Was Hunger Games type media political propaganda and brainwashing?

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The Last Stand

Null's homie
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yes. Wasn't there an episode where Bea Arthur championed an illegal immigrant and fought ICE? Propaganda doesn't start out as "hey just race mix, do drugs, and why not cut your peepee off", that's the insidious reality of propaganda, media consooomers are like frogs in a cold pot with a fire slowly boiling the water. Normalize soft ideas, repeat them until accepted, then push a little further, normalize the new, more "progressive" idea until accepted, push a little further... ad infinitum.
Yes. The Golden Girls were propaganda.

*edit*
Also, with the slow, methodical approach that modern media has taken, there's the advantage of being able to write articles like "10 times the golden girls were tone deaf about race" while extolling the "progressive values" and using the "correct positions" like Sophia dating a black man, or fighting immigration, to further prop up the new, more "progressive" values being propagandized today.
Discussing topical, controversial issues on a show does not always count as propaganda. A show can do that without being preachy or blunt. It's all about the writing and execution of it.

Angry Canadian

Give me 30 minutes.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Discussing topical, controversial issues on a show does not always count as propaganda. A show can do that without being preachy or blunt. It's all about the writing and execution of it.
Propaganda is more about framing than directly telling anyone anything, or being preachy or blunt. Blunt propaganda isn't effective at all.
The ICE agent on Golden Girls, for example. If you frame this character as being the villain, and you frame Bea Arthur as the hero, it doesn't matter what you get the character to say, or how you get them to say it. People don't retain those specifics in their long term memory, You probably can't tell me what happens at 46 minutes and 29 seconds into Braveheart, but you can absolutely tell me that William Wallace screams "FREEEEEEDOMMMMMMM"; because that's the moral/point that you're supposed to take away from that movie. Freedom good, slavery bad, colonialism/imperialism bad, autonomy good, YAY Scotland, BOOO England.
That's how propaganda works.

Dom Cruise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yes. Wasn't there an episode where Bea Arthur championed an illegal immigrant and fought ICE? Propaganda doesn't start out as "hey just race mix, do drugs, and why not cut your peepee off", that's the insidious reality of propaganda, media consooomers are like frogs in a cold pot with a fire slowly boiling the water. Normalize soft ideas, repeat them until accepted, then push a little further, normalize the new, more "progressive" idea until accepted, push a little further... ad infinitum.
Yes. The Golden Girls were propaganda.

*edit*
Also, with the slow, methodical approach that modern media has taken, there's the advantage of being able to write articles like "10 times the golden girls were tone deaf about race" while extolling the "progressive values" and using the "correct positions" like Sophia dating a black man, or fighting immigration, to further prop up the new, more "progressive" values being propagandized today.
I think that 2015 Owen Wilson movie No Escape was only made as an excuse to write think piece articles denouncing it.

Propaganda is more about framing than directly telling anyone anything, or being preachy or blunt. Blunt propaganda isn't effective at all.
The ICE agent on Golden Girls, for example. If you frame this character as being the villain, and you frame Bea Arthur as the hero, it doesn't matter what you get the character to say, or how you get them to say it. People don't retain those specifics in their long term memory, You probably can't tell me what happens at 46 minutes and 29 seconds into Braveheart, but you can absolutely tell me that William Wallace screams "FREEEEEEDOMMMMMMM"; because that's the moral/point that you're supposed to take away from that movie. Freedom good, slavery bad, colonialism/imperialism bad, autonomy good, YAY Scotland, BOOO England.
ICE did not exist at the time Golden Girls was airing, are you thinking of some other group?

Angry Canadian

Give me 30 minutes.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think that 2015 Owen Wilson movie No Escape was only made as an excuse to write think piece articles denouncing it.

ICE did not exist at the time Golden Girls was airing, are you thinking of some other group?
"immigration and naturalization service" but typing ICE is easier since they're basically the same thing and you know what I mean lol

DerKryptid

I killed byuu lol
kiwifarms.net
Handmaid's Tale is a better example of malignant modern feminism using literature as a vehicle for agitprop.
If I had a time machine, I would go back to 1985 and brainwash Atwood into writing a transphobic hitpiece complete with femboy man-wives replacing women and making them obsolete. I'd love to see the woke crowd of 2021 get up in arms about whether Atwood was a transphobe or not and completely cannibalize themselves over this issue.

Jazz never died!

Truly epic lulz
kiwifarms.net
They were shitty action movies aimed at the girls with uninteresting love interests. The next time a pretentious film buff say these mediocre movies are great i'll show them Commando.

One Haunted Gambler

The game never ends
kiwifarms.net
I'm pretty sure it's just a badly written book/movie series aimed towards teens.
Those sell a lot, you know.

The Last Stand

Null's homie
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Do tell. Is South Park propaganda? Beavis and Butt-Head? The Simpsons (in it's heyday?)

Angry Canadian

Give me 30 minutes.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Do tell. Is South Park propaganda? Beavis and Butt-Head? The Simpsons (in it's heyday?)
I can't comment on The Simpsons since I haven't seen an episode since season 8 or 9, and I never watched Beavis&Butthead, but from what I remember of the few snippets I've seen + the commercials on MTV, wasn't Beavis and Butthead basically Seth Rogen "Weeeeed lmao" tier humor before Seth Rogen was Seth Rogen?
But let me answer your South Park question with another question. Do you think the network would allow Cartman to be antisemitic if he weren't fat, unpopular, and disgusting?

