Warner Bros. will launch every 2021 movie on HBO Max at the same time they hit theaters - RIP Theatres

Mr. Zed da Robot Poon Fed

Goooooooooood!
kiwifarms.net

AT&T’s Warner Bros. announced on Thursday that all of its films scheduled to launch in 2021 will be released on HBO Max at the same time they are available in theaters. It’s currently a one-year plan.

AMC shares were down nearly 8% on the news.

It’s an example of how AT&T is adapting to the coronavirus pandemic, allowing people to safely watch new movies at home without having to venture out to a movie theater, many of which have been closed to the increasing spread of Covid. It’s also a move that Warner Bros. already made with “Wonder Woman 1984,” which will be released to theaters and HBO Max on Christmas Day. That movie was originally scheduled to come out in the summer, but was delayed several times before WarnerMedia decided to release it on HBO Max.

HBO Max is AT&T’s online video service, which launched in the U.S. in May. It costs $14.99 per month and includes access to movies and TV shows.

“No one wants films back on the big screen more than we do,” Ann Sarnoff, chair and CEO of WarnerMedia Studios and Networks group said. “We know new content is the lifeblood of theatrical exhibition, but we have to balance this with the reality that most theaters in the U.S. will likely operate at reduced capacity throughout 2021.”

Warner Bros. movies launching in 2021 include “The Little Things,” “Judas and the Black Messiah,” “Tom & Jerry,” “Godzilla vs. Kong,” “Mortal Kombat,” “Those Who Wish Me Dead,” “The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It,” “In The Heights, Space Jam: A New Legacy,” “The Suicide Squad,” “Reminiscence,” “Malignant,” “Dune,” “The Many Saints of Newark,” “King Richard,” “Cry Macho” and “Matrix 4.”

Universal took a similar approach in April and released “Trolls World Tour” online and in theaters at the same time. But, that required people to purchase the movie since it wasn’t available as part of a subscription package at the time. In July, Universal shortened the number of days films needed to run in theaters before they were available online through an agreement with AMC Theaters. Prior to that agreement, theaters had exclusive rights to Universal films for 90 days.

Disney has also experimented with launching a blockbuster movie on directly on streaming. Earlier this year, Disney released “Mulan” on Disney+ as a one-time, $30 purchase.

Cinemark, a U.S. movie theater chain, responded to WarnerMedia’s decision on Thursday afternoon. “In light of the current operating environment, we are making near-term booking decisions on a film-by-film basis,” a Cinemark spokesperson said. “At this time, Warner Brothers has not provided any details for the hybrid distribution model of their 2021 films.”

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hollywood got its fucking ass kicked this year and they're desperate to stay in the movie business to push all the indies and foreigners out of their monopoly.

Even though it seems inevitable as the years go by, it's still disappointing that movies will have to go on streaming because movies have been practically meant to be experienced on the silver screen. So like unless you actually made yourself a personal movie theater with surround sound in your basement or wherever and that you also have the greatest bandwidth in the world to avoid potential buffering, it's not going to feel the same. Although if Lady Luck is on our side, this could cut down on obnoxious movie-going experiences since there's that chance some jackass who'd be a jackass in the theater will have chosen to stay home to watch it that way.

EDIT: Also lol Space Jam 2 may lose money after all. Probably worth it for just that thought alone. :story:

Not Really Here

"You're a small, irrelevant island nation"
kiwifarms.net
The price point is a major issue here.
If you sold online day of release for 5$ per 1080p copy worldwide you would made 10 times the money a 30$ purchase or streaming platform release would.
All the people too stupid, lazy, scared of the law ect. would shell out a fiver without thinking twice.

Ham Porter

kiwifarms.net
The inevitable VOD streaming platform vs. brick-and-mortar theater economic war has begun.
I'm a little bit unnerved knowing that the players on the VOD side's best chance of victory is via attrition due to quarantines caused by a pandemic. Especially when Jeff Bezos has skin in the game.

ProblematicUser420

Tits and Abs
kiwifarms.net
They have been going through a resurgence for over a decade now with new drive-ins being built and old closed ones rebuilt and reopened. Duplex drive-ins however are still rare AF as hardly any of those are left.

I wish one would come back around here. Mine got demolished and turned into a self storage/scrap yard when I was like 9.

Closest one I know of is like 100 miles away :(

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
I still will hopefully be able to see at least one or two of them on the big screen assuming there will be any big screens left within my area for me to see them upon.

Watching them for the first time on the 26" Toshiba I've had for going on 13 years now just wouldn't be the same.

make_it_so

Darmok & Jalad - LIVE at Tanagra, Sept. 30
kiwifarms.net
If this does prove to be the final nail in the coffin for theaters, it would be a shame. Yeah, you can watch it at home - but being able to see a film on a large screen with a bunch other people is a different experience. Laughing at a joke or comedic scene, or experiencing a tense moment watching a movie from home is different than when you do it with several hundred people.

Vyse Inglebard

You're fools to underestimate us!
kiwifarms.net
Even before the quarantine, most theaters that didn't make the majority of their return on food or alcohol were becoming unkempt shit holes. This is long welcome. I'll be willing to give HBO my money. (If I didn't already get all their films for free).

Theaters suck because theater goers suck. I'd rather go to a drive in but this will do as well.
Alamo Drafthouse, my niggas. The BEST movie going experience ever....that's probably also gonna close down *sigh*