Was Hunger Games type media political propaganda and brainwashing?

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

Spunt

A Leading Source of Experimental Internet Gas
kiwifarms.net
"Mary Sue rebels against tyranny and smashes the system" is just a very effective (if tired) trope that gets you on the protagonist's side and it's been a theme, especially in film (where the limited time to tell a story encourages cliches, stock characters and "tell don't show" to get to the plot as fast as possible) since pretty much forever.

If the Hunger Games is propaganda, then so are Flash Gordon, the Running Man, the original Star Wars trilogy, almost every Roald Dahl book, Spartacus and Robin Hood.

Agent Abe Caprine

Clearly you two are first timers.
kiwifarms.net
"Mary Sue rebels against tyranny and smashes the system" is just a very effective (if tired) trope that gets you on the protagonist's side and it's been a theme, especially in film (where the limited time to tell a story encourages cliches, stock characters and "tell don't show" to get to the plot as fast as possible) since pretty much forever.

If the Hunger Games is propaganda, then so are Flash Gordon, the Running Man, the original Star Wars trilogy, almost every Roald Dahl book, Spartacus and Robin Hood.
Robin Hood is furry propaganda.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm only about an hour into about half watching the first movie on rifftrax, and ... I honestly don't hate it.
It's not an og a-list dystopian future but it's a decent enough flex on pop idol shit vs shithole life and stuff
I can't see this supporting a dozen books or whatever but the basic concept isn't _that_ bad
edit for a half hour or so more into and paying slightly more attention yeah nah this is shit for losers

Last edited:

Lensherr

kiwifarms.net
Isn't OPs argument basically a variation on the ol' Jack Thompson "Grand Theft Auto is turning kids into criminals" schtick?

Shamash

lawgiver, judge of gods and men, lord of the sun
kiwifarms.net
One thing I do like somewhat, is how the Capital elite wear degenerate clothes, and have ridiculous hair styles. They look like drag queens and the most faggoty of trannies. Also they are so decadent that at parties they’ll take some sort of drug(I think) that makes them vomit so they can keep eating.

This outrageous decadence is sustained by the impoverishment of the districts backed by “peacekeepers”.

In some ways, you might argue the hunger games is more reactionary than it appears with the girl boss protagonist.

Stoneheart

Well hung, and snow white tan
kiwifarms.net
Yes, I guess, but dont ask me what it was about, Japanese politics is strange and it could have been propaganda for pretty much everything.
Its still a good movie and a must watch for fans of japanese Movies. the american remake is just retarded.