Plagued Weeaboos and other Japan spergs -

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).

Monolith

doot Doot Doot Doot DOOT Doot doot doo-Doot
kiwifarms.net
True, but from what I can gather, CCS's contributions to that phenonemon was largely accidental.

CLAMP may be closet fujoshi and they have their own issues, but they don't strike me as being pedos or intentionally pedo-friendly.
E G G

Syaoran Li

Let The Good Times Roll
kiwifarms.net
When Saban dubbed it as "Glitter Force" and suddenly it was the early 2000s again.
Speaking of which, is it wrong that I kind of miss the 2000's weebs?

Don't get me wrong, they were cringe in their own right, but it didn't seem as bad back then.

It's probably just the nostalgia talking, but even with things like yaoi paddles, edgelords with Death Notes, and teens in headbands doing the Naruto run, the 2000's weebs seem fairly quaint compared to now. Like, they were cringe in their own right, but it seemed a lot more harmless by comparison.

Last edited:

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net

Don't get me wrong, they were cringe in their own right, but it didn't seem as bad back then.

It's probably just the nostalgia talking, but even with things like yaoi paddles, edgelords with Death Notes, and teens in headbands doing the Naruto run, the 2000's weebs seem fairly quaint compared to now. Like, they were cringe in their own right, but it seemed a lot more harmless by comparison.
Take off those rose-colored glasses. They were just as bad.

Syaoran Li

Let The Good Times Roll
kiwifarms.net
Take off those rose-colored glasses. They were just as bad.
You're probably right. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

To be honest, I'd still rather have those weebs than either the modern weebs or your soyboy/SJW types. I think the issue is that weebs back in the 1990's and 2000's were every bit as cringe as they are in the 2010's, but it was mostly apolitical and innocuous, basically dumb spergs being dumb spergs. You didn't have the "Weebs vs. Soyboys/Dangerhairs" culture war bullshit, so it probably seems better in hindsight than it actually was.

PlumSyrup

kiwifarms.net
I don't think it was better, just different. There was less pseudoacademic discourse about whether or not having yaoi husbandos is objectifying the sexuality of gay men, or whether or ahegao is cultural appropriation. There were also just fewer weeaboos.

The stuff you listed wasn't actually harmless, by the way: at the time, it was considered hilarious to hit random unconsenting people with those giant wooden yaoi paddles, and a few people were even severely injured. That era also had stuff like the Final Fantasy House, and the particular breed of horrifying that Hetalia and Homestuck fans were.

Bon Bon

My name is Amanda Hugankiss, this is my story.
kiwifarms.net
You're probably right. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

To be honest, I'd still rather have those weebs than either the modern weebs or your soyboy/SJW types. I think the issue is that weebs back in the 1990's and 2000's were every bit as cringe as they are in the 2010's, but it was mostly apolitical and innocuous, basically dumb spergs being dumb spergs. You didn't have the "Weebs vs. Soyboys/Dangerhairs" culture war bullshit, so it probably seems better in hindsight than it actually was.
I think all intense fandoms are more or less equally bad, but they're all unique in what makes them bad, so you just kind of have to pick what personally grinds your gears

Cole phleps

Phleps badge 1248
kiwifarms.net

I see where you're coming from, I think a lot of the issues we have with weebs these days really started with the 2000's anime boom though. I remember the first time I meant a weeb in real life was during that time and I immediately began to understand why people online hated anime fans with such fervor.

I was in middle school and there was this possibly autistic girl who had horrid personal hygiene no filter or sense of personal space. She would wear the Naruto headbands and had almost exclusively anime related clothes and merchandise. She would carry around a bunch of Bleach and Inuyasha action figures and other anime toys and manga in her messenger bag covered in pins to play with during classes. She stunk bad and would follow around and ramble endlessly to anyone who even so much as showed a slight interest in anime about her favorite shows, characters, and ships and had a tendency to get violent with anyone who got annoyed with her and had no qualms about looking at hentai on her iPod in public. I remember one time she ran up behind someone and decked him square in the back to punch his soul out with one of those gloves from Bleach. I think she really put a lot of people off of anime.

