Was Hunger Games type media political propaganda and brainwashing?

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

Detective Jason Tooley

Do you like how my face Disintegrates into chalk?
kiwifarms.net
@Dom Cruise

I feel like, in spite of the influx of female heroes, young women do project onto and gravitate more towards less masculine but still very much so male characters like Harry Potter and Link from Legend of Zelda. Even in Twilight, girls do not give a fuck about Bella. Half the time they don't even project upon her, as much as they do completely replace her.

Link is a cute elf-boy they have total control of whose whole purpose in all games is save the Princess, Zelda her, who he can't win without and it is also The Legend Of.

Harry Potter is a vaguely ethnic virginial nubile shy-boy with a dark side, destiny and he's also innately famous. The Boy Who Killed Literally Hitler. And she's his redheaded twink best friend's little sister because hermoine is a fucking loser.

Women are much more attuned to practice Hero Worship than Heroism.

The Last Stand

Null's homie
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So I've been reading about battle royale before battle royale became a video game genre? Last man standing.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@Dom Cruise

I feel like, in spite of the influx of female heroes, young women do project onto and gravitate more towards less masculine but still very much so male characters like Harry Potter and Link from Legend of Zelda. Even in Twilight, girls do not give a fuck about Bella. Half the time they don't even project upon her, as much as they do completely replace her.

Link is a cute elf-boy they have total control of whose whole purpose in all games is save the Princess, Zelda her, who he can't win without and it is also The Legend Of.

Harry Potter is a vaguely ethnic virginial nubile shy-boy with a dark side, destiny and he's also innately famous. The Boy Who Killed Literally Hitler. And she's his redheaded twink best friend's little sister because hermoine is a fucking loser.

Women are much more attuned to practice Hero Worship than Heroism.
Hunger Games was kind of the start of that turning point though where female audiences were supposed want heroism instead of hero worship, later leading to characters like Rey and Captain Marvel.

I think that's why those characters feels inherently alien and unlikable, you can have a female hero, but it can't literally just be gender swapped with the way a male hero is, there's got to be a different approach to make it resonate and feel truthful.

A perfect example of that being Ripley's or Sarah Conner's motherly instincts in Aliens and Terminator respectively, but now motherhood is a dirty word.

I think that's part of why I disliked Hunger Games, I found myself wishing I was watching something like The Running Man instead.

TheAnimeAvatard

I'm busy, won't be too active till Chris's trial
kiwifarms.net
I agree with you OP there is something weird and articial about those becoming very popular and getting Hollywood movies out of them as rapidly as they did in the early 2010s.

What makes it worse and this situation even more schizo is that the writer of the Hunger Games apparently lived in or near Sandy Hook Connecticut, the town with the school shooting with very weird information and lack of info.

There's been research and some evidence that Sandy Hook had been full of glowies residing there and it wouldn't surprise me if the Hunger Games writer was a glowie herself.

Edit: Added Screenshot Evidence
Screenshot_20210818-003518.png

Screenshot_20210818-003429.png

Last edited:

Skitzels

kiwifarms.net
Funny you mention the Hunger Games because the aristocrats in that world are eerily similar to the Wokescolds we deal with (in both degenerate aesthetics and attitude):

1629260908202.jpeg

1629260960436.jpeg

They laugh at the children of the working class dying for their sick entertainment. They push for policies that hurt the working classes in their world. They tell the other districts how to live despite living in a metropolitan concrete desert. They even have bright coloured hair and in the book it is mentioned that they also put themselves through insane body modifications.

They even force their own sons to wear pink:
1629261165789.jpeg

Detective Jason Tooley

Do you like how my face Disintegrates into chalk?
kiwifarms.net
Hunger Games was kind of the start of that turning point though where female audiences were supposed want heroism instead of hero worship, later leading to characters like Rey and Captain Marvel.

I think that's why those characters feels inherently alien and unlikable, you can have a female hero, but it can't literally just be gender swapped with the way a male hero is, there's got to be a different approach to make it resonate and feel truthful.

A perfect example of that being Ripley's or Sarah Conner's motherly instincts in Aliens and Terminator respectively, but now motherhood is a dirty word.

I think that's part of why I disliked Hunger Games, I found myself wishing I was watching something like The Running Man instead.
The reason why these characters feel "alien and unlikeable" is because they're women. The reason everyone cites Ellen Ripley and Sarah Connor is because they're over the age of 30, have mommy issues and no qualitative experience with women. Nothing personal, Dom.

DerKryptid

I killed byuu lol
kiwifarms.net
Kids are dumb as fuck and like watching people kill each other. Young adult liturature appeals to prepubescent, wannabe-badasses because that shit was cool as fuck to us when we were kids. Struggling authors often chase after narratives that sell, because they're human like the rest of us and need money to afford basic neccessities to survive. I've yet to hear the case for Heart of Darkness being a Dutch propaganda piece for the violent overthrow of the Belgian monarchy or Hamlet being a tract to re-establish Tudor rule in Stuart England, so I don't understand how the hunger games is the work of globohomo.

DiscoRodeo

kiwifarms.net
Ultimately, these are just fantasies that teenagers and gen x authors like to entertain that give them a sense of meaning. I think its less an insidious propaganda piece and more that gen xers, who were getting more mature and starting to write books in the 2000s, simply translated a zeitgeist of their age onto a new generation through storytelling.

