Warhammer 40k -

Ted_Breakfast

What'll it be, boys?
kiwifarms.net
Playing the minis in general sounds tedious to me, but then I got sold off of minis gaming due to the group I played with. It was Heroclix instead, so no need to put in the time to paint and make them look good, but there was still the pay to win angle that I didn't like. Probably doesn't help I don't really have a passion for minis gaming in general.
I have a lot of Heroclix too, but I plan on selling off all my Marvel stuff sometime. I'll probably never play the game again (it's a little wonky, especially for me and my tendency to field fluffy teams over good ones), but I have too much invested in my legion of Batman foes to check out completely.

I really like 40k, but I think the suggested 2000 point game size is too big and arbitrary. 1000 or even 1250 point games are much more fun in my experience, and the smaller size tends to eliminate some of the cheesier units from being included.

I know people don't want to hear this, but AOS has grown into a more dynamic game than 40k. The turns are shorter (even when taking into account troop movement) and even the much-hated roll for turn initiative starts to make sense once you play enough. The only real problem I have with the game is that two armies (certain builds of ghouls and stripper elves) are cheesy right now and require little thought to win with.

Saint Kelly

Underachiever and proud of it!
kiwifarms.net
Downtime in tabletop is just.....fuuuuck. Playing IG vs Orkz, okay lemme move my 100 boyz..okay lemme move my 100 guards. FFS. The other issue is it plays like a slowly deflating balloon. You'd think you would want the action to stay the same or ramp up, not dwindle down as the game comes to an end.

WH40k is the only game I've played where I can literally hear yawns from someone when it isn't their turn.
Nothing against IG players, but playing against them is so dull. That first shooting phase is like 45 minutes of dice-rolling tedium. I prefer 1000 point games just for that reason.
I find that a big problem with 40K tabletop is that it really favors alpha striking and really no tactical thought. Typically whoever manages to go first will shoot everyone to death, unless due to bad rolls or map set up then the other player gets to slaughter you instead. Shooting, Melee, Charging it just takes so much time and it's not very engaging. All it boils down to is who do you pretend to shoot at with your models next and pray you roll a 6 or whatever. Yes I understand there's objective based missions or whatever you call them again, but even then it still boils down to who can alpha strike the other harder.

• Agree
Reactions: MidUSA

Just Some Other Guy

kiwifarms.net
I find that a big problem with 40K tabletop is that it really favors alpha striking and really no tactical thought. Typically whoever manages to go first will shoot everyone to death, unless due to bad rolls or map set up then the other player gets to slaughter you instead. Shooting, Melee, Charging it just takes so much time and it's not very engaging. All it boils down to is who do you pretend to shoot at with your models next and pray you roll a 6 or whatever. Yes I understand there's objective based missions or whatever you call them again, but even then it still boils down to who can alpha strike the other harder.
The common argument is usually "Use more terrain", but goddamn, maybe the battlefield you're using just isn't suited for tons of terrain. Not every battle should have to be a City of Death scenario.

Saint Kelly

Underachiever and proud of it!
kiwifarms.net
The common argument is usually "Use more terrain", but goddamn, maybe the battlefield you're using just isn't suited for tons of terrain. Not every battle should have to be a City of Death scenario.
Then if you use to much terrain it becomes more like a series of 1 on 1s or a conga line where you have to wait to get your licks in.

muh_moobs

Lord of mspaint shitposts
kiwifarms.net
hey you guys want more dreadknight write offs?
View attachment 874392
there some soy-filled faggots on /tg saying 'oh well the guard have the sentinel, so why cant the marines have their own?'

who? who the hell is going to look at this be like 'Y E S'?
Poorly executed, but this is cool. This harkens back to Rogue Trader when the "pilots" of dreadnoughts could come out of the machines and do stuff outside of their armor.

OG 40k is bet 40k.

Edit: addendum:

Like, really. Now that I've caught up on the last few page of the thread, you all just need to get a cheap copy of the original Rogue Trader book off ebay (or go to Warhammer World and buy the reprint if you're in the UK) and play with that. You can set the point limit as low or as high as you want, but the game is truly meant to be played as a skirmish game with small units on either side of the table.

Paint the models how ever you want, and make up whatever lore you want for Ur Doodz.

Playing 1st edition will solve all of the complains I've read in the last few pages.

Last edited:

CamelCursive

kiwifarms.net
I find that a big problem with 40K tabletop is that it really favors alpha striking and really no tactical thought.
You are correct. Anyone who thinks winning at 40k takes actual skill is a fucking idiot, unless "buy the correct toy" or "know how to read the rules for a toy" are actual 'skills'- which, at that point you may as well expect a parade for doing laundry by yourself. Shine on, you shiny diamond.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that any idiot can pick up the rulebook and within 10 minutes be winning a tournament. But 40k isn't a strategic challenge- it's about having the right toy against the other guy's toys, and knowing what a couple of paragraphs say about how your toys work. That's really about it, "follow instructions and use common sense". When all else fails, throwing a shitload of dice at something will win- you can wound a fucking Baneblade on 6's, even if your dude's attack is a fistful of soggy rice crispies.

There's no cunning ruse involved, no tactical brilliance, no bold risky manuevers, no clever combination of hidden assets... it's all pretty basic- not that it's a bad thing at all, not every game needs to be a mental workout. As much as I love Corvus Belli's Infinity for being a very tactical game that does require a significant degree of ruses, tactical thinking, taking risks, and having hidden tricks up your sleeve... there's a reason I don't play it but once or twice a month at most... and I do recommend Infinity, it's a skirmish game with a degree of tactical depth, and when you compare Infinity to Kill-Team it's like comparing structural engineering to stacking Duplo blocks.

I wish GW would focus down and make a new version of Shadow War, or some kind of Skirmish game with a lot of tactical depth that involved more than a few simple, basic action. Necromunda is very much a step in the right direction, to a point where one of my favorite things about it is the ability to make your own dudes from scratch to use as a 'gang'- I've seen people drag up everything from Catachans, Ecclesiarchy Frateris Militia, Rogue Trader Retinues, and I've even made an Afriel Strain Death Squad.

Imperialist #348

kiwifarms.net
what i want to is what the hell else is in the ghoul stars? when is trazyn gonna stop snatching people? and when the hell are we gonna get models for the rest of the daemon primarchs.

hell where are our updated thunder warriors?

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino