Weeb Wars / AnimeGate / #KickVic / #IStandWithVic / #vickicksback - General Discussion Thread

LawTwitter is Dumb

Twitter is dumb, but Law Twitter is far dumber
It's a choice. Maybe not the best, but it fits in the context of the scene and was approved by the original studio in Japan if it made it to the dub. Not my fault the word "patriarchy" makes you feel attacked.
This wasn't approved, none of it gets approved by the studio, you have no idea how any of this actually works. Also aren't you supposed to be going to "work", and it's not feeling attacked, its putting things into works that aren't supposed to be there at all or even in context to the show.

Also that isn't explaining how its correct for a translation or localization, funi approving it means jack shit, as is everything you've said here.

5t3n0g0ph3r

Resident Archivist
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
@DRHaste23 Don't play dumb. You know very well that the reason why the "Gamergate" line in Prison School is poorly received is that it ran in contradiction to Funimation's previous statements of producing an accurate script. Nowhere in the original script is Gamergate even mentioned.

And this isn't the first time Funimation has taken liberties with the translation of the script. It's one thing to translate the script as possible while making adjustments due to lip flaps. It's quite another to deliberately change the script into something that was never intended.

In a way, we've come full circle to "jelly doughnuts." Only this time its not because "dumb kids won't understand different cultural reference."

Seems someone is butthurt that they were called out in an anime as a bad person.

Great to see you call everyone that disagrees with you "lawtwitter". "lawtwitter" is literally random lawyers on Twitter. The fact that they rarely agree on anything but almost all agreed that this case was a steaming pile should have been a sign. Not being a lawyer means not being lawtwitter.~

Not knowing the difference says a lot about the case and it's lack of merit if over 100 lawyers from vastly different backgrounds, ideations, and specialties all agreed on this case. You may say they're always wrong, but they strangely were right about the 0-17.

I'm outie. Gotta work. Have fun with the failed appeals bb <3 You can quote me on that.

Yea, it's safe to say you're kv/lawltwitter with the same parrot talk they all do. You even have the same delusion of thinking you're dunking on everyone here. But I am curious how you believe the Dragon maid one fits the context when it obviously doesn't to many others.

Captain Manning

Good luck, kid.
It's a choice. Maybe not the best, but it fits in the context of the scene and was approved by the original studio in Japan if it made it to the dub. Not my fault the word "patriarchy" makes you feel attacked.
You're gonna have to put forth proof that that was "approved."

98% of the time the Japanese side doesn't GAF about the accuracy of the US localization. They care even less than the fans do. It's a commodity to them. They just sell time limited regional distribution rights. It's a secondary income source from a secondary market.

There are exceptions to this. Famously, Miyazaki. Because he is an artist who actually owns the rights to his own stuff. That is a rarity though.

@Captain Manning was right. Our ebola-ridden Orguss man was right. lmao
I didn't initially advance the theory he's LT. It is theoretically possible though.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
In a way, we've come full circle to "jelly doughnuts." Only this time its not because "dumb kids won't understand different cultural reference."
I want to go back to the time of jelly-filled doughnuts, cousins, the Shadow Realm, and blowing up cargo robots. It was nothing but wholesome family entertainment.

Captain Manning

Good luck, kid.
The fact that they rarely agree on anything but almost all agreed that this case was a steaming pile should have been a sign.
I have no idea what LT you're talking about, but the LT I know is constantly sucking each other off. They share blockchains, FFS.

Case in point, they went off on UL, because he had the audacity to say that he doesn't think the appeal is going anywhere, BUT commented positively on Nick's amicus brief (the horror!).

I think by that point it should be clear that they're not applying a dispassionate legal analysis to anything, but that their criticism is far more personal in nature. UL gave an opinion/prediction that is actually more in line with theirs in terms of the final outcome of the case, but they straight up hate Nick, so UL has to be burned too. They picked a fight with UL for absolutely no logical reason. That's pretty lame.

Scarlett Johansson

Hello, I'm Shelley Duvall
True & Honest Fan
@DRHaste23 Don't play dumb. You know very well that the reason why the "Gamergate" line in Prison School is poorly received is that it ran in contradiction to Funimation's previous statements of producing an accurate script. Nowhere in the original script is Gamergate even mentioned.

And this isn't the first time Funimation has taken liberties with the translation of the script. It's one thing to translate the script as possible while making adjustments due to lip flaps. It's quite another to deliberately change the script into something that was never intended.

Hi please do not involve my chosen people's food thx

AnOminous

shalom motherfucker
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
Is video game journalism even as big in Japan as it is over here?
I doubt they're even aware of Gamergate. Maybe some westaboos are vaguely aware of it. In any event, it doesn't matter. Most of the audience will have no fucking clue what the line is even about. This makes it a shit translation. Not only isn't it accurate, it just doesn't even make any sense now, much less 10 years from now. Jamie Marchi literally just threw it in because she's an obsessed cunt with some weird fetish about it.