Waifus (and husbandos) that we don't get why they're so popular. - Throw quick jabs at popular characters you don't like.

Dick Justice

Where have all the cowdogs gone?
kiwifarms.net
Haruhi, maybe? Or would she fall under the manic pixie dream girl category?
What, Suzumiya? An uppity tsundere that goes for the most blah guy ever apropos of nothing AND pulls him into a whole crazy world of excitement and intrigue? She's the dream girl of every chuuni autist and every super reserved apathetic loser. The diet coke nhk ni youkoso. It doesn't help that characters constantly comment how attractive she is throughout the show either.

Orion Balls

Sorry Wendy, I love my hat girl.
kiwifarms.net
Hinata and Sakura. Don't get the appeal of either one, one's a doormat and the other is a slightly louder doormat.
There are so many characters named Hinata and Sakura in anime. I know you're talking about Naruto, though.

Also, mine is either Haruhi Suzumiya or Yuno Gasai. Both are insane in a pretty bad way.

Reactions: Vlinny Chan

Doctor Placebo

Western education is sin.
kiwifarms.net
What, Suzumiya? An uppity tsundere that goes for the most blah guy ever apropos of nothing AND pulls him into a whole crazy world of excitement and intrigue? She's the dream girl of every chuuni autist and every super reserved apathetic loser. The diet coke nhk ni youkoso. It doesn't help that characters constantly comment how attractive she is throughout the show either.
This is a super autistic thing to debate, especially since I don't even think the show is actually good, but I'd disagree that Kyon is the most blah guy ever. Actually as far as male harem anime protagonists go, he's pretty decent. I know that's a really low bar, but nonetheless. He's really snarky, he gets horny without being an over the top pervert or reduced to a blubbering idiot, he generally tries to stick up for himself and others against Haruhi's bullshit (although because of the show's premise there's only so much he can do), and overall he tries to be the voice of reason and responsibility among the main characters. He even actively attempts to pursue girls occasionally, unlike nearly every other harem protagonist ever (looking at you, Tenchi), and he has far more holding him back from that than most harem protagonists do.

On the other hand, yeah Haruhi is a shit waifu. Kind of interesting as a story concept, but not someone anyone sane would ever want to hang out with in real life, let alone be romantically involved with. An extremely self-centered bipolar tsundere who's secretly a reality warping god, but doesn't know it. Everyone has to put up with her being a fickle, abusive bitch because they're afraid she'll unintentionally destroy the universe if they don't. That's the franchise's premise, for anyone who doesn't know.
1591826421364.png

Haruhi is actually the primary antagonist, her friends (if you can call them that) are forced to conform to the roles she puts them in, she treats them more like toys than actual friends, she's a selfish, emotionally underdeveloped child, and none of it is really even her fault. It's actually an interesting deconstruction of the manic pixie dream girl concept, except because it's supposed to be a mostly lighthearted comedy, it really downplays all the rather horrifying aspects of the premise.

I guess we're supposed to support the idea that Kyon will get together with Haruhi in the end, even though he has more chemistry with both the other main girls and he's basically stuck with her because she has a crush on him (which she's a bitch about, because tsundere) and will end the universe (unintentionally) if he breaks her heart.
Which is a really messed up relationship dynamic, if you think about it. He's being forced into a pretty toxic relationship under threat of total destruction of everything. Yet the tone most of the time is like a typical romantic comedy.

That's the main problem with the franchise, I guess. The concept is dark as hell, but it's given a mostly light romantic comedy treatment. The result is a story that spends most of its time avoiding anything meaningful happening, because most meaningful things that could happen would be really dark and completely change the tone of the series. Hence MoHS's godawful pacing.

FaramirG

kiwifarms.net
She's a nerd's dream girl, but if pandering to nerds is the standard then literally every anime is pandering. Also with NHK, it's kind of different because Misaki's "dream girl saving a NEET" thing turns out to just be an act and she's actually just a mentally ill stalker preying on the most pathetic man she could find.

Dick Justice

kiwifarms.net
This is a super autistic thing to debate, especially since I don't even think the show is actually good, but I'd disagree that Kyon is the most blah guy ever. Actually as far as male harem anime protagonists go, he's pretty decent. I know that's a really low bar, but nonetheless. He's really snarky, he gets horny without being an over the top pervert or reduced to a blubbering idiot, he generally tries to stick up for himself and others against Haruhi's bullshit (although because of the show's premise there's only so much he can do), and overall he tries to be the voice of reason and responsibility among the main characters. He even actively attempts to pursue girls occasionally, unlike nearly every other harem protagonist ever (looking at you, Tenchi), and he has far more holding him back from that than most harem protagonists do.

