Warcraft III: Refunded General - How one company managed to mess up a remaster of a 17 year old game.

robobobo

kiwifarms.net
I know Inafune not delivered, but where was REEEEra in that?
Resetera wasn't even around at that point, but they hired a random chick that one of their team was banging to be the community manager. She promptly made the whole thing into a shitshow, got in slapfights with the backers, was talking about getting her own character designs added to the game, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: Jaimas

Jaimas

Give 'Em the Crab Jab
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I know Inafune not delivered, but where was REEEEra in that?
Surprisingly, they had nothing to do with it, and not only because they were on NeoGAF at the time.

Dina Abou Karam got the job of Mighty Number 9's community manager because she was fucking one of the developers. Credit where credit's due: I don't think her erstwhile beau knew she was crazy when she was appointed to the job, nor do I think really anyone at Comcept knew until this hit full burn, but hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

GENDER ROBOTS.jpg

Not long after she got appointed, it quickly came out that she knew nothing about Megaman, and she was a pretty relentless twitter feminist, which are red flags but not not necessarily instant shitstorm warning like they are now. That happened later when she started submitting art, demanding several of the robots be "gender non-conforming," and submitting an altered version of the protagonist which, surely by coincidence, looked like her.

FemBeck.jpg

Needless to say, bricks were shat, and the community rioted. Dina actively used her position to lock threads critical of her, which only added to the outrage, and she openly insulted the forum users on Twitter. This seems stupid, but not necessarily insane, until you realize that this was a fucking backer forum and open only to people who had donated to a specific tier of the Kickstarter, and ergo were the fucking people signing her paycheck. At this point she DELETED FUCKING EVERYTHING on Twitter, pretended it never happened, and ducked behind a poor pitiful me routine on the forums, allthewhile redacting, deleting, and quietly locking threads and posts of her.

You know, like any good community manager should.

Dina Gets Smacked.png

But things went from mildly Autistic to full-on shitstorm when GG happened. See, Dina was an IRL acquaintance of Zoe Quinn, and you can see her quite a few times in the CON Log Leaks. And if you're familiar with what Zoe indirectly did to dozens of communities at around this time, you know exactly what's coming.

At this point, Dina started to actively do damage control at Zoe's behest, in which she basically banned anyone who voiced support for GG or dared to question Quinn's legitimacy. Then bragged about it on Twitter. Curiously, at this point, seemingly from nowhere, a number of high-profile orbiters of both parties, such as Channel Awesome's Bennet the Sage, uncloaked to bemoan how misogynistic and hateful the Mighty Number 9 community had become, all while Dina was gloating about banning fucking superbackers for daring to go against her politically. At this point, enraged, the community conducts a massive chargeback campaign that drains about 200K from the budget in a matter of hours. While we will never know exactly how much damage it caused, the bulk of those who pulled out had donated quite a bit of money.

At this point, Inafune takes notice, since she's now done tangible financial damage to the project. She is promptly fired, at which point she shit-talks Comcept for several days on Twitter and yucks that the chargeback campaign didn't cause much damage, before deleting all her tweets and pretending none of it ever happened.

The good news (and most relevant to the analogies to CDPR) is that no one at CDPR is as hands-off as Inafune was, and further, as spergy as this bint is, she is nowhere near as caustic or insane as Dina was. Provided she keeps her proverbial beak clean, there's going to be little problem, and all evidence is that NSSteph seems at least marginally able to keep her spaghetti in her pockets. If she keeps her 'Tism to Twitter, then Cyberpunk will get released and do just fine, but there's a lot of potential for it to snowball in the worst way if things go full shitstorm.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
The good news (and most relevant to the analogies to CDPR) is that no one at CDPR is as hands-off as Inafune was, and further, as spergy as this bint is, she is nowhere near as caustic or insane as Dina was. Provided she keeps her proverbial beak clean, there's going to be little problem, and all evidence is that NSSteph seems at least marginally able to keep her spaghetti in her pockets. If she keeps her 'Tism to Twitter, then Cyberpunk will get released and do just fine, but there's a lot of potential for it to snowball in the worst way if things go full shitstorm.
To tag in - the CDPR lady is also stated to be focued on "media/streamers", meaning she's helping distribute beta keys and pre-release media - meaning she isn't actively working on the game at all.