Like I said, propaganda is less about making an overt message, and more about enframement and creating an emotional association with a particular idea, or position, or viewpoint.

Super Sad Smile

kiwifarms.net
You're overthinking this. It reads very black and white because suzanne wasn't trying to do a thesis on society, its just an excuse for katlady to kill people without it being a problem. The "social commentary" is window dressing for a love triangle, which is the only part I've seen people talk about. Hollywood made adaptations for YA trash like this because it worked for harry potter and that series made a ton of money. Seeing them in live action makes it really obvious how retarded these concepts are though, which is one of many reasons I think all those movies tanked in theaters. I think most books going to shit comes from authors trying to copy John Green moreso than the hunger games. The real problem is that this is the hardest book most teens read where they didn't use sparknotes.

Maurice Caine

You talkin' to me?
kiwifarms.net
You didn't have Divergent for "years".
Those films tanked and Shailene Woodley is an unbearable person who must give great head for Aaron Rodgers to keep her ass around.
No one liked those films and the weirdo chicks who liked all that YA crap laughed at how shitty they were, second only to the film adaption of The Mortal Instruments.

Get help. You're seeing things even Marjorie Taylor Greene would call crazy.

'Young rebellious teens fighting old boomers' has been a fantasy trope since the 60s...and I mean the 1860s.
All of the consoomer shit you love to eat abuses it; anime, Star Wars, Disney films; all of it.
Why? Because it sells.
Teens are little narcissists who think their naive idealism can save the world, so media that panders to their power-fantasy is going to make a buck or two.

Seriously, get help.
It was nothing more than studios trying to obtain the next Harry Potter.

Of course not; he was a teen in the 00s and thinks propaganda for any cause wasn't a thing until HE noticed it was a thing.
I was a kid in the 00s and it sucked because I was poor, still poor but at least I can buy things for myself now

I can't comment on The Simpsons since I haven't seen an episode since season 8 or 9, and I never watched Beavis&Butthead, but from what I remember of the few snippets I've seen + the commercials on MTV, wasn't Beavis and Butthead basically Seth Rogen "Weeeeed lmao" tier humor before Seth Rogen was Seth Rogen?
But let me answer your South Park question with another question. Do you think the network would allow Cartman to be antisemitic if he weren't fat, unpopular, and disgusting?

Like I said, propaganda is less about making an overt message, and more about enframement and creating an emotional association with a particular idea, or position, or viewpoint.
Cartman was literally “dude what if we made Archie Bunker but as a kid and times 10.”

And Archie Bunker was meant to be propaganda, but it backfired because people found his earthy way of speaking charming.

Large

kiwifarms.net
Nothing exists; even if something exists, nothing can be known about it; and even if something can be known about it, knowledge about it can't be communicated to others, even if something can be communicated to others, OP is a fucking retard lol.

Shamash

lawgiver, judge of gods and men, lord of the sun
kiwifarms.net
Eh...the Hunger Games does have a point in its favor by showing what elite decadence looks like.* Also the fact the rebel leaders just want to repeat the whole cycle is sort of a good subversion of the "heroic plucky rebellion" trope.

If there is any propaganda, it was propounding the whole "girl boss" protagonist.

Thing is, its not realistic, and it gives young women a wrong idea of what they would be able to do in harsh conditions, "I'm gonna lead the people against fascism!", when really no you fucking wouldn't, in Katniss' shoes you'd be selling yourself out to the Peacekeepers to feed your little sister.

*total props for the TV announcer guy basically being a more flamboyant Steven Colbert, that is true to life.

Solid Snek

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
All Hollywood media is propaganda. And propaganda is just information with a bias towards something.

When I say "Don't think of an elephant" that's propaganda. It gets you to think a certain way
That's not true. Propaganda isn't 'just' information with a bias towards something that gets you to think in a certain way.

Propaganda is political. It's information with a political bias, that gets you to think in a certain way about some social, political, or economic issue, and which is presented in a deceptive and/or rationally unsound manner.

So for example, saying "don't think of an elephant" would (in most cases) not be propaganda. Likewise, saying "I'm a Nazbol weirdo and here are a bunch of valid but unconvincing arguments that I feel support my position" would not be propaganda, either. Saying "hey kids, here's a fun story about an elephant WHO DIDN'T WANT TO THINK ABOUT KILLING COMMUNISTS", and I'm a dues-paid member of the Kill Communists Party, one cog in a network of well-funded KCP activists who have spent decades infiltrating the children's-stories-industrial-complex, that would be propaganda.

The idea that there is no difference between propaganda and simply trying to convince people of something is, ironically enough, itself a product of propaganda. It's the result of years of attempts to break down the citizenry's instinctive moral revulsion against the idea of propaganda, by painting propaganda as no worse nor better than any other form of information transmission; lies or truth, hidden or open, political or apolitical, it's all the same maaan!

But it's not the same, is it?