Warner Bros. will launch every 2021 movie on HBO Max at the same time they hit theaters - RIP Theatres

• DDoS is active again.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I can dig the big screen thing, but really the experience of my large-ish HDTV that I'm a few feet from isn't _that_ much different than a movie theater screen.
And last couple of things I saw were Fathom events running off some sub-720p shit that left me with a really bad taste in my mouth about trying again.

Dom Cruise

How is she when she doesn't surf?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have mixed thoughts on this.

On the one hand I've been increasingly meh on theaters, it'll be real convenient to be able to watch new movies at home, but on the other hand it's much like the loss of video stores, yeah it's convenient not having to leave your house to rent a movie, but you lose some of the overall "experience", the smell of a video store, the feel of being in a store surrounded by movies, the loss of theaters will be much the same, more convenience at the loss of some of the overall "experience" of going to see a movie.

At any rate the damage Corona virus seems to be doing to society is very worrying, are we essentially living through a small scale apocalyptic event?

Syaoran Li

Oh, What a Night! Late December back in '63!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have mixed thoughts on this.

On the one hand I've been increasingly meh on theaters, it'll be real convenient to be able to watch new movies at home, but on the other hand it's much like the loss of video stores, yeah it's convenient not having to leave your house to rent a movie, but you lose some of the overall "experience", the smell of a video store, the feel of being in a store surrounded by movies, the loss of theaters will be much the same, more convenience at the loss of some of the overall "experience" of going to see a movie.

At any rate the damage Corona virus seems to be doing to society is very worrying, are we essentially living through a small scale apocalyptic event?

Assuming the vaccines are fully ready and this all ends by Spring, then I think a partial recovery is possible but not guaranteed. The chain multiplexes are doomed in the long run due to Corona, but I personally think if drive-ins are making a comeback, then stuff like grindhouses and dollar theaters are viable too if you can keep the overhead low enough and have events like Alamo Drafthouse but more affordable and less hipster and pretentious.

The hard part is getting older movies from the major studios, especially those owned by the turbo-woke likes of Disney, Sony, and Warner.

What I'd do if I could would be to open a single-screen theater that airs all sorts of movies and follows the old grindhouse model where each day would air multiple movies per night and each night has a different billing. You could pay for single-showings, double features, or even all-night events sold at a premium.

Operating on a seasonal basis could work too, with summer being a time where the place is open seven days a week while the spring, fall, and winter are open only on weekends. Heck, make a deal with a property owner and rent out a place that can be used as a single-screen theater.

Focus on older movies, genre titles, and for newer flicks, see if you can make deals with the B-movie outlets like Blumhouse, Troma, Full Moon, and The Asylum for limited theatrical releases.

Encourage local and amateur filmmakers by showing and promoting their events from time to time and I'd even do stuff like a fan film festival day where admission is free but you're strongly encouraged to buy some refreshments or make a donation to the theater.

Keep the place clean but don't go all pretentious hipster with the decor. Keep it simple but enjoyable, tacky but fun.

ArthuriusMartyrius

kiwifarms.net
Honestly, even without corona, this was a long time coming. Cinemas have had dropping attendance for YEARS and as much as some here may be optimistic for a resurgence of small drive-in cinemas but those are very likely to be VERY niche and mostly for older or indie stuff. Like, what is there about a cinema? The experience? My house is more comfy and warm, the TV set-up is working fine and big enough, I can go down to the store like five minutes from my house and buy as much Coke, chips, chocolate or whatever the hell else they sell at cinemas for like a third of the price and sit-in and enjoy the movie at home with friends and family. The only thing missing is strangers checking their cellphones, coughing at key moments or laughing like idiots at every stupid, unfunny joke.

Corona just accelerated the natural demise of the cinema. Much like video rental stores, it is headed for the dustbin of history either way.

Last edited:

HeyYou

YOU BETTER RUN!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
God, there's maybe two films on that list that I'm kind of excited for. Movies in general are dying, not just theaters.

Flaming Carrot

kiwifarms.net
HBO apparently didn't even check with with the production company who bankrolled Dune and Godzilla about this plan -

https://archive.md/RoxJ2

I'm going to see Dune in the theater if there are any theaters left.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
HBO apparently didn't even check with with the production company who bankrolled Dune and Godzilla about this plan -

Lmaoooo holy shit what a tweest. :story:

Mr. Zed da Robot Poon Fed

Goooooooooood!
kiwifarms.net

Lmaoooo holy shit what a tweest. :story:

Apparently, no one was told about this at Warner Bros.