On the other hand, yeah Haruhi is a shit waifu. Kind of interesting as a story concept, but not someone anyone sane would ever want to hang out with in real life, let alone be romantically involved with. An extremely self-centered bipolar tsundere who's secretly a reality warping god, but doesn't know it. Everyone has to put up with her being a fickle, abusive bitch because they're afraid she'll unintentionally destroy the universe if they don't. That's the franchise's premise, for anyone who doesn't know.
View attachment 1366226
Haruhi is actually the primary antagonist, her friends (if you can call them that) are forced to conform to the roles she puts them in, she treats them more like toys than actual friends, she's a selfish, emotionally underdeveloped child, and none of it is really even her fault. It's actually an interesting deconstruction of the manic pixie dream girl concept, except because it's supposed to be a mostly lighthearted comedy, it really downplays all the rather horrifying aspects of the premise.

I guess we're supposed to support the idea that Kyon will get together with Haruhi in the end, even though he has more chemistry with both the other main girls and he's basically stuck with her because she has a crush on him (which she's a bitch about, because tsundere) and will end the universe (unintentionally) if he breaks her heart.
Which is a really messed up relationship dynamic, if you think about it. He's being forced into a pretty toxic relationship under threat of total destruction of everything. Yet the tone most of the time is like a typical romantic comedy.

That's the main problem with the franchise, I guess. The concept is dark as hell, but it's given a mostly light romantic comedy treatment. The result is a story that spends most of its time avoiding anything meaningful happening, because most meaningful things that could happen would be really dark and completely change the tone of the series. Hence MoHS's godawful pacing.
This is all true, but given the warped perceptions of animu fandoms I mean shit remember this is a genre where "yandere" isn't just a thing, but widely considered a good and popular thing(!) it all conforms to neatly to genre stereotypes that sell blu-rays and figurines. I didn't have the stomach to watch anything after the original show but the way she's presented there at least is a lot like if someone forced Hamlet into a Hetalia mold, stereotyped and pandering...which I guess is just another way of saying I agree.
She's a nerd's dream girl, but if pandering to nerds is the standard then literally every anime is pandering. Also with NHK, it's kind of different because Misaki's "dream girl saving a NEET" thing turns out to just be an act and she's actually just a mentally ill stalker preying on the most pathetic man she could find.
If Misaki is your ideal waifu, then the realization that she's just as fragile and insecure is just another charm point. "She's not just an angel, she's one that's too broken to ever leave me!" It's one of those defects that actually turns out to be a strength, like how in dansi koukousei no nitijou when the characters have a seinfeld moment talking about how clumsy girls are cute.
literally every anime is pandering.
Anime was a mistake. :^(

Reactions: Vlinny Chan

PootisMan

Prohet of Pootis #ProtectSection230
kiwifarms.net
What's the real point have a waifus or husbandos? Like, if you want to wank it off to a character then go head; just don't shove it down people's throats. Also, saying people are twelve for thinking Muffet is a interesting character? Lol, nice bait mate.

Reactions: DatBepisTho

CDWLTY

kiwifarms.net
I guess Chie from Persona 4? Even back when I liked the game I didn’t understand why people rank her as best girl when the others were generally more interesting to me as characters.

Also yeah, Monika is a sociopath who got a girl to commit suicide and mentally abuses the others. Why are nerds attracted to that?
Guys are fucking retarded about women. They have phenominally optimistic perceptions and never truly evaluate their relationship quality until long after it ends, if ever. They think a Yandy gal will be very loyal and loving, which somehow is a good thing instead of the actuality. Really, she snoops, she destroys things that take your attention away from her, she follows you, she attacks people who interact with you in any capacity, she'll sabatoge sources of joy if they don't come from her, etc. It's awful.

Usually, it's about the looks. If they look hot, then this weird projection of their ideal traits is kinda overlaid and pasted over her actual behavior. It's 'cute' that she hits him when he laughs at her, not abusive. It's funny how she eats junk food and takes in 6000 calories a day while doing nothing but napping. Soooo cute and lazy!
I never really got the appeal of Felix from Re;Zero, he's just there for some bizarre form of fanservice. The kind of fanservice that makes you question your sexuality. It's always either Felix or Astolfo from the Fate series when traps are talked about.
It's hilarious when people talk about astolfo or the cat trap. They're not real, and the only reason anime is hot to us is because it exploits the gap of the unreal idealization being filled in mentally by our monkey brains. There will never be an astolfo, and the rare, super 1 of 1 million hot, feminine trap with a girl's hourglass figure and high pitch voice are basically theoretical. I've known trannies that think they're astolfian, and it's not pretty. Sure, they're more girly than a dude, but that's not tough to reach.

It's interesting, the little world they live in. Something I heard from one of them was that he/she wasn't all that hot for guys, but it was much easier to keep them sexually happy and submissive. Dating women was confusing and drama-laden, but being with a guy was like taking care of a corolla. Talk to him once a day, drain his nuttz, and feed him a sandwich and you can basically do anything you want.

