Weight loss support thread -

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

TiltdownDove

kiwifarms.net
I tried to start losing weight last year, and succeeded, losing 20 pounds just by counting calories and keeping a hard limit of my intake around (2000 cals a day) but i totally quit once October started and am only now getting around to considering it again. Anyone have advice for getting back into the swing of things?
This advice kinda goes to everyone interested-

Take you height, find what your ideal weight is, and look up the basal metabolic kcal intake you need

For example, I'm 5'7, M; I should be 150 lbs. When I started losing weight, it was in March'19, and I was a sad 260 lbs. I started counting my calories and would stop at 1,500 a day. I didn't change what I ate, only how much, and by the start of August I was down to 215.

It'd be dishonest for me not to mention this, but I acquired an Adderall prescription at the start of October, and at that time I weighed 210. Now in Feb 2020 I'm about 185-190.

A pound of fat is 3,500 kcal, so whatever your deficit is, you should be keeping that in mind when you see your progress slow down. Even when you're eating at a huge deficit like I am, I'm still losing less than a pound a week. It doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong, everything is working correctly, it will just take time, or you need to work-out more.

Dr. Geronimo

Echo chambers are bad for your health.
kiwifarms.net
Man so I've lost a good amount of weight over the past year, but now I'm at a point where I gotta get serious about the workout game.

My problem though is I'm a goofy fuck with 0 form and I feel like I'm doing more harm than good doing every workout. I tried going the wii fit route but my feet are too big for this board designed with gooks in mind.

Are there any alternatives to having a 'personal' workout outside of actually having a trainer?

• Feels
Reactions: Shoggoth

Anonymus Fluhre

No man fears what he has seen grow
kiwifarms.net
Been losing my "winter weight" pretty quickly this year. Should be down to 210lbs by the end of February and down to 190-200lbs by the end of April if I'm lucky.
Are there any alternatives to having a 'personal' workout outside of actually having a trainer?
You could check into workout apps that are out there. I haven't tried them myself though. I had to hire a personal trainer to help me out due to all of the various injuries I've sustained over the years and didn't want to hurt myself further.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Okay, I can't break 210 lbs. With my low carb diet I've been staying around 100-150 carbs per day with 1 cheat day per week. This doesn't seem to be working so I'm going to try 50 carbs a day and only a cheat meal per week. And buy myself an accurate scale tomorrow.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I bought another scale and it shows my weight as 186. The older one I have shows it as 202 ATM. I lost the instructions for the other one but I don't think the new one can be calibrated.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Update: so far I lost 3-4 lbs. Difficult to determine exactly because of my scale(s). So far 50 carbs a day is working and it's been extremely difficult because we've had back to back potlucks at work.

• Horrifying
Reactions: Mr. 0

the sister fister

BRING ME THE GYPSY GIRL
kiwifarms.net
I'm really happy, I've cut out sugar basically 90% to the point where I can't stand the taste. I have a long way to go but I don't feel any sort of temptation when it comes to sugary foods. It's good because I work with a lot of women who bring in baked goods and overtly sweet things. My only vice is diet soda, I have to drink it every day after with a meal (:_( not only that, but when I eat dinner, it's always a big thicc portion, usually a lot of veggies with a side of meat.

How do you guys get into the mental habit of cutting your portions in half? I'm a giant sucker when it comes to big hearty meals. Do you guys think getting little plates or something would be a good way to trick the brain?

Mrs Paul

Yinzer Kiwi
kiwifarms.net
Well, I went to the doctors, today and it's Come to Jesus time: I gotta lose at LEAST 30 pounds. I can't keep going like I have been. I'm 53 and I'm 174! (eek!) I guess I've just been in denial, but he pointed out if I keep this up, I'm going to have a REALLY serious problem in a few years.

Soooooo...my main problem I think is: skipping lunch (so I get really hungry later) and snacking out of boredom. It's like, "there's nothing on TV...oh, there's cheetos!" :(

• Feels
Reactions: Nina Hagen

Pizza Time

kiwifarms.net
I'm really happy, I've cut out sugar basically 90% to the point where I can't stand the taste. I have a long way to go but I don't feel any sort of temptation when it comes to sugary foods. It's good because I work with a lot of women who bring in baked goods and overtly sweet things. My only vice is diet soda, I have to drink it every day after with a meal (:_( not only that, but when I eat dinner, it's always a big thicc portion, usually a lot of veggies with a side of meat.

How do you guys get into the mental habit of cutting your portions in half? I'm a giant sucker when it comes to big hearty meals. Do you guys think getting little plates or something would be a good way to trick the brain?
Small plates are actually really good for tricking yourself into thinking you have a lot of food when you don't. It's something that I've seen recommended.

Midlife Sperglord

Sperging over console gaming.
kiwifarms.net
Well, I bit the bullet and decided to set a boundary for myself. No television, vidya or recreational PC time until I spend some time at the gym that day. It is easy for me to lose weight and keep weight off during the summer and autumn, since I walk everywhere those times of the year including to and from work (which is eight miles away from where I live). But I hate walking in the rain, and I still tend to eat like I am walking everywhere when I really should not be doing that. Going to the gym and jogging around an indoor track for an hour is not quite the same, but it is better than nothing.

Angel Dust

Nobody wants to admit they ate 9 cans of ravioli
kiwifarms.net
I've lost about 30lbs so far and am finally out of the 200s, currently floating around 190. I'm running into an issue where since I've been loosing, my mom and sister have been incredibly hostile towards me, which I don't understand since they're both way skinnier than I ever have been.

Dubu Kimchi

kiwifarms.net
I've lost about 30lbs so far and am finally out of the 200s, currently floating around 190. I'm running into an issue where since I've been loosing, my mom and sister have been incredibly hostile towards me, which I don't understand since they're both way skinnier than I ever have been.
Can I ask how they are hostile? I am remembering back when I went down from around 300 lbs to about 260 my coworkers started making fat jokes. Which affected me more than I expected, they didn't make those jokes when I was at my fattest, just starting when I had considerable progress.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Unog and Mr. 0

Richard Harrow

kiwifarms.net

A good way to cut portions is simply to remove a meal (breakfast or dinner). Intermittent fasting and keto helped me drop about 50 lbs over 2 years. If you're worried about portions just eat 2 standard meals and you'll be surprised by how much unnecessary food you cut.

Reactions: the sister fister

Angel Dust

Nobody wants to admit they ate 9 cans of ravioli
kiwifarms.net
Can I ask how they are hostile? I am remembering back when I went down from around 300 lbs to about 260 my coworkers started making fat jokes. Which affected me more than I expected, they didn't make those jokes when I was at my fattest, just starting when I had considerable progress.
It's little things. Like lashing out more, snapping more, less patience, etc. Constant remarks on what I'm eating like "oh is that all you're eating? You should have more", like they're trying to sabotage me. My mom had a full on freak out on me last week for "only" eating a bowl of soup for dinner and a couple rolls. (She doesn't say boo about what my other siblings eat, just me) my older sister makes comments jokes like "oh have you lost weight? I can't really tell" and stuff like that. Just generally being assholes and excluding me alot. I don't live at home so it doesn't affect me as much as it could. Meanwhile, my younger sister has been incredibly supportive and encouraging. She helps me find healthier options for bad foods, compliments my weight loss and also gave up sugar and fast food with me. She's the skinniest one out of all us, barely weighing 120. So I don't have. It's just been kinda bothering me.

Tags
None