Warhammer 40k -

Second Missing Primarch

Guilliman/el'Jonson 2020: Vote or Die, Heretics
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ive been looking through contrast painted models and I gotta say im not very impressed. The only models it looks good on deathguard and stuff like that really. Arent these supposed to be the paints for people who dont actually want to paint? It looks like the best way to use these is to just use one or 2 to get a very specific look on your base layers.
I find Contrast works very well on very specific things, usually smaller detailed parts or areas with lots of recesses so that the pooling effect really kicks in. Otherwise I mainly use Iyanden Yellow to slap a basecoat on my Fists before layering with Yriel Yellow. It actually works pretty well and is a lot faster than any other method of painting yellow that I've tried.

Tism the Return

EI EI OH!
kiwifarms.net
Contrast is pretty alright for fast and effortless power weapons. Talassar blue in particular works like the old Girlyman glaze and I heard BA red over metallics was also pretty good, haven't tried it myself though.

Second Missing Primarch

Guilliman/el'Jonson 2020: Vote or Die, Heretics
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Contrast is pretty alright for fast and effortless power weapons. Talassar blue in particular works like the old Girlyman glaze and I heard BA red over metallics was also pretty good, haven't tried it myself though.
Blood Angels Red over Leadbelcher looks wicked. I tried it on a Deathwatch storm shield and it turned out great. It'd also be good for HH Thousand Sons.

• Informative
Reactions: Tism the Return

CwChalk

kiwifarms.net
I've been reading Unremembered Empire. I know Imperium Secundus stuff somewhat derailed the Heresy series but I'm digging this book.

I'm a sucker for Primarch conversations and Konrad Cruzes batshit inner monologue.
That one is probably one of my favourites from the series, it caught me off guard as I didn't expect to like the Ultramarines legion as much as i did. That book gives them a lot more characterization and a look at some of the best cross legion brotherhoods.

agility_

kiwifarms.net
Ive been looking through contrast painted models and I gotta say im not very impressed. The only models it looks good on deathguard and stuff like that really. Arent these supposed to be the paints for people who dont actually want to paint? It looks like the best way to use these is to just use one or 2 to get a very specific look on your base layers.
They are wash/glazes that save you the time to do the traditional base layer, wash and highlight method. The contrast comes in the way the pigment pools up in every recess while the glaze changes the hue on large flat areas of the mini. Unfortunately because GW advertises them as "paints" like with traditional paints most people treat them as such and the results are asstacular.

HTTP Error 404

kiwifarms.net
Contrast... I have a few on my "to buy list." GW has started using them as washes -- For example, almost every single one of the Indomitus vids uses Basilicanum Grey as a replacement for Nuln Oil. Which makes me think Nuln Oil is on it's way out.

I think GW's new "Contrast-as-shade" stuff might have been because of videos like this from Darren Latham:

He uses Flesh Tearer's Red as a shade and then later to blend the layers together.

Still complete bullshit that GW forced him to shut down his personal YT channel because it was competing with Warhammer TV.

But yeah apparently Aethermatic Blue is really good for AdMech plasma coils, and I like Apothecary White's shade effect. The flesh tones are apparently pretty great, too.

niconiconecro

:3 intensifies
kiwifarms.net
Really? Why use Simple Green instead of just Isopropyl Alchohol, then? That's the go to answer for stripping paint I hear from everyone.
I really like simple green and LA’s awesome cleaner. They’re great for stripping prepainted miniatures, even the ones wizkids put out before they started releasing nolzur’s marvelous miniatures.

That Chris Guy

kiwifarms.net
Qin Xa looks retarded. Boiled leather aesthetic over power armour? We're reaching new levels of stupidity with this, gentlemen.

As for minis, I only have a singular one to show right now:

IMG_20200731_154326.jpg

IMG_20200731_154305.jpg

IMG_20200731_154347.jpg

Got another project going that I don't wish to reveal yet.

Just Some Other Guy

kiwifarms.net
Yes, I shall keep spamming pics of my WIP new favorite tank. We finally have both sets of tracks and sponsons. Also, some hot twin linked autocannon action.
Malcador 5.jpg

Have all the fancy rear bits too, just gonna paint them separate then mount. Just got to model up a punisher and executioner cannon and do the rest of the sponson weapons. Oh, and I guess a guy in the hatch would be nice.