Zamzz

kewl cat
kiwifarms.net
I didn't even buy this shit cause nothing compares to the og Warcraft III, all I have to say is Activision-Blizzard really needs to fire every single one of their developers that work on Warcraft and World of Warcraft with the exception of the art design people, they're the only ones doing a decent job.

Fagnacious D

and The Dick of Destiny
kiwifarms.net
While on one hand people might be upset, I think what Blizzard did was genius. They now stand to make a lot of money with the maps they'll make money from. Let us take a look at some of the new IPs Blizzard has acquired through their map editor
"Catholic Priest" There aren't enough little boys in this town to satisfy two catholic Churches. Attract children to your church while blocking adults.
"Help Schlomo retrieve the gold" Mash the down arrow to pull a coin towards your side. There is a picture of a man rubbing his hands in the center.
"6 Million" Survive the nazi incineration chamber. Fire spins in the center, and speeds up with every revolution. Dodge it. You play as Anne Frank.
"Coon Hunting Season" The negros have overrun the town. Hunt them down to earn points.

With winning IPs like that, who could possibly question this decision?

Thiletonomics

도널드 트럼프 승리의 소금.
kiwifarms.net

I'm surprised that there haven't been as many comparisons with AOE 2's Definitive Edition, to WC3 Reforged. Yes, DE still has it's own set of issues that need to be fixed, but the game itself feels a lot more polished, and also added new features, and is cheaper too. ($20 for DE, vs. $30 for the base version of WC3 Reforged)

• Agree
Reactions: Jaimas

אΩ+1

The Aleph
kiwifarms.net
Blizzard going to shit
Bethesda going to shit
Bullfrog and Westwood are long dead
EA refuses to die
CD project Red may be the next to go

No western devs left, fuck it bring the end times break the final seal. Have Nintendo games appear on PS4 and PC, we must destroy everything before we can have a rebirth!
That's what happens when people think of businesses as their friends.

Sayon

kiwifarms.net
To elaborate on what I posted, Brood War has what would I call the beginnings of the Blizzardisms best seen in WoW. This blog talks about it:

There is no intrigue in Brood War. It’s just a case of Kerrigan lying to everyone and having them all believe her because… the writers said so, I guess. It’s not like Kerrigan’s even a particularly good liar — her plots are incredibly transparent, and become more so with every passing mission. But the entire cast still swallows every word she says like it’s gospel.

I could maybe buy the Protoss being dumb enough to fall for her lies once — maybe — but they just keep making the same mistake over and over again. Aldaris outright told Zeratul that she was controlling Raszagal, and then Kerrigan proved it more thoroughly by murdering Aldaris for telling her secret.

And Zeratul does absolutely nothing. He continues doing everything Raszagal says and is utterly shocked when Kerrigan finally reveals the truth.

And for that matter, if Kerrigan had control of Raszagal all along, why did she have to invade Shakuras and take her hostage?

A carrier could arrive through the plot holes in this game.

Jaimas

Give 'Em the Crab Jab
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
To elaborate on what I posted, Brood War has what would I call the beginnings of the Blizzardisms best seen in WoW. This blog talks about it:

There is no intrigue in Brood War. It’s just a case of Kerrigan lying to everyone and having them all believe her because… the writers said so, I guess. It’s not like Kerrigan’s even a particularly good liar — her plots are incredibly transparent, and become more so with every passing mission. But the entire cast still swallows every word she says like it’s gospel.

I could maybe buy the Protoss being dumb enough to fall for her lies once — maybe — but they just keep making the same mistake over and over again. Aldaris outright told Zeratul that she was controlling Raszagal, and then Kerrigan proved it more thoroughly by murdering Aldaris for telling her secret.

And Zeratul does absolutely nothing. He continues doing everything Raszagal says and is utterly shocked when Kerrigan finally reveals the truth.

And for that matter, if Kerrigan had control of Raszagal all along, why did she have to invade Shakuras and take her hostage?

I don't know if I would go so far as to say the story's awful (maybe because my standards are so low as to be within striking distance of Crush Depth after years of JPATG titles), but it's definitely notably weaker than the original, and you know exactly what is going to happen solely due to the order the campaign is in. There was never any way it could possibly end other than Zerg Victory.

