Warhammer 40k -

Burned Man

Trans-Legion burnedgender Mormankin
kiwifarms.net
Currently I'm deciding between Gaunt's Ghosts and Caphias Cain next, I enjoy listening to them as audiobooks though and I think I read one is old enough that its not, or a lot of it is not, in audiobook format.
I guess you need to choose if you prefer comedy or tragedy then. Although Gaunt isn't exactly tragic at least until the ball gets rolling a few books in.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Polyboros2

Uranus Pink

kiwifarms.net
Imperial plot armor is generally annoying. They didn't even lose Cadia. It wasn't conquered. The Imperium couldn't simply be out-fought, heavens no. One of the joys of the Genestealer Codex was that each Cult Creed is ultimately about the Imperium losing a planet in a unique, sometimes ironic fashion, even if they weren't exactly lynchpin worlds.
There's plot armor and there's GW retconning the previous 13th Black Crusade player compaign done back in 05 or 06 with it going off script with Chaos managing to conquered and hold half of Cadia.

Last edited:
  • Feels
Reactions: millais
When did GW start doing blondbox miniatures?
2018, I think. I haven't really been paying attention to it because all the models are butt-ugly generic space marines.

edit: second half of the sororitas army is finally available. I'm tempted to play one even if its stupid expensive if only to have an excuse to drop The Triumph of St. Katherine on the tabletop.

Last edited:

Ted_Breakfast

What'll it be, boys?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
2018, I think. I haven't really been paying attention to it because all the models are butt-ugly generic space marines.
Some of them are some nifty (and expensive) Death Guard. Sadly, they can't compete with the other monopose DG floating around out there because they're shockingly inexpensive.

I'm probably going to have to pick up this guy though.

I like the mail on his face and the maggots seething out from under his pauldrons.

agility_

kiwifarms.net
A friend plays DG, he's got some of the blind boxed minis from ebay. I don't think there's anything I find interesting but it's a neat idea for a place like Japan or Korea where they do this shit all the time.

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
I guess you need to choose if you prefer comedy or tragedy then. Although Gaunt isn't exactly tragic at least until the ball gets rolling a few books in.
Gaunt's Ghost is like reading band of brothers+letters from iwo jim then watching saving private ryan after binging on the walking dead.

The staggering amount of death, despair, and destruction is astounding. Dan Abnett is a helluva writer and I loved every minute of the ride to hell and back.

Also listening to the Eisenhorn trilogy. Read it twice, it's time to do it again this time with audio as Tony Beckmore(?) is a phenomenal audible host.

Burned Man

Trans-Legion burnedgender Mormankin
kiwifarms.net
Gaunt's Ghost is like reading band of brothers+letters from iwo jim then watching saving private ryan after binging on the walking dead.

The staggering amount of death, despair, and destruction is astounding. Dan Abnett is a helluva writer and I loved every minute of the ride to hell and back.

Also listening to the Eisenhorn trilogy. Read it twice, it's time to do it again this time with audio as Tony Beckmore(?) is a phenomenal audible host.
I always like the bit he does where he sums up whatever battle that was going on at the time that the Ghosts were a small part of or saw from a distance and lists the fates of the other units involved and all their heroics and tragedies too.

• Agree
Reactions: Reverend

Inquisitor_BadAss

Keeper of smug anime face.
kiwifarms.net
Hey y'all. Anyone here collect Necrons? I do. 💀⛰ Orikan the Diviner is my fav. Hail Space Egypt!
Orikan was the absolute tits back in 5th / 6th edition. He turned open ground into difficult terrain and if an area was already difficult terrain he turned it into dangerous terrain.

Combine that with the old c’tan shard which you could pick a power which could do the same thin and your opponent would think twice about moving anything. I really miss using the old march of death style of play.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Parson Weebs

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
I always like the bit he does where he sums up whatever battle that was going on at the time that the Ghosts were a small part of or saw from a distance and lists the fates of the other units involved and all their heroics and tragedies too.
I get two perspective when I read that:

1. That the Ghosts were part of something larger and they did their duty with their lil part made the day.
2. The battles are so fucking immense/global/sector spanning that even this lil act the Ghosts did was a dust mite on a pinhead compared to the Big Picture.

Either way you feel like you are reading combat reporting from WW2 with the feeling of you, the reader, being there.

Anonymus Fluhre

No man fears what he has seen grow
kiwifarms.net
I managed to convince my fiancee this week to get into Warhammer 40k since she's going to be home for a year or so on parental leave. She wanted something to do when she's not looking after our daughter so I suggested getting into miniature wargaming as that takes longer than our normal EDH games. That, and it's another game she can try and beat me at.

She's decided to start off with Tyranid's (I swear, every woman interested in the game plays that army, even one of the top brass in America plays Tyranids and will talk your ear off about them) after I explained every armies play style and lore. I laughed my ass off when I explained the Orks and said they talk with a Cockney accent and she replied "Oh so they're retarde d!?""

Second Missing Primarch

Guilliman/el'Jonson 2020: Vote or Die, Heretics
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I managed to convince my fiancee this week to get into Warhammer 40k since she's going to be home for a year or so on parental leave. She wanted something to do when she's not looking after our daughter so I suggested getting into miniature wargaming as that takes longer than our normal EDH games. That, and it's another game she can try and beat me at.

She's decided to start off with Tyranid's (I swear, every woman interested in the game plays that army, even one of the top brass in America plays Tyranids and will talk your ear off about them) after I explained every armies play style and lore. I laughed my ass off when I explained the Orks and said they talk with a Cockney accent and she replied "Oh so they're retarde d!?""
I mean, she's not wrong...I always wanted to start a 'nid army, but I'm afraid I couldn't paint them nicely enough.

Anonymus Fluhre

kiwifarms.net
I mean, she's not wrong...I always wanted to start a 'nid army, but I'm afraid I couldn't paint them nicely enough.
I'll be doing the painting, but I'm afraid I haven't done any painting, least on miniatures, for a decade. Going to pick up some Chameleon Darth Blue paint from Green Stuff World and see how that looks for the carapace and then use a boney white mixed with another colour (probably a purple) for the under belly and see how that looks. If done right it should give me the same type of colour beetles have when they catch the light.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
I'll be doing the painting, but I'm afraid I haven't done any painting, least on miniatures, for a decade. Going to pick up some Chameleon Darth Blue paint from Green Stuff World and see how that looks for the carapace and then use a boney white mixed with another colour (probably a purple) for the under belly and see how that looks. If done right it should give me the same type of colour beetles have when they catch the light.
I got these for practice:

Skeleton armies are fucking cheap and are generic enough to be used for anything.

Anonymus Fluhre

kiwifarms.net
I got these for practice:

Skeleton armies are fucking cheap and are generic enough to be used for anything.

Yeah, dollar stores also sell similar miniatures. My biggest problem will be keeping may hand still as I have some nerve damage from when I young. That, and my poor eyesight but I can get a magnifying glass for that. Really good ones out there with LED's.

• Feels
Reactions: Ted_Breakfast

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, dollar stores also sell similar miniatures. My biggest problem will be keeping may hand still as I have some nerve damage from when I young. That, and my poor eyesight but I can get a magnifying glass for that. Really good ones out there with LED's.
They have mounts that help keep your hand still. There's also a few techniques involving the contrast paint that will also help.

Tags
None