Was popular music the first thing SJWs took over? -

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Before video games, before comic books, before movies, before TV, I've been thinking back to popular music circa 2009 and 2010 and I can't off the top of my head name a single white male artist or group who was hugely popular at the time other than Justin Bieber (if he counts)

It was all either black artists like Beyonce, Black Eyed Peas, Kanye West etc or it was white female musicians like Katy Perry, Lady Gaga, Taylor Swift etc.

Sure, their lyrics weren't always political like what we usually think of when we think SJW culture but looking back this was the first time a wing of media became dominated by the much ballyhooed "women and minorities", just a few years prior in the mid-2000s you had the emo bands like Panic At The Disco, My Chemical Romance and Fallout Boy that were all white dudes, but by 2009 they were no longer huge and it's interesting how that all started right when Obama entered office, isn't it?

And like the proverbial frog in the boiling pot of water they didn't start with taking over a wing of media and openly showing contempt for whites males like they later did with other things, but the whole thing looking back seems like prelude to the reign of the "women and minorities"

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
SJW culture started in the 70s, not 2010s
You know what I mean, modern SJW culture, the mentality that "women and minorities" should entirely dominate the media and cultural landscape and shun white males.

What I'm saying is, what if the push for that in music was politically motivated by the same forces that later sought to conquer stuff like video games and comic books?

Lemmingwise

✊Black in solidarity with black lives matter✊
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You know what I mean, modern SJW culture, the mentality that "women and minorities" should entirely dominate the media and cultural landscape and shun white males.
Again, these aren't new ideas. It isn't new culture. You can find those same ideas in 70s talks and such. Look it up. The only thing that's new is that they actually do dominate the media landscape and aren't just advocating to do so. I'm probably putting it late at 1970s to be honest, but it's always hard to tell on the gradient where exactly the start is.

You can also find everything related to it, including things like free love, strong wahman, men are the problem, safe spaces (safe spaces have the root in creating spaces where people would voice their racism, sexism etc, because people were so polite they wouldn't speak them out loud, and therefor, people couldn't point to the sexism and racism, so to unearth it, the concept of safe spaces was created by psychologist Kurt Lewin, who also first used the word "feedback" outside of factory/mechanical context) , and a number of other things SJW's hold dear.

The biggest change is that back then they were fighting for the right to have gay bars and such, and now it's about marginalization of straight people. But even the goal to marginalize straight people was verbalized and put to paper back then.

The first two things that were taken over were university language departments and women's shelters, long before the takeover of pop culture.

Last edited:

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Again, these aren't new ideas. It isn't new culture. You can find those same ideas in 70s talks and such. Look it up. The only thing that's new is that they actually do dominate the media landscape and aren't just advocating to do so. I'm probably putting it late at 1970s to be honest, but it's always hard to tell on the gradient where exactly the start is.

You can also find everything related to it, including things like safe spaces (these have the root in creating spaces where people would voice their racism, sexism etc, because people were so polite they wouldn't speak them out loud, and therefor, people couldn't point to the sexism and racism, so to unearth it, the concept of safe spaces was created by psychologist Kurt Lewin, who also first used the word "feedback" outside of factory/mechanical context) , free love and a number of other things SJW's hold dear.

The first two things that were taken over were university language departments and women's shelters, long before the takeover of pop culture.
Interesting, but would you point to 2009 as the start of their takeover of pop culture,

The attitudes may have existed in the 1970s but the 1970s was also the era of music like AC/DC.

Lemmingwise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Interesting, but would you point to 2009 as the start of their takeover of pop culture,

The attitudes may have existed in the 1970s but the 1970s was also the era of music like AC/DC.
I wouldn't know where exactly, I would have to think about it.

The following is a bit of a rant and not really closely researched. Just some musings on flashpoints of what I know of mainstream culture. Usually there's is some research behind the things I say. This isn't one of those times:

The 80s is the decade where one of the most dominant entertainers was madonna, who's work is actually completely in line with SJW-ism, though perhaps more so in the 90s than her early music. 90s had an unending stream of le strong women archetypes in film and tv like whatever star trek captain janeway is in and similar with minority hugging shows like prince of bel air. Meanwhile white people were shown in shows like married with children. You had the gay dads of full house.