I keep seeing this one everywhere lately, looks more my speed. I never knew grey hair was 'hot'. There was a girl as a kid that had a crush on me and she had a streak of grey that freaked me the hell out. I was young, but I wondered if she was an old witch masquerading as a child to steal my skin.
KiXQxY7.jpg

FaramirG

kiwifarms.net
If Misaki is your ideal waifu, then the realization that she's just as fragile and insecure is just another charm point. "She's not just an angel, she's one that's too broken to ever leave me!" It's one of those defects that actually turns out to be a strength, like how in dansi koukousei no nitijou when the characters have a seinfeld moment talking about how clumsy girls are cute.
I'm not sure about that. Misaki was blatantly manipulating Satou into being dependent on her, and specifically targeted him because he was too broken to ever leave her, not the other way around. And the finale of the show has her leaving to go to college while Satou is stuck in a minimum wage job (with the strong implication that nothing romantic is going to happen there). If any dude's ideal waifu is Misaki, then he must be a masochist.

• Agree
Reactions: Overcast

Doctor Placebo

Western education is sin.
kiwifarms.net
I want to turn this around:
Is there a single really popular "waifu" that isn't just shameless pandering to one demographic or another? 0-personality tabula rasa characters like vocaloids don't count.
You know... Serena/Usagi might qualify, at least personality wise. Most of the other Sailor Scouts do check off some of those anime girl trope boxes, even if that wasn't the original intent (Amy is the shy nerdy girl, Lita is the muscle chick, etc, and yes I'm using the old English dub names) but her big things are that she's bad at school, likes to eat, and likes boys and typical girly things like clothes. None of those are really a common anime demographic pandering thing. Naoko Takeuchi also said she basically wrote Serena as herself.

I guess you could argue that the sailor uniform is shameless pandering, but that basically makes it impossible for any teenage female anime character to be anything but shameless pandering.

Profile pic related.

Also Botan. Botan is best girl, especially with that dreadful posh, not-quite-British accent from the English dub.
1591833756184.png

Last edited:

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
I don't hate them persay but why the fuck do people consider pennywise and blue (yes the raptor from Jurassic World) as husbandio and waifu material? Like no joke I've seen hug pillows of 90s Tim curry pennywise with his bare chest exposed smoking a cigar or blue giving someone bedroom eyes (they added feathers on her and don't call her blue just "raptor waifu") and there are husbando pillows of Bill Skarsgård too like I get liking them as cool or scary characters but may I ask what is sexy about this
maxresdefault.jpg

Or this
images (1).jpeg

Or even this

images (2).jpeg

Mao Hao Hao

Nyaaaa....
kiwifarms.net
I don't hate them persay but why the fuck do people consider pennywise and blue (yes the raptor from Jurassic World) as husbandio and waifu material? Like no joke I've seen hug pillows of 90s Tim curry pennywise with his bare chest exposed smoking a cigar or blue giving someone bedroom eyes (they added feathers on her and don't call her blue just "raptor waifu") and there are husbando pillows of Bill Skarsgård too like I get liking them as cool or scary characters but may I ask what is sexy about this
View attachment 1366794

Or this
View attachment 1366795
Or even this

View attachment 1366797
The raptor is just the furry fandom, as is Scar or any other animal with anthro traits/can be anthro'd. But as for the likes of IT and other monsters being seen as attractive its either people going 'hey I'm so unique, I find this creepy clown sexy!' for the points on twitter/tumblr etc, along with Venom and that creature from Shape of Water (and all of the sexy versions of creepy pastas/SCPs). The other reason is simply Teratophilia. The sexual attraction to monsters (which has been around for quite a long time, possibly since victorian or little bit before, carnival freakshows kind of helped it in a weird sense).
I know quite a bit about it as I have it myself, but its not all consuming and central to my life. Plus, personally, I have zero interest in the monsters mentioned above.

Book Thievery

あっち! こっち!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I want to turn this around:
Is there a single really popular "waifu" that isn't just shameless pandering to one demographic or another? 0-personality tabula rasa characters like vocaloids don't count.
I think any well-rounded character that has adequate flaws would qualify, since they're behaving more like humans than tropes. In my case, I'd argue for the main two protagonists for Touhou. Sure, both of them are pretty and young women with elaborate costumes, but Reimu is also a lazy grouch who complains about a lack of money. Marisa, while she does wear a typical "witch" costume, she's also a tomboy, speaks with a slightly masculine speech pattern in Japanese, and is prone to compulsory theft.

The further you drift away from these two, you start running into characters who could be described as "pandering," characters who have one-dimensional personalities due to having limited appearances, or even those who have no canon personality at all and have their personality decided by fans.

Dick Justice

kiwifarms.net
I'd buy a pennywise fuckpillow just for the conversation piece. Can you imagine the reactions at cocktail parties? Comedy gold
Naoko Takeuchi also said she basically wrote Serena as herself.
I should have included a "no self-insert Mary Sues". Oh well
Guys are fucking retarded about women. They have phenominally optimistic perceptions and never truly evaluate their relationship quality until long after it ends, if ever.
[...]
It's interesting, the little world they live in. Something I heard from one of them was that he/she wasn't all that hot for guys, but it was much easier to keep them sexually happy and submissive. Dating women was confusing and drama-laden, but being with a guy was like taking care of a corolla. Talk to him once a day, drain his nuttz, and feed him a sandwich and you can basically do anything you want.
I'm going to remember these the next time a female friend wants to talk about dating.

Tags
None