This kind of obsessive-compulsive exceptional behavior seems really common for most outward anime fans I've met IRL and judging from all of the "weeaboo horror stories" I've read online over the years with many of the same qualities many other peoples experience as well. This is why I (and I'm assuming many others) was never really vocal about my enjoyment of the medium in public other than with my friends.

I know anime fans hate the stereotypes associated with the fandom but unfortunately, stereotypes exist for a reason. Many anime fans seem to care very little about the way they conduct themselves in public and I think in turn that attitude has unfortunately rubbed off onto the greater fandom and we see this more and more as time has rolled on. You know. Naruto headbands, running like a jackass, speaking in borderline racist Engrish or, some girl shattering a cosplayers pelvis with a canoe paddle with yoai printed on it at a con may feel almost quaint (especially compared to today's politically charged brand of Japanophile insanity) but, I feel it's important to note that the lack of impulse control and social awareness that started and continued to fuel to those trends back then is still going strong and is the reason we have people wearing ahegao print sweaters and driving around in cars adorned with "loli is life" stickers today as well as the weird political shit that makes no sense like fetishizing Japan as some racially pure ultranationalist ethnostate or, cute anime girls in MAGA hats or the aforementioned pseudo-academic SJW pontificating or, shoehorning in their gender politics where it makes no sense to do so.

I think a lot of these people just don't know where to draw the line and seem almost incapable of focusing on something without incorporating their obsession into it in some way or another. Like they start out as just fans as kids but as they get older it becomes some sort of extension of themselves and it becomes their main coping mechanism, much too their detriment. and it rightfully so puts a lot of people off. I think the Sonic fanbase has similar issues, some people are just too invested and take it too far draw a bunch of attention to themselves and will most likely be many of the uninitiated first impressions of the fandom forever tarnishing its image from the get-go for them and weebs have been masters of this since the 2000s. Throw in the fact that you've been much more likely to run into them in the real world since the boom, on campuses, and in schools and so on compared to other specific groups of obsessive fan spergs and you can start to see why some may not pine for those halcyon days all that much.

Last edited:

WatchingAllOfYou

Ceiling Cat is my soulmate
kiwifarms.net
I'd understand their "point" if they were talking about jousei and seinen manga, which are geared to older audiences and thus can get away with more serious stuff. Heck, maybe if they spoke about shoujo manga since BL/yaoi stuff were originally published in shoujo stories, I'd get it as well...

But shonen manga, geared to teenage boys (and girls) who mostly want fights and action and fanservice? Yeah, I don't really think so. Shonen manga treating LGBT+ issues in ways that aren't fanservicy or stereotypical are still far and in between... Heck, I love what I've read of Family Compo which has a transwoman (Yukari) and her trans man husband (Sora) portrayed quite sympathetically - but that one's seinen, which says a lot.

I give some shonen authors like Yoshihiro Togashi points for trying to include LGBT stuff in shonen manga in non-stereotypical ways (like the okama deal), but IMO it's still gonna take a lot of work to do more shonen stuff that treat such things 100% seriously. And no, fan-favorite m/m couples don't count; I still remember the whiny NaruSasu fangirls who accused Kishimoto of queebaiting and homophobia for not having Sasuke and Naruto hook up, lol. :story:

TLDR: I get wanting more and/or better LGBT rep in manga, but it ain't likely to happen in mainstream shonen stories for quite a while. Go read josei and seinen manga instead, kids.

Last edited:

Namesarehardtocomeupwith

Party like it's 1999
kiwifarms.net
Titty manga translator chimpout over US immigration policies
View attachment 1041880
Based and redpilled Mangadex commenters not having any of it.
Remember this fag? He's still salty two weeks later after quoting mlk and getting shit on.