The only difference is that it was all still kinda covert. Like they didn't say they were gay in full house. They were just men living together with children in san francisco.

Back in the 80s you also had carlin ranting about how the world would be more peaceful if women were in charge and such and attaining wide appeal for it.

But those were completely mainstream shows, comedy, music. And back then they also made quality, partly infused by the somewhat righteous dissidence against censoriousness. But just because the SJW minded ideas came in good looking clothes, their attitudes were no different, and you can see this if you read the interviews with the people that made those things. They were very politically motivated. And most of the time they did not think things go off the rails in recent years.

That means the status quo was the intended destination (or at least some point beyond it, as we're still railroading towards the same direction).

Last edited:

DumbDude42

kiwifarms.net
yes, and it has been happening long before any of us were even born. it was a slower process though, not as quick and overwhelming as it is with internet based media nowadays.

really, all entertainment has been infested with leftism for a long ass time. actors and entertainers used to be considered on the same level as prostitutes in terms of respectability and honor: the dregs of society, the scum of the earth. really not a big surprise they all fell hook, line and sinker for the basic "fuck hierarchy fuck the social order" narrative that leftists use to drive their ideology

Lemmingwise

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
yes, and it has been happening long before any of us were even born. it was a slower process though, not as quick and overwhelming as it is with internet based media nowadays.

really, all entertainment has been infested with leftism for a long ass time. actors and entertainers used to be considered on the same level as prostitutes in terms of respectability and honor: the dregs of society, the scum of the earth. really not a big surprise they all fell hook, line and sinker for the basic "fuck hierarchy fuck the social order" narrative that leftists use to drive their ideology
Is SJW-ism and leftism synonymous?

SSF2T Old User

https://www.fightcade.com/id/KF-SSF2TOldUser
kiwifarms.net
It's not just popular music, other genres seem to be affected as well. Dance music is completely fucked to the ground thanks to EDM being nothing but ear rape, Rap music keeps getting worse and worse with very little to no effort put in with the most "wtf" lyrics ever, and last time I checked (which was around the 2010's when ToddInTheShadows was still popular so I could be wrong now) Country music is imitating rap & R&B. I can't speak of Rock/HeavyMetal as I rarely ever/never listen to that but I'm assuming it's the only thing not niggerized like everything else.

You pretty much have two choices when it comes to listening to "good" music. Either stick with the past, or explore other artists not popular or mainstream on places like Bandcamp or SoundCloud. For example, I still like a lot of dance/electronic music japan artists make, so Yamajet is always my go-to for stuff like that cause he makes some amazing shit.

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
Not all leftists are SJW's but all SJW's are leftists. At no point in the Social Justice screed do you hear talks of smaller government, more business creation, less taxes, family first, religious acceptance, and any other libertarian or right wing talking points.

Everything for social justice is about destroying the status quo and making everyone EQUAL regardless of sex, creed, skin color, religious beliefs. While admirable their path to 'success' is forcing that change on you, your family, your business whether you like it or not and punishing you via the wrath of Social Media and Sanctions if you so much as step out of line.

On the right there is hellfire and brimstone but also forgiveness and redemption, for the left there is the Re-education Camps where you learn to obey and to not question.

I am not saying the right or middle does it any better but we have seen more right wingers come out of the fire they put themselves in (Donald Trump, Newt Gingrich, Rudy Gulianni, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Mel Gibson, etc.) and be successful than leftists who are literally devoured like piranhas by their own for greater virtual asspats, +1s, Likes/Shares, on social media.

Princess Peaches

We work for 40 years and then we die.
kiwifarms.net
In terms of how SJW culture works it's cylindrical. There are periods over and over again in society where conservative, sensitive values are prioritized. Eventually people get sick of self censorship and being an SJW will fall out of fashion, leading to another period of edgy humor and a lack of self censorship. The only question is when will this happen and why? My prediction is soon.

Reverend

kiwifarms.net
In terms of how SJW culture works it's cylindrical. There are periods over and over again in society where conservative, sensitive values are prioritized. Eventually people get sick of self censorship and being an SJW will fall out of fashion, leading to another period of edgy humor and a lack of self censorship. The only question is when will this happen and why? My prediction is soon.
You mean cyclical? as in falling into a cycle?

