501.jpeg

30C4A51D-1814-4EF6-BDC6-2918F66F678A.jpeg

8DB256E1-293C-48A5-9BB8-39A6837537D4.jpeg

Considering they have been proven to threaten creators before, the following weeks could get interesting.

0E5AFA28-97A2-44FE-AD8D-BE4AD56D8683.jpeg

Bex Taylor-Klaus, voice of Pidge.

(I’ve never made a thread before, so I hope this is appropriate. Please let me know what I can do to improve it.)

UPDATE: 12/14/18

VOLTRON LEAKS CONFIRMED REAL

Summary of events:

-Shiro was established as gay last season with a boyfriend who was on screen for about 8 seconds before getting killed. This upset quite a few people.
-Constant executive meddling was all but confirmed around this time, as the writing staff had to fight for the scene saying they were lovers that was still censored from some international cuts. It is heavily speculated that the plot became severely derailed early on and that Shiro’s destiny was to die at the climax of the series, so this whole ending was off the cuff.
-Mysterious images out of Malaysia and Poland start pouring out late October. This confirms several things: the black woman dies, Shiro gets married to a Macross look alike, nobody's ships become endgame, mass fandom chaos ensues. Staff remains incredibly quiet despite offered several attempts to clear the air regarding the leaks. Tensions are high.
-December 14th, the final season of Voltron airs.
-The leaks are real. Everything comes to pass.
-Because the crew was scrambling for an ending, as a bandaid solution to the incredibly upset fans, Shiro is allowed to marry a rando at the end of the last episode. He was previously a reference to a Macross character, but now is a completely different design for reasons unknown.
-A main character, a black woman, was killed indeed killed the finale.
-Fan favorite character Lotor, whereabouts unknown who was hinted at to still be alive, has his grotesquely rotten corpse shown slightly on screen.
-Autism ensues. Voltron is currently trending on twitter.

twitter.PNG

Last edited:

Ride

Staff Member
Intelligence
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I’ve never made a thread before, so I hope this is appropriate. Please let me know what I can do to improve it.
We had an OP on the Voltron community but I'm not seeing it. In order for this to work, you'd have to rewrite it to be about the Voltron fan community as a whole, as how it currently is, it doesn't fit in any content forums.

Daisy

I have a complicated relationship with Mondays
kiwifarms.net
I love how any character showing interest in a member of the opposite sex automatically makes Canon Het. Because S7 totally ended with Keith marrying Axca while Hunk tried to decide whether to give Pidge or Shay an engagement ring and Romelle made out with Coran. Amazing how these people who are SO SICK OMG of seeing het everywhere...see het everywhere.

PoisonedBun

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
We had an OP on the Voltron community but I'm not seeing it. In order for this to work, you'd have to rewrite it to be about the Voltron fan community as a whole, as how it currently is, it doesn't fit in any content forums.
I thought fandom specfic threads weren't allowed anymore?

I was thinking this could go into the tumblr subforum a la the Johnlock Conspiracy. It’s that entire crowd.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kurosaki Ichigo

WE TUMBLIN DOWN
kiwifarms.net
Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Personally, I think Voltron has replaced Steven Universe for the title of Worst Fandom. Sure, SU almost caused a suicide of a fan artist but I don't think I've ever heard of any other modern IP whose existence was threatened by its own fans.

Also I feel for that VA, she sounds like she's close to snapping.

Ride

Staff Member
Intelligence
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm pretty sure this belong in the Shippers thread in Community Watch, since Salt Mine subforum isn't a thing anymore.
Actually, I think the last attempt at an OP for the Voltron community was merged into that thread. This OP will have to be more expansive than it currently is or it will probably get merged to that thread.
I thought fandom specfic threads weren't allowed anymore?
We don't have a rule against fandom specific threads.

Cubanodun

Pixel Perfect Troll
kiwifarms.net
Wasn't this fandom always a hellish mess of entitled faggots? I remember the story of some fan gaining some major spoiler info, and refusing to return it to the company and not make public unless they confirm his favourite gay ship was canon.
Pretty much, not like the fandom of autistic idiots that the legend of korra has but they are almost as bad, im more surprised that they put the apple of "muh representation" on their faces and decided to just blast the apple and spit on it just to made them mad, a wise move

PoisonedBun

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pretty much, not like the fandom of autistic idiots that the legend of korra has but they are almost as bad, im more surprised that they put the apple of "muh representation" on their faces and decided to just blast the apple and spit on it just to made them mad, a wise move
I wondered that too. It turns out they had a lot more planned that was slowly but surely widdled away by Dreamworks, and they took so many compromises they had almost none left. I accept this as most likely the truth, since apparently some countries changed the dialogue to have Adam only as Shieth’s roommate. I think the writers considered the fact they got in a mention at all a huge victory - but Tumblr isn’t willing to understand how those politics work. ‘But Steven Universe did it!’ They’ll cry. The reason Steven Universe gets away with what it does is because the crew is incredibly savvy in this respect. Ruby looks ultra butch so they can dub her as a man in other languages. Romantic ideas are often expressed through words that can be changed. Footage gets heavily edited before it leaves US shores.

The world (read: foreign markets with $$$ and anti-homosexuality laws) isn’t ready for a lot of homosexuality in media, let alone children’s media. It’ll take another few decades to get anywhere near that. Of course, if you’re an adult critically consuming a children’s show to the level of Voltron fans, you probably don’t have a lot of critical thinking skills.

Cubanodun

Pixel Perfect Troll
kiwifarms.net
I wondered that too. It turns out they had a lot more planned that was slowly but surely widdled away by Dreamworks, and they took so many compromises they had almost none left. I accept this as most likely the truth, since apparently some countries changed the dialogue to have Adam only as Shieth’s roommate. I think the writers considered the fact they got in a mention at all a huge victory - but Tumblr isn’t willing to understand how those politics work. ‘But Steven Universe did it!’ They’ll cry. The reason Steven Universe gets away with what it does is because the crew is incredibly savvy in this respect. Ruby looks ultra butch so they can dub her as a man in other languages. Romantic ideas are often expressed through words that can be changed. Footage gets heavily edited before it leaves US shores.

The world (read: foreign markets with $$$ and anti-homosexuality laws) isn’t ready for a lot of homosexuality in media, let alone children’s media. It’ll take another few decades to get anywhere near that. Of course, if you’re an adult critically consuming a children’s show to the level of Voltron fans, you probably don’t have a lot of critical thinking skills.
I found terrible that people dont want series with heavy lore, complex plot and well written episodes, no, the first thing they want is their gays because if it doesnt have a gay then is shit

Tlazolli

pingas
kiwifarms.net

The dumb fucks don’t seem to understand that SU is an original property and not a brand. Voltron is a successful franchise with and extensive toyline, with multiple adaptations and under a big name company like DreamWorks.
To put it bluntly, SU could get away with it because CN had nothing to lose, something you cannot say about a cash cow brand like Voltron.

Tags
tumblr

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino