Warhammer (40k) Video Games - RTS, Turn-based, FPS, TPS, whatever. Let’s discuss them.

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

CreamyHerman’s

Good spooky boi
kiwifarms.net
I woke up to a new video game trailer recommended to me via YouTube, and it looks a bit promising:

I am a bit skeptical due to the nature of most GW video games but I am a bit optimistic about it, since there are mostly good games that came out from the Warhammer IP recently. Which got me thinking, do any of y’all have a favorite warhammer game?

Lord of the Large Pants

Chicks dig giant robots.
kiwifarms.net
The first two Dawn of War games are solid. The first is a solid, if somewhat dated RTS, but it's pretty fun. The skirmish/multiplayer in the second is ass, but it has a great and very unique RTS/RPG campaign. The third game is hot garbage and should never be played by anyone.

I was a heavy player of Eternal Crusade back in the day, but it just never went anywhere or came close to delivering what was promised. I think it's pretty much dead now.

Darktide is looking pretty alright and I'll most likely buy it.

CreamyHerman’s

Good spooky boi
kiwifarms.net
I was a heavy player of Eternal Crusade back in the day, but it just never went anywhere or came close to delivering what was promised. I think it's pretty much dead now.
I was watching a documentary from a 40k fan and he went into detail about how the game development itself was a mess, which sucks. If I knew more about instead of the marketing being a confusing mess, I would have gave it a shot

NerdShamer

International Glownigger Commander
kiwifarms.net
Well, since they're doing Necromunda, it's only a matter of time before they get the Arbiters in the spotlight. I mean, who wouldn't love bashing skulls in with an electrified hammer?

And we can't forget the Ultramarine Captain who wasn't a complete Mary Sue.

Ok, he is a Mary Sue, but the rookie is so busy worshipping the giant doorstopper that he doesn't know what an Assault Marine does on a daily basis.

Last edited:

Acrid Alchemist

Drinker of mysterious brews
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As already said in this thread Dawn of War 1, especially with all the expansions, and Space Marine are good. I liked Mechanicus but I really love AdMech and them hitting the flavor on the head kind of made up for some of the meh mechanics.

I have some hope for Darktide being good since the people making it have a decent track record. At least I think so since I've heard mostly good things about Vermintide.

As for the game in the OP is it just me or does it not look 40kish? The locations are I guess but the rest looks like knock off Titanfall. Especially the weapons which look way too modern tacticool. Maybe I'm being a little harsh since Necromunda is a little detached from the greater setting though.

CreamyHerman’s

Good spooky boi
kiwifarms.net
As for the game in the OP is it just me or does it not look 40kish? The locations are I guess but the rest looks like knock off Titanfall. Especially the weapons which look way too modern tacticool. Maybe I'm being a little harsh since Necromunda is a little detached from the greater setting though.
I will be honest: I have been looking for another Titanfall-esque game for a while and this one looks promising. The gun does look a bit basic but I would imagine tools of war don’t receive updates that often. I mean space marines still use swords in combat so it’s possible that people still rails for guns if they’re desperate

Acrid Alchemist

Drinker of mysterious brews
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I will be honest: I have been looking for another Titanfall-esque game for a while and this one looks promising. The gun does look a bit basic but I would imagine tools of war don’t receive updates that often. I mean space marines still use swords in combat so it’s possible that people still rails for guns if they’re desperate
See my problem is the opposite. I think the guns should look older. Autoguns on say the Cultist have a very Thompson look to them. Even art that is supposed to look like real modern guns still has some of the chunky inefficiency normal to 40k. A gun full of tac rails seems too sensible for a setting where people willfully enter melee against giant bugs and standard "rifles" don't even have stocks.

I do agree with you about the Titanfall thing though. I have a mighty itch for Titanfall without Titans.

Snekposter

Got a collection of rare things on sale, strangah!
kiwifarms.net
40k has actually been slowly updating the aesthetics and other bits for a while. The Guardsmen on Pavonis during Ventris' return have top-attack ATGM's of all things, and even go Crisis Suit hunting with them.

Stubcarine.jpg

I don't know what you'd call those bits on the top of that AdMech Stubcarbine if not a rail mount of some sort.

Also to quote the Fandom page on Autoguns:
  • Hax-Orthlack Creed-9 Pattern - The Creed-9 is a compact Autogun designed for close-quarter warfare and constructed to a local variant of a long established design intended for Imperial Navy boarding troopers. Made using lightweight materials and fitted with a telescopic stock, the Creed-9 is not much larger than a military Autopistol in size and is the favoured weapon for many enforcer kill squads, as well as the private armies of numerous noble houses and Chartist Captains. Because of this "elite" role, it's common to see Creeds sporting numerous upgrades and modifications such as red-dot sights, expanded mag-ports and fire selectors.
GW (or rather various authors) are slowly undoing the collective idiot ball mankind keeps holding onto.

Also, hive cities are surprisingly high tech, at least in the upper levels, and that tends to trickle down to the lower levels, the primary users being bounty hunters and enforcers (assuming they don't die as soon as they start).

EDIT: Necromunda is also the only place I'd see a lot of "fancy" rail-equipped weaponry since that place's underhive is strangely high-tech compared to most, being pretty much cyberpunk, just 40k.

Last edited:

Burning Bridge

is falling down
kiwifarms.net
Played a lot of Eternal Crusade prelaunch and then almost none postlaunch, tho I was the first person to hit level 5 in my guild.
Also preordered the massive disappointment that was Space Hulk: Deathwing. It looked so promising, and it was fun... for 5 minutes or until the game crashed, whichever came first. Played the enhanced edition a little bit, but there's just not enough there for the game to be replayable.

I've heard some rumbling in the Total Warhammer community that after Total Warhammer 3 there may be a Total Warhammer 40K, which would be cool. Line of sight for gunpowder and other linear projectiles is really bad in Total War and you can see the engine struggles with it, so I'm unsure just how they'll pull it off.

Jan_Hus

Czechnuts roasting on an open fire
kiwifarms.net
Mechanicus is excellent. Very solid turn based tactical game with one of the best soundscapes and sound design in the genre.

Snekposter

Got a collection of rare things on sale, strangah!
kiwifarms.net
I've heard some rumbling in the Total Warhammer community that after Total Warhammer 3 there may be a Total Warhammer 40K, which would be cool. Line of sight for gunpowder and other linear projectiles is really bad in Total War and you can see the engine struggles with it, so I'm unsure just how they'll pull it off.
I don't see that happening at all. Mostly because shooting in general tends to be somewhat wack in their games, especially when it comes to anything rapid like a bolter or lasgun would be. And don't forget squad loadouts and the like, the best part of Your Dudes in 40k. Sadly we'll never get a true successor to DoW 1 given Relic's continued idiocy. (But do play the Firestorm over Kaurava mod for Soulstorm if you've got it. Can't talk too much about it to avoid a PL, but very, very fun mod.)

Ted_Breakfast

What'll it be, boys?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Despite its flaws, I kind of have a soft spot for Fire Warrior. At least, until the story pusses out and makes Chaos the bad guy. Seeing the Imperium from the perspective of a xenos was really cool.