The 80s was very progressive building on the women's lib of the 70s, the 90s was pure right wing rhetoric and the rise/fall of the Religious Right, 2000s were a hot mess of both as the internet blasted into our brains 24/7/365 on every surface, and the 2010s were about the Rise of Social Justice. I can only pray the 2020s are it's fall and the cooling off until 2030s where the right comes into power again with some insane religious fundamentalism as it always does.

mr.moon1488

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Synonymous no, but doubtlessly linked. Some members of the Frankfurt school even outright stated that attacks against western culture were meant to destabilize western societies and allow for a communist revolution. Likewise, a good 90% of SJW-ism is either directly focused on countering western Christian values, or weakening Christianity's primary support base which are western whites, this being well in line with Marxist dogma.
You mean cyclical? as in falling into a cycle?

The 80s was very progressive building on the women's lib of the 70s, the 90s was pure right wing rhetoric and the rise/fall of the Religious Right, 2000s were a hot mess of both as the internet blasted into our brains 24/7/365 on every surface, and the 2010s were about the Rise of Social Justice. I can only pray the 2020s are it's fall and the cooling off until 2030s where the right comes into power again with some insane religious fundamentalism as it always does.
The US hasn't had an actual religious right since the mid 20th century. Most western churches either simply ignore problematic portions of the bible, or come up with wild explanations for them which are well within what would have been considered blasphemy at any other point in western Christian history. A prime example of how far removed US churches are from the actual teachings of the bible, is the fact that half of the parishioners are circumcised despite this being expressly forbidden in the bible. Likewise, if you ask the standard US Christian the meaning of the 3rd commandment, they'll always say something along the lines of "don't use God's name as a curse word," which is granted not a good thing to do, but not the actual meaning of the commandment, which is "don't promise God will do something." This is hilariously something televangelists do on a regular basis by saying things like "BUY THIS BIBLE, AND YOU'LL BE HEALED TODAY!"

Last edited:

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Likewise, a good 90% of SJW-ism is either directly focused on countering western Christian values, or weakening Christianity's primary support base which are western whites, this being well in line with Marxist dogma.
I don't think this is true. Marxism is opposed to religion itself in principle, but SJW is absolutely willing to coexist with churches that toe the line. Go to some rich white Protestant churches and you'll find plenty of open borders advocacy, BLM banners, rainbow flags, and so on.

mr.moon1488

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't think this is true. Marxism is opposed to religion itself in principle, but SJW is absolutely willing to coexist with churches that toe the line. Go to some rich white Protestant churches and you'll find plenty of open borders advocacy, BLM banners, rainbow flags, and so on.
Is that really coexistence though? To me, that seems on par with saying Holodomor wasn't genocide because the Soviets didn't directly kill their victims, and instead just starved them to death. At the end of the day, forcing all the churches to reject the faith's core meaning is just as bad as outright outlawing the faith.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
forcing all the churches to reject the faith's core meaning
A lot of it's not "forcing" though, it's just common cultural currents among the rich and white.
Anyway my point was that for SJW religion only matters insofar as it overlaps with their pet issues, whereas Marxism is anti-clerical through and through. So I don't see that particular comparison as useful.
You won't see an SJW criticizing Islam, for example, whereas communist China persecutes it relentlessly.

I guess this is off-topic though, so I'll let everyone get back to it.

mr.moon1488

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A lot of it's not "forcing" though, it's just common cultural currents among the rich and white.
Anyway my point was that for SJW religion only matters insofar as it overlaps with their pet issues, whereas Marxism is anti-clerical through and through. So I don't see that particular comparison as useful.
You won't see an SJW criticizing Islam, for example, whereas communist China persecutes it relentlessly.

I guess this is off-topic though, so I'll let everyone get back to it.
I would strongly disagree with it not being forcing given cases like the SPLC putting non-gay churches on hate lists, and the whole bake the cake fiasco, but yeah I've kind of derailed the thread, so I'm going to dip out too. Good talk though.

Reactions: Lemmingwise
Tags
None