Weeb Wars / AnimeGate / #KickVic / #IStandWithVic / #vickicksback - General Discussion Thread

jellycar

Hello, I'm Shelley Duvall
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That bitch ruined Shinji's voice by turning him from a whiner baby to a little girl.
I still haven't bothered listening to the new dub. For a long time I genuinely hated Tiffany Grant because I thought she was an annoying weeaboo (i.e. the Asuka collection) but she genuinely seems like a fun person. Her performance as Altena in Noir was what made me see differently. She was excellent in the og series and the reboot films and I hope she returns for the final. Apparently some girl from Ireland plays Asuka? And...umm.....Erica Lindbeck as Ritsuko?! Am I on drugs because that is a miscast. Ritsuko is supposed to be voiced by a late 30s+ actress.

Spike, Tiffany, Allison forever imo. Amanda Winn Lee actually directed a decent dub. I'm shocked.

spirit of e m o s h

apparently a problem
kiwifarms.net
And you guys keep calling people rape apologists
Yeah. Regardless of how you look at it the intent is obviously to make Vic the worst kind of person possible. Monica first decides to mention her story about how she was raped as as a teen & how fighting back doesn't yield good results so she learned to just go along with it. She THEN gives us the story about her & Vic. Like I said, the intent is obvious. That's a NASTY person.

Dopey Cunt

Death by SNU SNU.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Monica first decides to mention her story about how she was raped as as a teen & how fighting back doesn't yield good results so she learned to just go along with it.
Listen, as a female, I'd rather die trying to fight my way out than lay there shamefully and allow someone to defile me down to every molecule because at the end of the day, I'd rather someone put a bullet in my brain than to be forced to do something so horrific. The pain and shame would be too much for me to bare. It already is sometimes.

I'd kick and scream, I'd bite and I'd scratch and claw. I'd make it extremely difficult and unpleasant for them.

Last edited:

I Love Beef

Bell peppers and bee- HEY WAIT A SEC WHERE'S THE B
kiwifarms.net
As an aside, a lot of these people go to CalArts and are networking and bringing in other Tumblrinas into the American animation industry. See if you can see these tropes appearing in the very few US cartoons and comics that are actually coming out nowadays.
As also shown in Pleb's comic, Tumblr artists are trying and failing to replicate anime (mostly something like Sailor Moon's style) thanks to A:TLA, but don't realize/recognize what it is about the style that makes it work in Japanese animation which then tends to look odd in Western animation. I still remember anime fans screeching about Teen Titans "ripping off" anime and that it was an ugly show, but that died with A:TLA even though the shows were only a few years apart, and now you see that animesque style everywhere. Tumblr artists want to make their own style to "stand out" while still paying "homage" to their favorite shows, and so they forgo the human anatomy under the guise of "Gotta know the rules to break the rules, tee hee!" but all they see is surface-level detail. They rarely understand there's still a fixed skeletal structure to be had especially in the face, and all anime follows the same rules of animation.

It's also more hilariously ugly when you point out just how stylized and diverse anime/manga characters actually are, like if you don't pay attention to the credits, you might think you're watching/reading something made by a Westerner just because of how the characters' faces look. The CalArts shit people like to point out and make fun of also exists in anime if you know where to look (typically more those that are clearly inspired by Western animation), but that gets ignored because it's glorious Nippon even if it's been out-sourced to the same Korean sweatshops as Steven Universe. I hear that CalAts teachers hate-hate-hate seeing the anime style in students' works and portfolios, but that could be because they've just been seeing the same manufactured mainstream popular face and tits and are sick of it. They might not actually have much of an issue with it if someone's style was influenced by Naoki Urasawa.
Probably going to toot my oldfag horn a bit here, but I think the CalArts guys are not only jealous and irritated that another animation and art style, let alone another artstyle from overseas did everything that animation out west should have done, and ironically took not only the core meat of the potential fanbase but the kitchen sink when it did. Maybe it's me, but anime got where it was because it didn't regulate itself to children's entertainment and whatever the FCC and The Morality Squad thought they needed to do when they were trying to beat the Muslims and Aum Shinrikyo to get their 12 virgins promised by God upon Judgement Day when the year 2000 was rolling around, not merely looking pretty and having nice art to look at.

