Weekly WWE RAW Discussion Thread? -

DiscipleOfTheLie

Herb. Syrup. Pills
I'm wondering if we can move some pro wrestling discussion to Hulkamania? I mean, come on. It's named after the phenomenon created by the Hulkster himself.

If so, I propose weekly RAW discussion threads. I just want to know if this is something that can go here.

cypocraphy

Deader than the parents on "Party Of Five"
True & Honest Fan
I haven't watched Wrestling since around 2005. I only know a few things here and there about what's going on right now. :stupid:

brooklynbailiff

Connoisseur of Crippling Autism
Retired Staff

brooklynbailiff

Retired Staff
DiscipleOfTheLie said:
There are certain parts in those vingettes that look so out of place.

What specifically?

bungholio said:
Are those like the Waylon Mercy vignettes?

Similar but much better IMO. Waylon Mercy, obviously, is a big influence on this current character but Dan Spivey never looked quite right I thought. Especially that symbol on his forehead written with a Bic. A Max Cady-esque character is a great idea though so props to Rotunda for coming up with it and being given a chance to run with the ball after developing it. It's one of the few things keeping my interest in the product at the moment.

[youtube]ddVojXENDDA[/youtube]

DiscipleOfTheLie

Herb. Syrup. Pills
brooklynbailiff said:
DiscipleOfTheLie said:
There are certain parts in those vingettes that look so out of place.

What specifically?

Some parts where he is talking, the way the camera is shooting is different. Like one second it looks like your typical vignette, and when he the camera is on him it looks like a backstage interview that happens to take place in the woods.

CatParty

Boo
True & Honest Fan
i love the bray wyatt character. waylon mercy was one of my favorites growing up. and this is a similar but (if you ask me) more complex character. especially when you add the cult leader elements stuff.
i think the vignettes are shot that way to feel off. to make the viewer feel like something is wrong or even unnerving.
but honestly can't wait for him.
another good one down in nxt is (and i usually think divas are the drizzling shits but this one is hilarious):

[youtube]vtY1ERVpLc0[/youtube]

also i'm kinda bummed i won't make the raw at the barclays. (:_(

cypocraphy

True & Honest Fan
Yeah, he was a great character. They should have never turned him babyface.

CatParty

Boo
True & Honest Fan
Just imagine how much money they'd have made if heel Doink was around when "The Dark Knight" came out.

brooklynbailiff

Retired Staff
DiscipleOfTheLie said:
Some parts where he is talking, the way the camera is shooting is different. Like one second it looks like your typical vignette, and when he the camera is on him it looks like a backstage interview that happens to take place in the woods.

But the way it's filmed is reflective of the character's mindset and it's designed to evoke a certain reaction from the viewer. Besides the obvious cult leader/head of the family angle there's the implication that these backwoods folk are up to some sinister things like the Leatherface character and his "family" or just groups of oddball "families" in other horror movies. There is that brief glimpse of Bray when he's wearing one of those leather aprons (he wears one to the ring too) like Leatherface and they do say something like, "don't send anyone to us you want back" in one of the vignettes so that's what the vignettes make me think of anyway.

I dig the way the promos are shot and as I said before it's one of the only things keeping my interest at the moment. Aside from Punk/Brock/Heyman and the Shield.

Plus that rocking chair is a great touch.

CatParty said:
i love the bray wyatt character. waylon mercy was one of my favorites growing up. and this is a similar but (if you ask me) more complex character. especially when you add the cult leader elements stuff.
i think the vignettes are shot that way to feel off. to make the viewer feel like something is wrong or even unnerving.
but honestly can't wait for him.

Agreed and hopefully they make their TV debut before MITB but I'm thinking it might be at MITB. A feud with the Shield is constantly brought up wherever I go and people are discussing the Wyatt Family and I like the sound of that I must say. Just not right off the bat.

CatParty said:
another good one down in nxt is (and i usually think divas are the drizzling shits but this one is hilarious):

[youtube]vtY1ERVpLc0[/youtube]

I get no entertainment out of the diva's but Sara Del Ray is training the women now so perhaps that could change in the future as they bring people like Emma up to the main shows.

CatParty said:
also i'm kinda bummed i won't make the raw at the barclays. (:_(

That sucks. I'll be there with the usual group of wrestling buddies I hang out and attend shows with. I'm not a big fan of the Barclay's after going there for the TLC pay per view last December but, whatever, it's an easy commute for me and it's Raw afterall.

bungholio said:
The first Doink The Clown, Matt Osborne, died today.

His shoot with Jim Duggan at some indy show (here in New York I believe) a few years ago is priceless.
[youtube]htKY4q6rjzw[/youtube]

There's a longer version on YouTube but it has some obnoxious play-by-play over the footage.

Apparently it's being investigated as a homicide now according to an article I read earlier today.

DiscipleOfTheLie

Herb. Syrup. Pills
HandBanana said:
bungholio said:
The first Doink The Clown, Matt Osborne, died today.

Has a cause of death been revealed yet or speculated over? Or is it still being ruled as "accidental"?

I thought I saw somewhere that the police have launched a murder investigation. Can someone confirm this?

brooklynbailiff

Retired Staff
HandBanana said:
Has a cause of death been revealed yet or speculated over? Or is it still being ruled as "accidental"?

brooklynbailiff said:
Apparently it's being investigated as a homicide now according to an article I read earlier today.

DiscipleOfTheLie said:
I thought I saw somewhere that the police have launched a murder investigation. Can someone confirm this?

http://www.webpronews.com/doink-the-clown-dead-cause-unknown-2013-06

http://nesn.com/2013/06/doink-the-clown-of-wwe-fame-found-dead-in-plano-texas-at-age-55/

http://www.tmz.com/2013/06/28/doink-the-clown-wwe-wrestler-matt-osborne/

I would assume it's probably nothing but procedure at this point though.

DiscipleOfTheLie

Herb. Syrup. Pills
brooklynbailiff said:
I would assume it's probably nothing but procedure at this point though.

It really sucks to see a wrestler go. I am waaaaaay to young to remember watching Doink's antics on WWF TV, but I'm sure it was rather fun. From what I've seen of Matt Bourne's portrayal as the character, that's what it was about: Fun.

brooklynbailiff

Retired Staff
DiscipleOfTheLie said:
It really sucks to see a wrestler go. I am waaaaaay to young to remember watching Doink's antics on WWF TV, but I'm sure it was rather fun. From what I've seen of Matt Bourne's portrayal as the character, that's what it was about: Fun.

That's what it's all about and looking back Doink was a pretty good character (I hated him at the time) and I love how the character itself transcended Matt Bourne portraying him to the point of it being a staple of the pro wrestling game.

I agree though, it's sad. Although I like to think we're past the point where guys and girls are dropping dead left and right as we get farther away from the 80's and early-to-mid 90's crowd and people who were in their prime then paying the price for living the life as it was during that era. Scott Hall has been doing well and even Jake Roberts despite his recent relapse.

Also, your signature. :lol:

cypocraphy

True & Honest Fan
DDP is awesome for what he's doing to help Jake Roberts. If you want to talk about someone ahead of their time, Jake is a great example:

[youtube]imTkBe9BJwM[/youtube]

My all time favorite wrestler. (sorry, Hulkster!) :hulk: