Plagued Weeaboos and other Japan spergs -

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
Looks like Funimation is doing more woke/politically charged translations, and woke Gaijin Twitter were acting like retards as usual. I thought I'd share this tweet & account:

View attachment 2321598
View attachment 2321597
View attachment 2321602
Nice job spitting in the face of old school fansubbers there. I like the appeal to authority there too that you need years and years of education to fully grasp understanding fucking foreign cartoons.

Professional is also the word I'd use last to describe the translators at Funimation.

Also man it sucks so much these people can't live in Japan without spreading their poisonous ideologies.
These people act like they're some brilliant scholar producing the most fine translations of some foreign country's most important literature, the sort of translator whose translation itself is artful. When in reality they're painfully mediocre at best with what they do and could be replaced by basically anyone fluent in Japanese and English who knows the basics of how a translation works. So I guess they fit well alongside all the other mediocre (and that's being far too generous) and egotistical writers and artists on Twitter who whine and screech when people criticize them.

Phil Ken Sebben

BOO!
kiwifarms.net
On one hand I get what they're saying but on the other it reeks of that "The Japanese fandom thinks differently than us and they do problematic things which is bad" rhetoric, at least that's the vibe I'm getting from some of the replies and quote tweets.

Also, no shit someone is going to value a Japanese person's opinion of a Japanese product more than somebody elses, it's like saying an Italian person's opinion on Italian cuisine at an American restaurant is worth the same as a regular American's whose never even tasted Italian food before.
View attachment 2325901
Tweet:
https://twitter.com/AsarathaHS/status/1412808781226905602
No, you know what's unbelievably cringe? Being so into animu that you complain when the Japanese don't think about your favorite one in the same way.

These people act like they're some brilliant scholar producing the most fine translations of some foreign country's most important literature, the sort of translator whose translation itself is artful. When in reality they're painfully mediocre at best with what they do and could be replaced by basically anyone fluent in Japanese and English who knows the basics of how a translation works. So I guess they fit well alongside all the other mediocre (and that's being far too generous) and egotistical writers and artists on Twitter who whine and screech when people criticize them.
I've said it before but translation is less a science than an art. Unless the language you're translating to and from are similar you'll never fully get the same thing from two different translators. And often times the translated words aren't the same or carry the same meaning.

For instance in Japan it's not uncommon for a child to refer to an older person as "brother" or "sister". Or how you call the mother of a friend "aunt" and their father "uncle". There's no actual words for this in English. So it's either do a slavish translation and when somebody says "oniichan" to somebody who isn't their older brother you call them "(older) brother" or you use a different term that gets the point across.

And this idea of getting excited because they're being more "woke" in their translations means you're going to miss some of the meaning in preference for having an agenda. And that's bad.

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
For instance in Japan it's not uncommon for a child to refer to an older person as "brother" or "sister". Or how you call the mother of a friend "aunt" and their father "uncle". There's no actual words for this in English. So it's either do a slavish translation and when somebody says "oniichan" to somebody who isn't their older brother you call them "(older) brother" or you use a different term that gets the point across.
It's not unheard of in English for kids to call adult friends-of-the-family "Uncle" or "Aunt," but I wouldn't do it anyway.

Phil Ken Sebben

BOO!
kiwifarms.net
It's not unheard of in English for kids to call adult friends-of-the-family "Uncle" or "Aunt," but I wouldn't do it anyway.
Yeah, that's not quite the same thing. That's somebody you're still somehow close to. I'm talking meeting somebody on he street and referring to them as that to somebody.

I believe India has something like that too where an older woman would be called auntie and an older man be called uncle so maybe it's an Asian thing.

Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, that's not quite the same thing. That's somebody you're still somehow close to. I'm talking meeting somebody on he street and referring to them as that to somebody.

I believe India has something like that too where an older woman would be called auntie and an older man be called uncle so maybe it's an Asian thing.
Then don't do that, though I think the rough equivalent would be calling an old guy, say, "Pops." (And even that is probably off the mark.)

