Was the nuclear destruction of Nagasaki and Hiroshima morally correct? -

Schlong song

kiwifarms.net
lmao we would have won even if we had gone with Operation Downfall
I don't know. A war with islands like that, in terrain and environments the west aren't used to, only accessible by ship (planes didn't have the range to get to Japan from mainland America IIRC) Would have been a brutal, uphill battle. The japs were willing to fly planes in to boats and did not fear death. How do you fight an enemy on the ground like that? How do you fight through towns and cities without demolishing it with tanks/carpet bombs, without taking on heavy, heavy losses.

It's guerilla tactics that spanked the Yanks and French in Vietnam and the Ruskies in Afghan. To name but a few.

HeyYou

YOU BETTER RUN!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't know. A war with islands like that, in terrain and environments the west aren't used to, only accessible by ship (planes didn't have the range to get to Japan from mainland America IIRC) Would have been a brutal, uphill battle. The japs were willing to fly planes in to boats and did not fear death. How do you fight an enemy on the ground like that? How do you fight through towns and cities without demolishing it with tanks/carpet bombs, without taking on heavy, heavy losses.

It's guerilla tactics that spanked the Yanks and French in Vietnam and the Ruskies in Afghan. To name but a few.
US anticipated heavy losses, which is why we went with the atomic bomb first, but I don't think it's in doubt that within a year and a half we would have won.

Toolbox

Buy dat hell
kiwifarms.net
Yes, and we should have nuked the North Korean border during that war as well. Nuclear explosive irradiation lasts a tiny amount of time in comparison to meltdowns. If it means ending a war before it gets even further out of hand, it is moral. Firebombing is way worse than a nuclear blast that kills in an instant, and that was done all the time over Japan already.

mr.moon1488

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yes, the other option was subject Japan to the USSR. They'd have been begging for the atomic bombs.
The USSR wouldn't have even been a threat to the Axis powers without JewSA interference. Even with Japan being tied up fighting the US, and not really able to provide help to the Germans, the USSR was completely broken after Operation Barbarossa. The US gave the USSR thousands of planes, vehicles, munitions, and supplies, which allowed them to recoup their forces enough to counterattack.

Also, I always love how allied simps react to topics like these.
Killing civilians is wrong and the Axis powers must still answer for these horrible war crimes to this day! Also, any civilians killed by the US, UK, or USSR were justified since it benefited those nations strategically.

Schlong song

kiwifarms.net
US anticipated heavy losses, which is why we went with the atomic bomb first, but I don't think it's in doubt that within a year and a half we would have won.
12 months in Japan would have put you guys seriously behind on the world stage. Good luck focusing your resources on Europe and the ruskies while you're being pulled in to a war of attrition. After 9-12 months of fighting you guys would have gone total annihilation (let's pretend the nuke was never invented) with chem and bio weapons anyway.

Maybe a nuke was more humane?

Schlong song

kiwifarms.net
The USSR wouldn't have even been a threat to the Axis powers without JewSA interference. Even with Japan being tied up fighting the US, and not really able to provide help to the Germans, the USSR was completely broken after Operation Barbarossa. The US gave the USSR thousands of planes, vehicles, munitions, and supplies, which allowed them to recoup their forces enough to counterattack.

Killing civilians is wrong and the Axis powers must still answer for these horrible war crimes to this day! Also, any civilians killed by the US, UK, or USSR were justified since it benefited those nations strategically.
Holocaust vs Carpet bombing.

Gee, those are the same thing.

HeyYou

YOU BETTER RUN!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

I'm not and never did claim that killing civilians is right or wrong in war, I said the Axis killed more civilians than the Allies, which is just a fact. The USSR should have been raked over the coals for their rapes in eastern Europe and Germany and so should the US and Britain for their massacres, but the winner sets the terms as in a lot of wars.

mr.moon1488

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm not and never did claim that killing civilians is right or wrong in war, I said the Axis killed more civilians than the Allies, which is just a fact. The USSR should have been raked over the coals for their rapes in eastern Europe and Germany and so should the US and Britain for their massacred, but the winner sets the terms as in a lot of wars.
I was more directing this towards some of the other posts I'd seen in the thread. Sorry for the confusion.

Hongourable Madisha

You see, some of us don't know English properly.
kiwifarms.net
No, because it meant the officials in charge of the war got away with a lot of their crimes because Japan had supposedly suffered enough. Scum like Shiro Ishii got to live normal lives after the war, while civilians who had no idea what atrocities they were committing were nuked in their place. My family were imprisoned in camps in Semarang, one died and the rest wouldn't have survived the few more months it would've taken for the Allies to liberate Indonesia without the bombs, so I certainly have no love for the IJA, but I can't help but think the bombs meant that the wrong people were punished while the real bastards escaped justice. And nowadays all the bleeding heart types go on about the bombs every time anyone tries to talk about Unit 731, the Rape of Nanking or the "comfort women" policy. Everyone knows about the Holocaust but not enough people know about Japanese war crimes, because it's all overshadowed by the bombs, and that suits the nips just fine so they don't have to pay reparations.

When you play dirty you can’t bitch when the other side does it to you. Don’t really feel like crying over Dresden when there’s a mountain of dead British civilians.

Moloko

Troon-Finder General
kiwifarms.net
No.

Japan was well within their right to attack Pearl Harbor, a military target, in response to American aggression. They even gave you guys several warnings to back off and you still continued dogging them.

America dropped two nukes on peaceful civilian villages. You murdered hundreds of thousands of men, women and children. It was a genocidal act and is considered a war crime by most historians.

It will always be a stain on your country. It's quite amusing watching America police the world over nukes when you are the only country in the world to have committed genocide via nukes.

I guess anime destroying American youth is karma?

Tad Loaf

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, it's war, not some honorable duel with your neighbor. Do anything you have to in order to reduce damage to your people and maximize damage to their's and Japan at that time would agree with the sentiment.