I Love Beef

WHEN I GROW UP, I'M GOING TO BOVINE UNIVERSITY
kiwifarms.net
The superhero/villain craze is all about the films though. I think my cousin is the only person I've ever actually seen read a physical comic book, so print manga selling relatively more doesn't mean that much. Endgame is the highest grossing film in human history and Joker made over a billion dollars; this isn't about "fandom hierarchy" or whatever you're talking about, these are the biggest, most mainstream films in existence. This is why Scorsese and Coppola have (quite justifiably) criticised the MCU for dominating cinema with formulaic storytelling. I don't see a Japanese cartoon film ever getting anywhere close to that, even if superhero films eventually fall out of fashion at some point. A more valid comparison to superhero films is Westerns, which were huge in the 1950s and 1960s but then fell from grace in the 1970s and were mocked by Blazing Saddles. Westerns still exist today, but far less than before. The same thing may happen to superheroes at some point, but they won't be replaced by billion-dollar-grossing anime films. The medium just isn't anywhere near popular enough for that, and never was.

Furries aren't at all relevant to this, they're a tiny subculture and are hated because of their associations with sexual depravity.
The difference is that I can't really imagine the MCU releasing something as comically awful as Batman and Robin. Given their films are largely written to a formula, I would expect the end of the trend to just be if people get bored of it. After this superhero films would be seen as an outdated trend, but not something innately laughable; bear in mind that most MCU films have very positive reviews, and those won't go away if the genre falls from grace like Westerns or musical films (which were also huge in the 1950s-1960s and now very unusual) did.
To dig up this old subject again, as resident western hemisphere anime history sperg, I have some doubts that anime will have the same impact as it did back in the late 1990s and 2000s if it comes back again out here.

Anime literally exploded not just due to WB Kids importing the Pokemon anime, but a combination of the 1996 Comics Crash, the rise of importing video games out from Japan, the cultural setting and anticipation of how the year 2000 and essentially the next millennium would signal mankind going into a state of technological and psychological progress seen from sci fi, the rise of the internet and private computer ownership for public consumption, the fall of summer blockbusters into the late 1990s, and the residual wake from the 1980s Japan Economic Bubble Boom, including college students who went overseas and wanted to engage in Japanese study courses. All of this combined laid out a proper opening for unknowing fans to be exposed to anime.

Plus, while there were plenty of fans who were unwashed chunnibyous, I can definitely see why anime was loved by them and us. Anime was everything comics and animation from the States should have been, yet from a place long known as "the land of freedom", expression and artistic creativity is not a strong suit of America; harsh words, but that's the truth. There wasn't just stuff for kids, but those who grew up, and what was for kids out in Japan shocked and wowed us knowing that what was consider Adults And Up for us. Anime showed us realms of creativity and worlds of inspiration beyond capes, musicals, and slapstick farce in a time when comics and animation were only few and far between many extremes. Plus back in the day, we didn't need to catch up with shows either, we could play fuckin' video games, and that was just as cool too. It wasn't just animation or mediums, it was a style that rallied its fist up like Kenshiro or Alita over a broken ass wasteland of broken dreams and meaningless thoughtcrime censorship warfare, and gathered many of us to go to paradise. Hell, back in the day, reporters on the comics industry were outright baffled at how manga got even females to read comics, something that they never had cross their minds. People were outright blown that "such a childish medium has boobies and fucking and gore!" And they were rightfully "YOU WA SHOCK'D" right in their fucking faces.

But as said by someone wiser, "with every high comes a hangover", and that writes itself, and with insight from me, what goes around is what must come around, but alas, we haven't seen the come around. I know I sperg on and on about this, but creative works that are powerful enough to cross national boundaries and even the fucking ocean and yet never reverberate its feedback back around the world again, that's unnatural. We wouldn't have animation without the French doing it first and presenting it everywhere. We wouldn't have new styles of Jazz if the musicians just stayed out in the States instead of going to Paris in the 1930s. We wouldn't have more aggressive forms of rock n' roll if it wasn't for The Beatles, Elvis Presley going around the world to learn Karate, and Punk going out to NYC from the UK. We wouldn't have manga and anime either if it wasn't for America FUCK YEAH punching the shit out of an imperial dynasty that misinterpreted and ate the leftover European imperialism shit the Germans, French, and British shit out a century before. I'm just saying that maybe instead of sitting around and thinking anime and manga can be captured through watching it days on end like what normal weeaboos do, some actual study and engaging in its cultural spirit would be much better, "muh cultural appropriation" faggots and "WWII didn't need Nagasaki and Hiroshima to be bombed" be damned.