Inquisitor_BadAss

Karen poster extraordinaire
kiwifarms.net
Would draconuf nightshade over sliver or gunmetal give me a good blued steel look, or would anyone recommend a certain shade of blue that I can water down with medium?
Try maybe a two to on mix of Lamhian Medium and Drakenhof Nightshade if want it subtle.

I bet warhammer will be bigger in china than the US or UK. They fucking love warcraft/starcraft. They love loot boxes in vidya so much GW could replace regular sets with gacha style bullshit and make assloads of cash.

Its ghosts. No ghosts. (:_( really anything about disrespecting ancestors.
In China I doubt they’d mention traitor guard or even the Horus Heresy (you know probably the best part of the storyline). So I expect it would be made very localised and then flooded with recasts.

Stoneheart

Well hung, and snow white tan
kiwifarms.net
I realy should post some of my tanks, but my painting skills are just to bad( i can build my base models)

to anybody interested, its pretty much C&C levels of authentism...

Inquisitor_BadAss

kiwifarms.net
What's a good loadout for a Space Marine Tactical Squad? Tossing some together and want to make sure I don't make any stupid moves.
5 man or 10 man?

An all plasma load out is actually a good option now but it all depends on what you want them to do. Remember though magnets are your friend.

HTTP Error 404

kiwifarms.net
5 man or 10 man?

An all plasma load out is actually a good option now but it all depends on what you want them to do. Remember though magnets are your friend.
Ah, I suppose I could wait on putting the guns / arms on until I get magnets. What size should I get, and where are the points of magnetization I should aim for?

And I have a full 10 squad, I guess I could split it into 2 5s though.

Inquisitor_BadAss

kiwifarms.net

Just Some Other Guy

kiwifarms.net
Ah, I suppose I could wait on putting the guns / arms on until I get magnets. What size should I get, and where are the points of magnetization I should aim for?

And I have a full 10 squad, I guess I could split it into 2 5s though.
Just get some tiny rare earth magnets that can fit in the shoulder joints and a small hand drill. Well, and some super glue (the gel works great). I managed to magnetize a Skitarii Alpha, so SM should be no issue.

Magnetizing is addicting once you get started. My favorite is the 8-in-1 Baneblade.

Drill: https://www.amazon.com/Pin-Vise-Pre...=1&keywords=model+drill&qid=1596277699&sr=8-4 something like that.

Magnets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3NKAP522IBO00 I'd imagine SM shoulders a big enough for 3x2mm. If not, you can get them shallower or narrower.

Drill, take a toothpick and put a little dab of glue in the hole (sometimes the fit is snug enough not to need this), place magnet (I usually use the flat end of the drill bit for this), and go to town. Just always be sure to double check your polarities.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Uranus Pink

HTTP Error 404

kiwifarms.net
Second link is borked, @Just Some Other Guy

This is a good tutorial but Youtube should have decent guides as well.
Roger that. So no trying to magnetize the combo part of a combi bolter. Seems simple enough.

Just get some tiny rare earth magnets that can fit in the shoulder joints and a small hand drill. Well, and some super glue (the gel works great). I managed to magnetize a Skitarii Alpha, so SM should be no issue.

Magnetizing is addicting once you get started. My favorite is the 8-in-1 Baneblade.

Drill: https://www.amazon.com/Pin-Vise-Pre...=1&keywords=model+drill&qid=1596277699&sr=8-4 something like that.

Magnets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3NKAP522IBO00 I'd imagine SM shoulders a big enough for 3x2mm. If not, you can get them shallower or narrower.

Drill, take a toothpick and put a little dab of glue in the hole (sometimes the fit is snug enough not to need this), place magnet (I usually use the flat end of the drill bit for this), and go to town. Just always be sure to double check your polarities.
Ah, I already have that exact pin vise.

Thanks, guys. I'll order some 3x2s and 5x2s (telemon) and see what that gets me.

Last edited:
Tags
None