GethN7

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't know if I would go so far as to say the story's awful (maybe because my standards are so low as to be within striking distance of Crush Depth after years of JPATG titles), but it's definitely notably weaker than the original, and you know exactly what is going to happen solely due to the order the campaign is in. There was never any way it could possibly end other than Zerg Victory.
The Terran side was so obviously telegraphed it was boring.

The UED shows up to invade. Practically from the beginning a super helpful defector drops into their laps and starts providing all sorts of primo intel, being so agreeable and charming the guy just screams "I'M GOING TO BETRAY YOU WHEN YOU FINALLY TRUST ME". Dugalle is initially rightfully suspicious but keeps falling for Duran's obvious double talk, and the bullshit meter spiked into the red over the Psi Disrupter Duran was charmingly trying to say should be destroyed while Stukov (who was consistently the only sane man getting ignored for no good reason by Dugalle) knew this was exceptional. As soon as Duran realized Stukov was onto him the fact he'd tried to convince Dugalle to get him offed was so obvious the mission where it happens is an utter non-surprise.

The story did such a bad job hiding the twists I have to wonder who was so short of sleep they phoned it in that badly when they turned in the script for the Terran Brood War campaign.

Last edited:

ZMOT

kiwifarms.net
I didn't even buy this shit cause nothing compares to the og Warcraft III, all I have to say is Activision-Blizzard really needs to fire every single one of their developers that work on Warcraft and World of Warcraft with the exception of the art design people, they're the only ones doing a decent job.
pretty sure most of the art is outsourced these days, I know overwatch is.

So in other words they keeping her far far away from where it matters.
that's the theory (and hope), but you have to remember how incestuous and full of beta males the whole industry is. just hook up with the right person and get promoted to the right team (writing is usually the next step since it takes no talent or effort), it isn't really that hard. as @Jaimas said hopefully CDPR will have a better lid on things, although they're already drifting in a certain direction with the whole "no tasteless sexual violence" thing.

Credit where credit's due: I don't think her erstwhile beau knew she was crazy when she was appointed to the job, nor do I think really anyone at Comcept knew until this hit full burn, but hindsight is 20/20 as they say.
isn't the guy pretty notorious in nip indie circles for equally crazy shit? I remember the whole comcept stuff cropped back up again a short while back, but can't remember the details. was looking for a thread out of curiosity but didn't find any

Jaimas

Give 'Em the Crab Jab
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
isn't the guy pretty notorious in nip indie circles for equally crazy shit? I remember the whole comcept stuff cropped back up again a short while back, but can't remember the details. was looking for a thread out of curiosity but didn't find any
Inafune is sometimes referred to as the brain behind Megaman. He really isn't. He was absolutely instrumental to the X series and especially the Zero series, however, and general consensus is he did great with those. He also was a major consultant on the Megaman Ruby-Spears cartoon, but that's fodder for another thread.

Inafune, on his own, is brilliant. He's the kind of ideas guy you absolutely want on a team, capable of motivating even a comparatively average development team to greatness. The problem is that Inafune is only as good as what he's paired with, and when he worked at Capcom, he had access to many of Capcom's best dev-teams, including ones like Inti Creates. Fittingly, Comcept was absolutely loaded with relative newcomers, and those were the ones that worked on Mighty Number 9.

And that's directly a result of what he himself did.

Prior to Inafune leaving Capcom, he was on record pitching a bitch-fit about how Japanese devs never create anything new or interesting and extolling the western dev market. As a brief history lesson, the reason Megaman games stopped coming out is because the market got oversaturated, with Inafune's team pumping out over a dozen across like four series in the span of five years and it became a nightmare for even the most devoted Megaman fan to keep up with. Needless to say, when Inafune came back into game development and announced he intended to make an off-brand Megaman game, after his previous sperg-out, many industry veterans told him to go fist an android girl.

Overcast

Perfection has no age
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

The original game also had motherfucking Tassadar, he alone made me prefer the story of the base game compared to Brood War.

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Asian gamer man says that they're offering full automated refunds now.

Tags
None