Warhammer 40k -

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Couple things:

1. You can paint over fuck-ups in assembly pretty easily.
2. It doesn't matter how good/bad an individual unit is, only that the army as a cohesive whole looks good.
3. Start with something easy and work your way up to the crazy stuff. You can buy a $5 junk marine and practice on that before you drop $60 on St. Celestine or $200 on a titan.
Should I paint the parts before assembly or after?

Ted_Breakfast

What'll it be, boys?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm too afraid to paint miniatures because I'm afraid I'll screw something up or I'll miss glue something or a part will break off and make the whole kit unable to be finished.

it doesn't help that everything is fucking expensive, like if I wanted a few Lizard men dino units that's a few hundred bucks right there. Like an Engine of The Gods and a few Carnosaurs. That and all the diorama buildings and everything is even more expensive, so I couldn't take a bartop and turn it into a huge ass display unless I was going to drop a few grand.

I also don't know if customizing things a certain way will make the model illegal for play
The lizardy Start Collecting box is a really good deal, and you get enough in the box for skirmishing in Open Play, which is actually a pretty fun option since the 2019 Handbook provided options to make it a little less "open" and kinda balanced. You get a Carnosaur/Troglodon in the box, plus Saurus Knights.

If you're leery of painting, I highly suggest Contrast paint, it's actually pretty good. Just prime in white, then slather on your favorite blue/green/whatever, and have a few browns and metallics for the weapons.

And Saurus Warriors and Skinks are pretty cheap on eBay!

Autisimodo

Handsome Lad
kiwifarms.net
Should I paint the parts before assembly or after?
Depends, sub-assemblies are usually for minis that have parts that can make it harder to reach certain details but you can really paint every piece separately if you really wanted to, it just boils down to what makes painting easier for you.

Also; use super glue on painted plastic, never use plastic glue because it will melt the paint and not cause the pieces to stick together properly.

Inquisitor_BadAss

Keeper of smug anime face.
kiwifarms.net
Depends on the model. For most guys, its not necessary. But for models like the Catacomb Command Barge, I can't imagine not painting it in pieces.

Can confirm, As a Necron player the only way to paint this is in sub assemblies then lament your army that was stupidly broken in 6th / 7th edition is only kinda playable now outside of destroyer wing lists.

Imperial Citizen

kiwifarms.net
to any chaos players whats your thoughts on any daemons you run, any particular favoured god?
It depends on what I need, though as I play CSM I use daemons for support.

I think that Herald Daemons can be some of the versatile units in the game because they give DAEMON units around them +1 strength, can buff them with psychic powers, and give them the daemonic loci ability if you take a mono god daemon detachment.

More strength for Khorne possessed or extra damage on Nurgle Maulerfiends is always a plus.

Ted_Breakfast

What'll it be, boys?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
to any chaos players whats your thoughts on any daemons you run, any particular favoured god?
Daemons of Nurgle are perhaps my largest army. They have a Battleline unit, Nurglings, that makes other armies a little jealous and makes filling out a battalion easy, but that's really about all the army has going for it, besides oodles of theme. Plague Drones are pretty good, if perhaps a tad overcoated, and Beasts of Nurgle are actually pretty dang efficient.

Fervent Champion

kiwifarms.net
I just bought into admech. Right now I've got 2 start collecting boxes, Crawl, and a set of robots. Any ideas where I should go next once I have all these done?

I just bought into admech. Right now I've got 2 start collecting boxes, Crawl, and a set of robots. Any ideas where I should go next once I have all these done?
My advice would be to play a few games, get a feel for how the army plays, assess your strengths and weaknesses, and then add units accordingly.

Or just Rule of Cool it.

Fervent Champion

kiwifarms.net
My advice would be to play a few games, get a feel for how the army plays, assess your strengths and weaknesses, and then add units accordingly.

Or just Rule of Cool it.
I've really been enjoying the army as a whole, I borrowed a friend's similar 1000 point list. I really like the robots and want more, but the seem like they can be hot or miss since they have to become fixed in place to get the most value.

Ted_Breakfast

What'll it be, boys?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And there's the Primaris Spess Woof character taken care of. Ghaz is yuge, too.

The fight as described sounds dumb as hell. Even though they both effectively killed each other and had to be rebuilt, Ghazghkull won? Can't the greatest Ork who has ever lived just have a clean win?

The Ghazghkull miniature itself is pretty great though. I like the skull with exhaust ports for horns, very Goff.

Second Missing Primarch

Guilliman/el'Jonson 2020: Vote or Die, Heretics
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The fight as described sounds dumb as hell. Even though they both effectively killed each other and had to be rebuilt, Ghazghkull won? Can't the greatest Ork who has ever lived just have a clean win?

The Ghazghkull miniature itself is pretty great though. I like the skull with exhaust ports for horns, very Goff.
It kind of reminded me of the Calgar v Abaddon fight in the Vigilus campaign book, where Abaddon was pretty much dominating Papa Smurf the entire fight until Calgar got bailed out at the last second by deus ex machina. You're right, though, it is a really badass model. Not enuff dakka, of course, but that's not Ghazzy's fault. You can never have enuff dakka.

Tags
None