MF ALBERT

Novice computer programmer celebrating Halloween
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon is still making people mad on Twitter, mainly because of these gifs from the episode in question: 8D8E297D-D647-43AA-9D0E-84544BF61D38.gifE3F2482A-A400-4B09-AD76-D53F19471038.gifA781AE7F-2192-4DAC-8FEE-942359D38604.gif

One twitter user called out so called fans of the anime for showing them an ecchi scene from the manga, which goes to show that they’re not much of a fan:

E6CE0A06-9D72-4EAC-83AB-BE704AF28810.jpeg7FBAFD2E-30D7-4388-9B70-E3DF8599690F.jpeg468F16C4-610E-4F2F-801D-76F81584957E.jpegBF66EF27-C142-415C-B665-84F6BAD99B95.jpeg

Either way, users on Twitter could not help themselves:

F3510DFE-38BB-4D9B-9EA8-37A2D15550F7.jpeg3CBD9A80-95F3-4C0B-9CA5-076220672BF7.jpeg5BCF4BCE-4EEA-45B1-A365-C7BAF2B887A4.jpeg6557798B-8AB9-4573-AB9C-F998B584F467.jpeg57FBAD89-74C3-4577-91A5-40E915D08378.jpeg08032280-DE03-4B78-80CA-7327048F21B4.jpegFA39F418-7CF9-4607-B74A-7417D7BFEB34.jpegC35C4BB9-77A2-4787-8BCD-2E6D2A6D0DEC.jpeg95A211D1-DE46-4560-8158-66B26AA66E2A.jpegBC0FD0C3-9B56-4D5B-AF47-E73EDFC969B4.jpeg09FAF3D4-F505-403E-BCD9-CCB03B9DFB6A.jpeg225FF218-8F58-4A56-A6EA-AF062E673786.jpeg7D87CB7C-1118-4BE7-BB4C-86F3B7009CB3.jpeg879D5D18-917C-4AAD-AA2B-D9A5175EF9A6.jpeg99AB8206-5685-495E-A424-D68571E9A8B3.jpeg82429732-07F5-4D61-84D4-DBF1AA3EB520.jpeg68B58423-76C3-4DDF-89B6-A28467EE6E4A.jpeg9DF00FF7-B613-4189-8160-FF2E1B4E814E.jpeg6A2C2B79-D2B5-4EAF-AA20-43DD41D20B04.jpeg03AEC329-B93E-4C01-A992-138B05F601DD.jpeg61CB02AC-0B89-45AE-8DC6-32D71151B98B.jpegED8C42A6-5568-40EB-BEBA-378FC3CBF59E.jpeg71D8948E-2692-4DE3-A9F2-D3358BFD9B26.jpeg9909496D-DD44-4501-AA03-70876755A14C.jpeg21504FF8-FAAC-4FFC-86B3-54A44AE819DD.jpegDBA16A1D-9415-41C2-8635-531576C3A891.jpeg44DA1EAF-A2EA-4E59-9838-F4E1C4F1E3BA.jpegCA3AA782-382A-4CF4-8D0C-3C516D489188.jpeg17EE36B1-B17F-4775-B4AB-6DC45194CB6D.jpegE112B283-D882-4579-84B2-676E251AEDAB.jpeg26BF8E87-34C2-468D-ADF6-31BC6E0BEF86.jpegB36E2CD9-0111-496A-8547-CC52A5C6BFF5.jpeg283B3B3F-2F40-4B94-920D-AD2E6AA3276B.jpeg45632358-41C6-43BC-8E20-EE3F11F24553.jpeg28B84822-DF97-4EEA-A834-0BA09BB2D972.jpeg94552E16-CA3D-4BB6-A22D-734568B9B85F.jpeg80455D0E-01F1-44FD-AB1C-69B497473FCD.jpeg516B3A31-1D22-41B3-AC91-CF2C50CC0418.jpeg231918E1-1202-42A3-BABA-69E6B86F6092.jpegDC299B5A-2CBA-422B-AA5A-CC957A4BEC47.jpegE39CCE3A-9F8F-4409-B218-73D5EEBD4158.jpeg1661FAB2-E259-4370-B4FB-7A5EA093D3B7.jpeg

@Meat Target I know you don’t approve of this autism, but do your best to protect your favorite Dragon Loli. This is just too much.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
How did these people ever make it through the first season when it has countless scenes where a dragon girl with a huge ass and even bigger tits sexually harasses the shota she moved in with? Oh wait, let me guess, most of them didn't even watch it, they just liked a bunch of gifs and clips on Tumblr and Twitter and read some fanfic and identify with the "fandom".

Dynamic

kiwifarms.net
As someone who is bilingual, I always like it when someone learns my language. She's acting like a cunt about people learning Japanese and translating. Sure, I agree that a lot of professional translators do shit work because they think it's funny to insert memes or outdated slang, but some are doing a good job of translating anime/manga. Funny that she has an MA in Chinese Philosophy. Doesn't she know how the Chinese were treated by both the Japanese and Americans?

