VPNs -

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Verizon VPN.png

In light of Verizon deanonymizing users, I think now is a good time to discuss VPNs. The link you're given for a VPN isn't free though, they want, albeit it's a decent deal, $6 a month.

My interest in this thread is discussing other good VPN brands, which I think is a good idea in case the known and trusted either fall through or go rogue.

A good one I know of that's for free is SecurityKiss. I think everybody knows HideMyAss but it looks like they might've been bought out by PrivateInternetAccess seeing as how their front page is identical in design with three payment plans, pimping out the one in the middle the hardest as the longest running and cheapest of the trio. I don't know what they're like now seeing as how they were useless for the most part back when they were just a list of server IP addresses you could punch into Firefox.

Speaking of, proxy servers are a good option too if you have them.

tehpope

Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I use AirVPN. Good servers. p2p speeds are great. Never had an issues with them. They use OpenVPN, accept a variety of payment methods (Bitcoin, cash, debit cards or cash cards) and you don't have to exchange personal info to get an account. Only a username, password and email.

I've also used NordVPN, but really wasn't happy with them. Nice front end for windows, but their p2p speeds were shit. Still have an account since I paid for 2 years up front.

If you live in the west (US, Canada, UK, Australia, or New Zealand) and don't want your privacy compromised, get a VPN that not within those countries (aka Five Eyes). https://www.privacytools.io/#vpn

LikeicareKF

Always remember, Null favours me over you
kiwifarms.net
If you live in the west (US, Canada, UK, Australia, or New Zealand) and don't want your privacy compromised, get a VPN that not within those countries (aka Five Eyes). https://www.privacytools.io/#vpn
No this is false. Australia has insane privacy laws and telco companies can not reveal any of your information without your direct approval unless you are under investigation for a major crine

Plus nothing you are going to say on here is going to be of any interest to intel agencies

If you are into anything that is likely to get you under surveillance by ASIO then tbh its already too late for you to bother

Genghis Khan

Slaying since 1162
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 297828
In light of Verizon deanonymizing users, I think now is a good time to discuss VPNs. The link you're given for a VPN isn't free though, they want, albeit it's a decent deal, $6 a month.

My interest in this thread is discussing other good VPN brands, which I think is a good idea in case the known and trusted either fall through or go rogue.

A good one I know of that's for free is SecurityKiss. I think everybody knows HideMyAss but it looks like they might've been bought out by PrivateInternetAccess seeing as how their front page is identical in design with three payment plans, pimping out the one in the middle the hardest as the longest running and cheapest of the trio. I don't know what they're like now seeing as how they were useless for the most part back when they were just a list of server IP addresses you could punch into Firefox.

Speaking of, proxy servers are a good option too if you have them.
Do I look wealthy? Also
>implying those companies aren't selling your data to third parties

Kazami Yuuka

Enjoy the ment
kiwifarms.net
AirVPN's relatively cheap ($6-$7 a month), not data capped, and has a good bit of server selections. If you choose it, download the Eddie client, especially for the fact that you can "lock" your network to VPN only so you don't have to worry when jumping around networks or if the VPN server disconnects. Affiliate link
If you're really desperate, there's always Hotspot Shield, which always worked well, at least for getting around my high school filter (which also means that some of the servers are probably blocked on a lot of sites). I believe that you'll get ads that are tacked on to HTTP sites, but not HTTPS. Use it at your risk. I included a ZIP of it below, but it might not post. Link

Attachments

• Agree
Reactions: Burgers in the ass

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
A good one I know of that's for free is SecurityKiss. I think everybody knows HideMyAss but it looks like they might've been bought out by PrivateInternetAccess seeing as how their front page is identical in design with three payment plans, pimping out the one in the middle the hardest as the longest running and cheapest of the trio.
I wouldn't trust HideMyAss at all. It has a terrible reputation. Also, if it was bought out by PIA, that would be good if they actually just flat out took it over and got rid of everyone who was previously there. It is pretty widely viewed as a honeypot.

By comparison, any time lawyers or even LEAs have gone to PIA to try to get anything, they've come back empty-handed.

Also the $6.95 a month price is only if you buy per month. It's $3.33 per month yearly. It also has a robust collection of geographical locations in most countries you'd want to be "from" and, unlike some VPN services, is idiot simple to set up.

I use AirVPN. Good servers. p2p speeds are great.
Have you tried any of their fancier features? The nerdishness of them seemed like their main selling point. It would be fairly easy to use a router with custom firmware to handle the VPN entirely on the router end of it so that it's transparent for the home network.

tehpope

Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A) TOR is slow as fuck
B) If you're not using some encryption (i.e. HTTPS, VPN, et al), who ever run's the exit node your info leaves out of and/or the site can still read it.

• Agree
Reactions: Alex Poulos

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
A) TOR is slow as fuck
B) If you're not using some encryption (i.e. HTTPS, VPN, et al), who ever run's the exit node your info leaves out of and/or the site can still read it.
You should always use https (https-everywhere works for this). And noscript on all but trusted sites. Also just because the end node can sniff traffic doesn't mean it knows where it's from. Where you're in trouble is if the entry and exit node are in cahoots, which is what a TLA would do. If they really wanted to compromise the network, they'd set up a large number of their own nodes, make them highly reliable so they get picked in chains, and then degrade service to other nodes in the network to increase the likelihood of using their nodes.

Or more likely just do what they did to Dread Pirate Roberts and exploit some insecure app on the server end to get its real IP address, compromise the server, and use any information gained by that to go after whoever.

Nobody who is going to attack this site is remotely capable of anything like this and a VPN by itself is probably just fine if you use it correctly.

• Informative
Reactions: Alex Poulos

tyjc

kiwifarms.net
After Nulls recent announcement about getting a VPN I finally went and got one (InternetPrivateAccess). Wanted to do it for years but I was lazy and never really needed it.

Anyway I'm curious if there are ways to still leak your IP even on a VPN? I think I remember reading something about it but I'm not sure.
Is a VPN enough or should I make extra steps? If so, what?

Last edited:

Posthumorous

Keeper of the Sacred Windows Vista.
kiwifarms.net
After Nulls recent announcement about getting a VPN I finally went and got one (InternetPrivateAccess). Wanted to do it for years but I was lazy and never really needed it.

Anyway I'm curious if there are ways for you still leak your IP even on a VPN? I think I remember reading something about it but I'm not sure.
You could use the Tor Browser. You could also have Tails, Debian, or other privacy-minded Linux distro natively on a PC, booted via USB, or on a VM. I would suggest looking around as well.

TheChivalrysOath

kiwifarms.net

Anyway I'm curious if there are ways for you still leak your IP even on a VPN? I think I remember reading something about it but I'm not sure.

My suggestion is take a look through this and use the maximum protection settings.

Tags
None