Plus for all of anime's "genericness", I can say anime has "roots" to go to, utilizes more aspects of subtlety, has a "community style" based out of well, tradition, and most importantly, has given itself symbolic relevance. I'm probably living in my own bubble, but when I see anime, I don't see just big eyes and robots and martial arts that allow you to fire energy from your hands and fly, I see a style that said "fuck you excessive standards" and just did what the fuck ever and succeeded. As much as anime spawned its own thriving social ecosystem out here for better and for worse, as someone said here on the Farms before, "nature abhors a vacuum" and it rewards the ones who are hungry and want the throne and goes for it. Besides, has anyone bitched and moaned about how Renaissance art and its shared use of human anatomy styles and aesthetics to be "generic"? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Anyone can make "an individual style." Try making a style on your own you can look at and call charming and nice on the eyes. That shit takes not only work but years of dedication and study, and your chances are as good as winning the lotto if it comes to a pitch at a big time studio. Plus, we don't live in the Roaring 20's anymore. No one is going to give you a grant to make animation anymore off of the street.

This is why I refused to go to animation school. For all of CalArts' and Tumblr and Twitter's boasting of "equality! equality! equality!" and trying to ape the anime style out of its own petty self inflicted sufferings, they can't see the forest for the trees, the art for the inspiration, and the human work for the human element. Tying back into fujoshi and their ilk, all I can say is that they're posers. By the time 18 and college hits, the sensation will fade and they'll just go back to being a part of the scenery. If they're artists, they're already wrecks of washed out anime fans with weak willed convictions who only fool themselves that distancing themselves from anime "is a good thing". Being an artist isn't just about how skilled you are, it's also a personal journey. We already know what happens to people who can't be true to themselves, and CalArts styles appears to have given itself this communicative distinction.

Dumb Bitch Smoothie

Any time now, faggots.
kiwifarms.net
Listen, as a female, I'd rather die trying to fight my way out than lay there shamefully and allow someone to defile me down to every molecule because at the end of the day, I'd rather someone put a bullet in my brain than to be forced to do something so horrific. The pain and shame would be too much for me to bare. It already is sometimes.

I'd kick and scream, I'd bite and I'd scratch and claw. I'd make it extremely difficult and unpleasant for them.
I mean there are some situations where fighting back could be dangerous. But in those circumstances you don't just twiddle your thumbs and wait ten years you go to a medical professional, a teacher/school faculty or law enforcement.

I don't knock on people who can't or don't fight.

I knock on people who wanna say they were so traumatized they waited ten years to tell Twitter about it.

giraffes on coffee

I prefer tea.
kiwifarms.net
I mean there are some situations where fighting back could be dangerous. But in those circumstances you don't just twiddle your thumbs and wait ten years you go to a medical professional, a teacher/school faculty or law enforcement.

I don't knock on people who can't or don't fight.

I knock on people who wanna say they were so traumatized they waited ten years to tell Twitter about it.

And there are situations where you can be manipulated into saying yes. That happened to me. It took years for me to realize a yes under duress is not a yes.

That being said, with Monica's story she said she froze in fear when he kissed her. Froze because she had been raped at 15.

Okay, if you freeze in fear when a man makes a pass at you, a man that wasn't a stranger but a good friend you've known for maybe 7 years at that point, then how did you handle dating anyone including your personal fucking fiance?

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
And there are situations where you can be manipulated into saying yes. That happened to me. It took years for me to realize a yes under duress is not a yes.

That being said, with Monica's story she said she froze in fear when he kissed her. Froze because she had been raped at 15.

Okay, if you freeze in fear when a man makes a pass at you, a man that wasn't a stranger but a good friend you've known for maybe 7 years at that point, then how did you handle dating anyone including your personal fucking fiance?
We just have to assume any sex Ron has had with her is brutal rapes with her only choice being to submit or be beaten with a remote.

xyz741

kiwifarms.net
Maybe it's me, but anime got where it was because it didn't regulate itself to children's entertainment ...
Anime got to where it is because frankly their artists have a WHOLE lot of commitment and drive and too many of ours have their heads up their asses. This isn't "Americans" v. "Japanese" though, because basically the anime industry is like the video game industry and the US doesn't have animators that're that driven. In Japan, you have had a bunch of little studios working for peanuts, trying to crank out a hit. Here in the US, you can find the same thing all over... for video games. You can find a ton of little indie shops of dedicated programmers that have dreamed of making their own "Quake" or GTA or whatever. But for some reason, we don't have a bunch of artists busting ass trying to make their own Evangelion or whatever.

It probably also helps that they have a thriving comics scene as well, whereas we worked very hard to nuke ours decades ago. Even now, with the recent popularity of some comics movies, we still generally hate the actual books. (doesn't help that the people that've taken control of those are insufferable douchebags)