They definitely go out of their way to politicize anything they get their hands on. When it comes to all this culture war bullshit, I'm glad there's fansubbers that do respectable work. At least I have lots of older shows that I can enjoy without disclaimers or re-edited subtitles because the translator used an offensive word. Oddly enough, that is a thing. Someone is going around "fixing" tokusatsu fansubs because they used the word "exceptional" or "motherfucker" in the script. :story:

View attachment 2324844
View attachment 2324847
Gaim got big on Tumblr. The fandom has never recovered.
On one hand I get what they're saying but on the other it reeks of that "The Japanese fandom thinks differently than us and they do problematic things which is bad" rhetoric, at least that's the vibe I'm getting from some of the replies and quote tweets.

Also, no shit someone is going to value a Japanese person's opinion of a Japanese product more than somebody elses, it's like saying an Italian person's opinion on Italian cuisine at an American restaurant is worth the same as a regular American's whose never even tasted Italian food before.
View attachment 2325901
Tweet:
https://twitter.com/AsarathaHS/status/1412808781226905602
Despite being a exceptional individual they're right. It doesn't matter if you're Italian or American, if you think the food tastes like shit then that's a valid opinion. Japan's taste in animation is terrible and the more they pander to modern Japanese audiences the worse it's getting. Do you want more moe harems and loser kids sucked into MMOs because that's all Japan is interested in this century. Most of Japan's iconic animation is pulling from Western media and repurposed by the Japanese.

Meat Target

Rashek did nothing wrong.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
@Meat Target I know you don’t approve of this autism, but do your best to protect your favorite Dragon Loli. This is just too much
I shall drive railroad spikes into the brain, heart, dick, and balls of any foolish chomo that lays a hand on Kanna for any reason that is not headpats.

Wild Wild Wisteria

このハックフロード野郎!
kiwifarms.net
Nothing really cracks me up more than entitled weebs getting all uppity at anime subgroups for benign shit like not using honorifics or adding (context appropriate) swears. These 2 examples are from Nyaa

scrub 2.jpgscrub 1.png

If you understand what the characters are calling each other does it really matter what the subtitles say? Unless they're complete gibberish or distractingly inaccurate, subs don't hold as much importance as these people give them. For fucks sake it's not like anyone's using them as a 1:1 tool to learn Japanese. Unless...:thinking:
As someone who's fluent in Japanese I don't really need subs but I like having them on the off chance I come across a word I forgot/don't know yet or when a character's line is drowned in the BGM and sound effects. From what I've seen over the years watching subbed anime, 95% of subs are decent enough translations and what does end up lost in translation are inconsequential, super minor details that have no bearing on the plot in the slightest. It's vital to keep in mind that this shit is free pirated stuff, not something you invested money in, so when the subs do end up being shitty then guess what? you can find a ton of other free alternatives made by different sub groups.

But most importantly, we're talking about fuckin anime here - who the fuck cares if it's not accurate? Just have fun with the dang ole chinese cartoons ya fuckin spergs.

Registration

kiwifarms.net
times as important as what is. Context in Japanese matters. It's not always straight forward as it might seem and it's hard for a non-Japanese person to get it. So in that sense it makes sense if the words or meaning is changed to make it m

I am once again asking weirdos why they think little kids have enormous tits.

Nothing really cracks me up more than entitled weebs getting all uppity at anime subgroups for benign shit like not using honorifics or adding (context appropriate) swears. These 2 examples are from Nyaa

View attachment 2352801View attachment 2352799

If you understand what the characters are calling each other does it really matter what the subtitles say? Unless they're complete gibberish or distractingly inaccurate, subs don't hold as much importance as these people give them. For fucks sake it's not like anyone's using them as a 1:1 tool to learn Japanese. Unless...:thinking:
As someone who's fluent in Japanese I don't really need subs but I like having them on the off chance I come across a word I forgot/don't know yet or when a character's line is drowned in the BGM and sound effects. From what I've seen over the years watching subbed anime, 95% of subs are decent enough translations and what does end up lost in translation are inconsequential, super minor details that have no bearing on the plot in the slightest. It's vital to keep in mind that this shit is free pirated stuff, not something you invested money in, so when the subs do end up being shitty then guess what? you can find a ton of other free alternatives made by different sub groups.