Maybe my perspective is too optimistic and rooted from a less dirtied and sullen angle. Maybe I am not broken or asshurt enough like the self hating whites who can't separate themselves from the actual tyrants and shitheads and rot their brains drinking soylent and their own self pity. Maybe the inspiration was just too much and gave the bottom feeders such a high from a dearth of imagination that they couldn't process it right. Maybe the anime fans out in the States believe they should only be an audience. But as said from a much better Star Wars story: "Every generation has its own challenges to face, its own battles to win. Why should yours be any different? Running away from your responsibilities won't solve anything!"

Anime I feel will not have the same impact as it did back in the day because back when it came out Stateside, it was more than just animation and comics from Japan. As I said before countless times elsewhere on the Farms, "Another side of an industry that thrives solely on spectatorship is not an industry; it is merely just an audience and a source of consumers". Japan is still able to pump out what it wants and not give a fuck because well artists and creators over there will do what they want, first, foremost, and ultimately, regardless of exceptions, and it will have an industry regardless of current day faults and problems because if there is work, there is pay and payoff. I think that that now, the US anime community has been given more than enough time to be mouthy spectators, and especially in a time where the Great Recession's effects still loom over and effects everyone. Ass News Network gloats on and on about how the overseas anime fan communities are literally throwing money at Japan and how "our artsy fartsy tastes are what is keeping these poor animators afloat", but they fail to realize that the sources of their beloved creative works don't just pop up from fucking nothing and that what they whine about when Japan doesn't pander or minstrel to their call enough times, the entertainer will revolt right back or outright quit for another better venue. If Japan was doing well without the Great Recession fucking them over, I wouldn't doubt that the first failed anime commission by Netflix or Crunchyroll would have them immediately shut their doors and say "thanks fuck off bye" because there would be more money to chase elsewhere, and these faggots would cry off into the distance. Even then, it's going to take more than just Japan doing all of the anime idea shit Netflix and everyone throws at Japan and begs them to make in the future, risks and dangers otherwise. To recapture a time like when Anime utterly made itself known to the US and kicked ass and took names, you can't just gain that with money.

And as for the MCU? I wouldn't hold your breath on its decline. Marvel's still swimming in money, and unless they are really that prideful and full of hubris to do something so stupid that would reverse their fortunes, they'll keep going. Granted, I don't dislike superhero movies as much anymore because well they're harmless and most people with an ounce of sanity like both anime and comics, but one motherfucker I'm keeping my eyes on is Perlmutter. That motherfucker would fuck over Marvel Studios if it meant increasing his pay by a fucking penny. As he was the guy who fucked over and was another source of the Comics Book Crash of 1996, he's as charismatic and evil as a JRPG villain. Don't trust his ass.

Last edited:

Syaoran Li

Let The Good Times Roll
kiwifarms.net
And as for the MCU? I wouldn't hold your breath on its decline. Marvel's still swimming in money, and unless they are really that prideful and full of hubris to do something so stupid that would reverse their fortunes, they'll keep going.
Yeah, but if anyone is that prideful and so full of hubris that they could sink something as currently big as the MCU in the early 2020's, it's Disney.

Disney's the same company that essentially sank Star Wars, one of the most profitable and popular franchises of all time.

Cheetahman

kiwifarms.net
Remember this fag? He's still salty two weeks later after quoting mlk and getting shit on.
And now for something completely politically different
2.jpg.png

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And now for something completely politically different
View attachment 1058482
This can't be real.
10.png

The comments are screeching it's fake, but I legit don't know anymore and I don't care.