1607391879106.png

Kyria the Great

kiwifarms.net
On one hand this is a short term fix for WB and was a long time coming, on the other what it means for larger budget projects isn't good news. It will likely be the demise of mega-budget films, which is a welcome change for now, I am not sure what we will get as the new genre of the 2020's and 2030's. Perhaps Horror movies will make a comeback, or lower budget but practical effect driven action films, or much more character driven films.

Dom Cruise

How is she when she doesn't surf?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
On one hand this is a short term fix for WB and was a long time coming, on the other what it means for larger budget projects isn't good news. It will likely be the demise of mega-budget films, which is a welcome change for now, I am not sure what we will get as the new genre of the 2020's and 2030's. Perhaps Horror movies will make a comeback, or lower budget but practical effect driven action films, or much more character driven films.
I'd love to see the return of more practical effect driven action films ala the 80s and 90s with real stunts and whatnot, as opposed to the very CGI heavy modern stuff.

tehpope

Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Assuming the vaccines are fully ready and this all ends by Spring, then I think a partial recovery is possible but not guaranteed. The chain multiplexes are doomed in the long run due to Corona, but I personally think if drive-ins are making a comeback, then stuff like grindhouses and dollar theaters are viable too if you can keep the overhead low enough and have events like Alamo Drafthouse but more affordable and less hipster and pretentious.

The hard part is getting older movies from the major studios, especially those owned by the turbo-woke likes of Disney, Sony, and Warner.

What I'd do if I could would be to open a single-screen theater that airs all sorts of movies and follows the old grindhouse model where each day would air multiple movies per night and each night has a different billing. You could pay for single-showings, double features, or even all-night events sold at a premium.

Operating on a seasonal basis could work too, with summer being a time where the place is open seven days a week while the spring, fall, and winter are open only on weekends. Heck, make a deal with a property owner and rent out a place that can be used as a single-screen theater.

Focus on older movies, genre titles, and for newer flicks, see if you can make deals with the B-movie outlets like Blumhouse, Troma, Full Moon, and The Asylum for limited theatrical releases.

Encourage local and amateur filmmakers by showing and promoting their events from time to time and I'd even do stuff like a fan film festival day where admission is free but you're strongly encouraged to buy some refreshments or make a donation to the theater.

Keep the place clean but don't go all pretentious hipster with the decor. Keep it simple but enjoyable, tacky but fun.
There's some decent stuff in the Public domain. There's a tons of animation from the first half of the 20th century. Like really good stuff too.

Last edited:

Syaoran Li

Oh, What a Night! Late December back in '63!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There's some decent stuff in the Public domain. A tons of animation from the first half of the 20th century are there.

Hell, some of the most iconic horror films from the pre-1970 era are public domain too, most notably Night of the Living Dead, which is still a draw even today despite the pretentious shitfest that is The Walking Dead killing the zombie genre for the time being.

There's also stuff like The Mountain of the Cannibal God (an Italian cannibal flick from the late 70's starring Sracey Keach) and IIRC, Carnival of Souls is also public domain

Product Placement

kiwifarms.net
WB fucked up in not sorting deals out with Legendary Pictures and the talent which have deals already in place to get a % of the cinema gross before this. So WB could have legal issues and have talent less willing to work with them later down the line due to this.

But Nolan is more pissed about the death of cinemas than anything else. But most other talent doesn't seem to have issues with making stuff for streaming service with many of them working of stuff for HBO Max or other places e.g. James Gunn with Peacemaker or Denis Villeneuve with Dune: The Sisterhood for HBO Max and people like Angelina Jolie and Will Smith have worked with Netflix, but lack of new deals counting for this change or heads up on the matter.

Also wonder how much this will help HBO Max, it will help a lot in America but due to a deal they made with Sky in Europe HBO Max won't launch until 2025 there, so no way they will get close to disney+ in total subs even with this move.

Last edited:

Idiotron

The last sane person on Earth
kiwifarms.net
God, there's maybe two films on that list that I'm kind of excited for. Movies in general are dying, not just theaters.
Noooo, movies are doing just fine.
Hollywood movies are maybe 10-ish% of the movies made worldwide every year.
There's other stuff to watch and even in Hollywood, there's good stuff being made but don't count on sequels/remakes/reboots/adaptations because those are for making money, not being good.

ArthuriusMartyrius

kiwifarms.net

View attachment 1773597
Nolan whining about it is especially hilarious because his insistence on the "IMAX experience" and Tenet subsequently bombing is probably what pushed WB over the edge in making this decision. Reap what you sow, you pretentious hack.

Product Placement

kiwifarms.net

View attachment 1773597
He gets on my nerves, always talking about the importance of shooting on film, yet doesn't case when the home releases of his movies add DNR to get rain of the film grain