But most importantly, we're talking about fuckin anime here - who the fuck cares if it's not accurate? Just have fun with the dang ole chinese cartoons ya fuckin spergs.
I am in favor of using the japanese honorifics.

The reason is quite simple: it gives you the context of their relationship.

Now lets see how it is when you remove it: it takes iformation from the viewer.

When you translate it: it sounds really rough, and the amount of specific honorifics that doesn't have a direct translation, and then you have the job to find some word to substitute it.

The fact is: to use the original honorifics is lazier, more efficient and doesn't rob the viewer from information. It is a win-win scenario with no drawbacks. The fact is that english is a simple language and doesn't allow much variation, so fighting against it is a battle lost for the person who is translating and the viewer. Just leave it alone, it is easier that way.

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
I am in favor of using the japanese honorifics.

The reason is quite simple: it gives you the context of their relationship.

Now lets see how it is when you remove it: it takes iformation from the viewer.

When you translate it: it sounds really rough, and the amount of specific honorifics that doesn't have a direct translation, and then you have the job to find some word to substitute it.

The fact is: to use the original honorifics is lazier, more efficient and doesn't rob the viewer from information. It is a win-win scenario with no drawbacks. The fact is that english is a simple language and doesn't allow much variation, so fighting against it is a battle lost for the person who is translating and the viewer. Just leave it alone, it is easier that way.
I don't really care about this issue either way, but you don't need a word to translate the honorifics because you show it in the dialogue by rendering it more formal or more casual.

This also avoids stupid translations like "Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro" where literally translating Nagatoro-san as "Miss Nagatoro" sounds awkward in English.

Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
I don't really care about this issue either way, but you don't need a word to translate the honorifics because you show it in the dialogue by rendering it more formal or more casual.

This also avoids stupid translations like "Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro" where literally translating Nagatoro-san as "Miss Nagatoro" sounds awkward in English.
A good rule of thumb for translation is that you want to have the characters talking the way you would in their situation - like they were a native speaker. That's why you shouldn't have people using honorifics. You only do that if they're explicitly meant to be foreign.

Phil Ken Sebben

BOO!
kiwifarms.net
A good rule of thumb for translation is that you want to have the characters talking the way you would in their situation - like they were a native speaker. That's why you shouldn't have people using honorifics. You only do that if they're explicitly meant to be foreign.
And that works. There's no reason to use "san" if the people aren't Japanese. And there's no reason to not use it if they are.

The problem is you have two camps of weebs. Those that believe names and everything should be localized to whatever works for the situation. This is where we get rice balls turning into jelly donuts in Pokemon and some of the names are changed. But for less important things it really doesn't matter. This is why Satoshi's name was changed to Ash and why he lives in the Kanto region.

And then you have the ones that say it should be done exactly as it was. So if the person's name is Hananakajima then that's how they're to be called dammit! And this means adding either san or any honorific because that's what they said.

The problem is they're both right... and they're both wrong. A slavish translation leads to errors. But so does localizing it to the point where the original meaning is lost. Although that can lead to interesting novelties like "Samurai Pizza Cats". Basically a gag dub that had the writers and performers just having fun with the whole thing and not taking the idea of small robot animals living in a pastiche of ancient Edo and the modern world seriously.

Steamboat_Bill

kiwifarms.net
And that works. There's no reason to use "san" if the people aren't Japanese. And there's no reason to not use it if they are.

The problem is you have two camps of weebs. Those that believe names and everything should be localized to whatever works for the situation. This is where we get rice balls turning into jelly donuts in Pokemon and some of the names are changed. But for less important things it really doesn't matter. This is why Satoshi's name was changed to Ash and why he lives in the Kanto region.

And then you have the ones that say it should be done exactly as it was. So if the person's name is Hananakajima then that's how they're to be called dammit! And this means adding either san or any honorific because that's what they said.

The problem is they're both right... and they're both wrong. A slavish translation leads to errors. But so does localizing it to the point where the original meaning is lost. Although that can lead to interesting novelties like "Samurai Pizza Cats". Basically a gag dub that had the writers and performers just having fun with the whole thing and not taking the idea of small robot animals living in a pastiche of ancient Edo and the modern world seriously.
Samurai Pizza Cats is the way it is because the original series was full of references and parodies of Japanese pop culture that had never made it here. The dub adapted the show's style of humor but not the references.

But I think you can keep the names and general Japanese culture without having to put footnotes everywhere. Translation notes are fine in a book or comic but if I'm watching a sub, am I going to pay attention to that? Is it going to clog up the screen?