The "rebels fighting a tyrannical orthodoxy" has its appeal to any generation. For gen xers in particular, with things being ironically more materialistic, its a narrative that they may find meaning within. They have to insert themselves into grander crusades to justify living, to create enemies where there may be none, to be don Quixote or mimic Saint George syndrome.

Teens are highly influential and so gobbled these narratives up. Its easy to see where someone who feels powerless and out of control (as basically every teen does) can latch on to a story where people are fighting against oppressive others through an "epics" lens. I don't think anyone was purposely propagandizing people towards this narrative, but I do think it had its own impact in that the current zoomer generation has gone "more woke" and don quixote than others, and is looking to emulate what they read about in real life and prescribing its meaning to real life situations that may not actually reflect the fantastical. Real life often has a lot more nuance than books.

Penrowe

kiwifarms.net
All of media marketed towards in particular children and young adults has become increasingly inundated with insane neomarxist, cultural relativist, postmodern, constructivist, rawlsian dogma.
There is nothing particular about escapist fantasy or specifically genre fiction that makes it more vulnerable to ideological subversion of this sort but genre fiction is almost universally dogshit anyway so it's not like it stands out.

Hunger Games is just trash, I don't even think the author is competent enough to engage in political commentary. Handmaid's Tale is a better example of malignant modern feminism using literature as a vehicle for agitprop.

UselessPieceOfShit

kiwifarms.net
I think it's the other way around: HG and other dystopian YA tried to capture what was in vogue at that time. The main appeal of such books is how they treat their teenage audience. Here teens don't just fight some vague evil guy, they fight against totalitarian state, which means that it's way more serious than other YAs. The struggle itself doesn't mean to be some sort of propaganda vision, but rather to show how children are treated seriously, as they deal with real world shit like politics. Volandemort? Lmao, he's just a syphillit dumb wizard. Just the right guy for a kids book. Now, a Mao stand in? That's some edgy shit right there. Plus, it's a zoomers vs boomers metaphor.
So, everything a teenager would love. And don't forget about romance with a hot guy! And maybe even two.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
It's just boilerplate "fuck the rich" and "LOL reality shows", both been done to death. It did manage to come at a time after Harry Potter but the formula didn't survive to become a blockbuster mainstay. Though apperantly the last book had the twist that the rebels were also going to just take over and restart the whole thing under new management, which already puts Hunger Games as better than 99.9% of modern political works. Might also be why the whole franchise was shoah'd and no one ever speaks of it (probably also fighting a dictator state doesn't sell well to China).

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I wanted to see more of the colorful rich people and what kind of wacky bullshit they get up to in their off hours

Like if they all act like Ruby Rhod from The Fifth Element when they're not gambling on blue collar teenagers

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
All of media marketed towards in particular children and young adults has become increasingly inundated with insane neomarxist, cultural relativist, postmodern, constructivist, rawlsian dogma.
There is nothing particular about escapist fantasy or specifically genre fiction that makes it more vulnerable to ideological subversion of this sort but genre fiction is almost universally dogshit anyway so it's not like it stands out.

Hunger Games is just trash, I don't even think the author is competent enough to engage in political commentary. Handmaid's Tale is a better example of malignant modern feminism using literature as a vehicle for agitprop.
I was very disturbed when I noticed at least 90% of the children's books at Target are Woke SJW stuff like "Because You Matter" with a picture of a little black boy on it.

Kids deserve to be kids and have books that are just fun stories for them to enjoy and have fond memories of, not be given bald faced propaganda.

It's just boilerplate "fuck the rich" and "LOL reality shows", both been done to death. It did manage to come at a time after Harry Potter but the formula didn't survive to become a blockbuster mainstay. Though apperantly the last book had the twist that the rebels were also going to just take over and restart the whole thing under new management, which already puts Hunger Games as better than 99.9% of modern political works. Might also be why the whole franchise was shoah'd and no one ever speaks of it (probably also fighting a dictator state doesn't sell well to China).
This is part of why I thought this would be an interesting topic is because how forgotten the franchise is, I had almost forgotten about it myself before I randomly was reminded.

Everything transitioned to Marvel, Star Wars and other revivals of old franchises, seems like Hunger Games was the last time something new was really popular in the movie world.

And yeah, you used to see a lot of media with that kind of theme of "the rebels are as bad as what they're rebelling against" like the video games Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us, which is of course not a message you see anymore even though it's been proven to be true.

Fougaro

Glow in the dark K/DA Popstar
kiwifarms.net
The Hunger Games from what I remember is in terms of (bad) writing more or less a shounen anime written by a middle aged cat lady. It's basically like Deadman Wonderland but less retarded and with less cringe. Nothing more and nothing less.

Angry Canadian

Give me 30 minutes.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So, the Golden Girls is propaganda?

View attachment 2456929
Yes. Wasn't there an episode where Bea Arthur championed an illegal immigrant and fought ICE? Propaganda doesn't start out as "hey just race mix, do drugs, and why not cut your peepee off", that's the insidious reality of propaganda, media consooomers are like frogs in a cold pot with a fire slowly boiling the water. Normalize soft ideas, repeat them until accepted, then push a little further, normalize the new, more "progressive" idea until accepted, push a little further... ad infinitum.
Yes. The Golden Girls were propaganda.

*edit*
Also, with the slow, methodical approach that modern media has taken, there's the advantage of being able to write articles like "10 times the golden girls were tone deaf about race" while extolling the "progressive values" and using the "correct positions" like Sophia dating a black man, or fighting immigration, to further prop up the new, more "progressive" values being propagandized today.

Last edited: