Weeb Wars / Animegate / #kickvic / #vickicksback - General Discussion Thread

Foolish Samuari Warrior

A dead waifu.
kiwifarms.net
Yes, I am. Both are iconic characters in video games, and Spiderman is a lot bigger than just Lowenthals performance. As for Ben 10, it was popular for it's time but it doesn't have the cultural significance of Spongebob.
Yuri's Spider-Man literally has gained critical acclaim everywhere. Reuben might be good and iconic, but his performance isn't close to being as well-known.

What does Spongebob have to do with this?

Far Queue

kiwifarms.net
It looks like everyone's favorite unbeknownst-named-party-in-lawsuit-by-defendants-then-turned-affiant-for-the-plaintiff Stan Dahlin is being coy on Twitter again.

crypticdahliniscryptic.png

(archive)

I'd write it off as nothing, but the last time he was being cryptic he completely butt fucked Monica's testimony into oblivion, so I'll cut the man some slack. At least while I look for the popcorn bowl.

Hallstein995

kiwifarms.net
Yuri's Spider-Man literally has gained critical acclaim everywhere. Reuben might be good and iconic, but his performance isn't close to being as well-known.

Spongebob is a culturally significant character in western animation, ben 10 is not. As for Spiderman, the character has had over 20+ VAs with none of them ever being regarded as the definitive portrayal of the character.

Apterigo

Tre verda multmaniere
kiwifarms.net

Yuri's Spider-Man isn't iconic, Spider-man is iconic. Yuri's voice isn't particularly distinct - if I was told someone was voiced by Yuri I might go "oh yeah, I can kinda hear that it's probably him yeah" but it's not something I'd notice just by hearing. I would not count Yuri as a public figure at all, honestly. He would have to be incredibly recognizable above and beyond most voice actors to manage something like that, and usually only if they've also done live-action acting like Tim Curry or Mark Hamill.

Hell, even @Hallstein995 's example of SpongeBob would be closer, since Tom Kenny's voice is really distinct and easily recognizable.

Not even being in a famous thing guarantees public figure. Here's a good example - do you know who played R2D2 in the original Star Wars movies? Do you think you could pick him out in a crowd on the street?

MildlyAmused

kiwifarms.net
R Bruce Elliott (voice of Captain Ginyu and Whitebeard) gave his thoughts on this matter
View attachment 889722

View attachment 889724View attachment 889725
There's good and bad in everyone. So Vic can be a great guy to fans and such but may possibly have done these bad things.
By his own exceptional logic, how come Monica and Jamie can't be his good friends, great gals, wonderful humans....but have done this bad thing by exaggerating their experience with Vic? How the fuck do these people function properly in life with the rules for thee but not me mindset? Like honestly I know it's a fucking thing but it downright blows my mind every. single. time. Your take will be taken with all the consideration it deserves. Idiot.

Loose Handle

kiwifarms.net
You're both wrong and arguing something irrelevant. People don't like when well known VAs are swapped, and by 'well known' I mean 'this is the voice I'm used to'. Sean is the voice of Goku for the English speaking audience and has been for a long time. You're simply wrong when you try to say that Sean isn't. You don't have to like him, but it's still true. You're also wrong about there being zero characters written for non-Japanese seiyuus. Although I'm not certain about Russian etc, there's a couple of stories of characters being written with consideration of certain english voices in western-set anime, like Hellsing.

The whole sub supremacy thing is dumb, anyway. The fact that Japanese culture respects their voice actors marginally more than Western culture doesn't somehow translate into them being better at their jobs or better people. It just means you're a weeb who likes hearing someone screech in Japanese instead of English.
You keep talking about "liking." Why? I don't talk about liking or disliking. I talk about who has influence on the production. I personally don't like Japanese Goku. But, Akira Toriyama does not hear Sean's voice when he writes Goku, no matter how many English speakers do. Thus, Sean is not and never will be Goku. My personal opinion has nothing to do with that. Neither does yours.

You talk about being better at their jobs, yet I went out of my way to say that it doesn't matter how good they perform. Makes me think you just skipped right to sperging instead of reading.

And I'm going to need a serious source that shows that Alucard was written with Crispin Freeman in mind.

Foolish Samuari Warrior

A dead waifu.
kiwifarms.net
Yuri's Spider-Man isn't iconic, Spider-man is iconic. Yuri's voice isn't particularly distinct - if I was told someone was voiced by Yuri I might go "oh yeah, I can kinda hear that it's probably him yeah" but it's not something I'd notice just by hearing. I would not count Yuri as a public figure at all, honestly. He would have to be incredibly recognizable above and beyond most voice actors to manage something like that, and usually only if they've also done live-action acting like Tim Curry or Mark Hamill.

Hell, even @Hallstein995 's example of SpongeBob would be closer, since Tom Kenny's voice is really distinct and easily recognizable.

Not even being in a famous thing guarantees public figure. Here's a good example - do you know who played R2D2 in the original Star Wars movies? Do you think you could pick him out in a crowd on the street?
I couldn't, because he's dead.

Anyway, fine whatever. I give up.

Apterigo

Tre verda multmaniere
kiwifarms.net
I couldn't, because he's dead.

Anyway, fine whatever. I give up.
I legit didn't know he was dead. I'm not sure whether that proves my point about people not knowing shit about him, or if it just proves that I'm exceptional. Probably both.

My argument is that 95% of all voice actors (film, anime, video game, etc.) are likely not public figures.

Monkey Prick

Former Ronnie.
kiwifarms.net
R Bruce Elliott (voice of Captain Ginyu and Whitebeard) gave his thoughts on this matter
View attachment 889722

"hurr good and bad traits are not mutually exclusive to a person, but I believe these 2 women wouldn't lie because they're good people".

What an absolute fucking brainlet, glad I'd never heard of his bum ass before this. I'm sure they'll hold a candlelight vigil for him when he dies from being so fucking dumb.

Syaoran Li

Totally Radical Dude
kiwifarms.net
I think you're both a little to liberal with who you think is a public figure. Most people don't know who lowenthal or Blum are. The only anime VA to get that far is Troy Baker, and that didn't happen until Bioshock infinite.

Yuri Lowenthal, Troy Baker, Steve Blum, and Mona Marshall are all anime VA's who have come closest to any kind of actual mainstream popularity.

Troy Baker had Bioshock Infinite, obviously

Steve Blum is in a LOT of voice acting roles, both in anime and western animation. He voiced the main lead in Cowboy Bebop and is the voice of TOM from Toonami. Plus he's got a very long resume of roles both major and minor, similar to Billy West or Frank Welker.

Yuri Lowenthal's most iconic role is Sasuke Uchiha, and he's also gained some recognition outside of anime for his roles in Fallout: New Vegas and Spider-Man. I wouldn't quite say he's at mainstream status yet, but he's got potential.

Mona Marshall is known for her very distinctive voice and oddly enough, she probably is most well-known in the mainstream public for her work on Digimon, one of the earliest anime shows to truly break into the mainstream during the Pokemon fad of the late 1990's and early 2000's. She also is sort of known for being one of the few regulars on South Park not named Trey Parker or Matt Stone.

Then again, very few voice actors are truly popular in the mainstream and they mostly work in western animation, think along the lines of Hank Azaria, Tara Strong, Billy West, Tom Kenny, Frank Welker, and Nancy Cartwright.

TJ-Weber

Then you give him the Forest Whitaker eye!
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 889722

The doublethink and hypocrisy is strong with this one. R. Bruce Elliot here needs to reevaluate his positions, and actually
see the evidence. We're WAY past the believe woman stage my man, we're in the court affidavit stage buddy, this isn't
February 2019 anymore.

Also, I think I know what the R. in his name stands for too..it's not robert..

Duke-Diggler

kiwifarms.net

RodgerDodger

kiwifarms.net
DMC fans would absolutely boycott if Langdon didn't return as Dante.
Hell I avoided getting the PC version of Tales of Symphonia because they changed the voices.
Gamers are petty babies who don't like change and get attached to things quickly. I can't say much about anime but people take VAs in games pretty seriously.
/sigh, No! I'm sorry but Gamers have an overinflated sense of how other Gamers will react to various "unpardonable sins" committed by the gaming publishers. Nobody cares who is voicing Dante save a very very small percentage of vocal but fiscally meaningless devout fans. Trust me this is core to EA and Activisions Business Models. If gamers actually gave a shit about such details and took it out on the publishers via their wallets things would change. But they don't. Because Gamers are fucking lemmings.

Actually thats not quite true. Gamers will punish publishers and studios when they make a shitty game, or in some way treat a broad swath of gamers badly. But picky little details like VA's? There isn't a measurable percentage of gamers that even give a shit about the Voice Acting in the games. Do you remember when the VA's went on strike from video games in order to demand a percentage of the gross and residuals. Not just the publishers but even the gamers pretty effectively told them to fuck off. Because Voice Acting in Videos Games is NOT a core to the product. It is at best a Value Add. Something that can help elevate an already good experience, but really brings nothing to the bottom line regarding the game. For anything save the most immersive story based games I would daresay the vast majority of gamers ignore if not outright mute the Voice Acting. "Press B to skip Cutscene". DMC is quite possibly the worst example to use as an example of Gamers giving a shit about such petty details as the characters VA. They bloody changed everything about the character, the Gamers hated it and complained endlessly. They still bought the fucking thing. There is not one single Voice Actor in Video Gaming who's replacement would cost more than a handful of sales. They are just THAT Irrelevant to the product.

And even if an actors voice is iconic as the voice of that character. It does not mean irreplaceable. The best example of this is perhaps the all time greatest English Language VA. Mel Blanc. We all know that vest hordes of characters he voiced over the years. He was the voice of Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck. All of the Loony Toons. Elmer Fudd and Porky Pig. All of them. But the characters did not fade when Mel passed away. The roles were recast and people grew used to them. Do you have any idea how many voices Charlie Brown and Lucy have had? Of the modern American Voice actors for well known American animation there are a few that truly stand out, such as Kevin Conroy's Batman or Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime. These are the truly best! The defining voices for the characters. Impossible to replace! But they both were, to minimal fan comment and no real impact on overall sales or profit of the given product. Unlike live performances be it stage,movie or tv, animation Voice Actors are not the core product that the public is coming to see. They are coming to see the cartoons. The voices are just in service to the animation. Yes the product is improved by certain standards of quality in the Voice Acting. But nobody is going to watch that animated offering because of any VA. (or rather a very very small number of extreme autists who are not significant enough to impact sales in most cases.) People go to Toy Story Movies to see Woody and Buzz, not Tom Hanks and Tim Allen. In animation the actor is a minimal element of the characters presentation whereas in live action they are the entirety of it.

I'm pretty sure most people could and would pretty easily pick Kenny Baker out in a crowd. Even without knowing for sure he was R2D2. He kind of stands out... or rather the opposite of "stands" out. He'd probably stand out even more in a crowd these days, given that he's dead. I mean you don't see many of those 1/3 scale zombies roaming around.

Last edited:

FailedStudentOfTheKarmaSu

FailedStudentOfTheKarmaSutra
kiwifarms.net
This is such a shitty filler ark. It's like the first twenty episodes were written by Gen Urobuchi or Dai Sato, but they had one of those "health breaks" that the Japanese love so much and it was taken over by Sho Aikawa. He's such a hack. Every time he takes over a project he just covers old ground worse than it was originally covered, and anything he does ad has no value.

The TCPA ruling can't happen fast enough

Tags
weebs

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino