Weight loss support thread -

Slowboat to China

Level 6 Hairy Hands Syndrome
kiwifarms.net
Glad to see this thread here! Reading it is inspiring. :)

Been yo-yo dieting for years. My usual pattern is that I go into something too hard and then burn out too fast. (No meat, no sugar, 1200 calories a day? Brilliant! Can't imagine why THAT failed.) I've been having a little success lately with taking things slower and simpler: eating less than 1800 calories a day (an off-the-cuff calculation, based on me being a ginormous Slav peasant type) and focusing on home-cooked protein. For exercise, I'm walking a few miles three times a week, plus some free weights. I haven't seen much movement on the scale, but each time I go I do a little better and can walk a little bit further.

Plus, it's a great way to burn off some rage. Whenever the news pisses me off too much, I go sweat it out.

Viscera

kiwifarms.net
Did a weight recently, 239 pounds, feels super shitty since I did keto for a month and a half and lost (maybe) 20 pounds, relapsed on my diet, and gained all that shit back. Feels bad but it motivates me to go back on keto and stick with it as a lifestyle.

SickNastyBastard

The Alpha Troon: Order 66 Pisstroopers
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Glad to see this thread here! Reading it is inspiring. :)

Been yo-yo dieting for years. My usual pattern is that I go into something too hard and then burn out too fast. (No meat, no sugar, 1200 calories a day? Brilliant! Can't imagine why THAT failed.) I've been having a little success lately with taking things slower and simpler: eating less than 1800 calories a day (an off-the-cuff calculation, based on me being a ginormous Slav peasant type) and focusing on home-cooked protein. For exercise, I'm walking a few miles three times a week, plus some free weights. I haven't seen much movement on the scale, but each time I go I do a little better and can walk a little bit further.

Plus, it's a great way to burn off some rage. Whenever the news pisses me off too much, I go sweat it out.
You most likely have body composition changes you arent noticing. Scale weight isnt the sole indicator. And make sure you weigh same time every time you weight in. Ive had 10lb fluctuations of weight in a day before. Adopting a low carb, high fat diet helps as well at trains your body to utilize fat better. And movent on your scale should be measured in weeks, so 2lb a week may not look like anything if you weigh in daily.

One last things, if youre looking to get the full benefits of weights, have your walk after. I dont remember the science, but the body either works on improving cardiovascular health our muscle strength, and youd have to wait hours between each.

Keep it up man, the scale is a number. Your attitude is what matters. Its a marathon, not a sprint.

SickNastyBastard

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Did a weight recently, 239 pounds, feels super shitty since I did keto for a month and a half and lost (maybe) 20 pounds, relapsed on my diet, and gained all that shit back. Feels bad but it motivates me to go back on keto and stick with it as a lifestyle.
ive lost 60 on "keto" so far going from a powerlifter to now trying to be aesthetic. I dont see a strict keto diet good in the long term. Low carb diets will give you good results too. Keep giving it a go, the only failure is quitting. Good motivation you have.

If you havent, i recommend walking in the morning before you eat and weights at night. But ive found weights to be a better option if you have to pick one because definition changes and seeing yourself get better lifts is pretty motivating.

Slowboat to China

Level 6 Hairy Hands Syndrome
kiwifarms.net
You most likely have body composition changes you arent noticing. Scale weight isnt the sole indicator. And make sure you weigh same time every time you weight in. Ive had 10lb fluctuations of weight in a day before. Adopting a low carb, high fat diet helps as well at trains your body to utilize fat better. And movent on your scale should be measured in weeks, so 2lb a week may not look like anything if you weigh in daily.

One last things, if youre looking to get the full benefits of weights, have your walk after. I dont remember the science, but the body either works on improving cardiovascular health our muscle strength, and youd have to wait hours between each.

Keep it up man, the scale is a number. Your attitude is what matters. Its a marathon, not a sprint.
Thank you for the advice. :) "A marathon, not a sprint" is an attitude I've been working on. I have noticed that focusing on protein and fiber has helped me feel fuller longer. I haven't cut out carbs or sugars completely (doing that was usually a quick road to failure in my previous attempts), but cutting down on them has helped me control my appetite and blood sugar better.

Trying to ignore the scale overall, tbh. It's way too easy for me to obsess over it and weigh myself five times a day.

SickNastyBastard

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Thank you for the advice. :) "A marathon, not a sprint" is an attitude I've been working on. I have noticed that focusing on protein and fiber has helped me feel fuller longer. I haven't cut out carbs or sugars completely (doing that was usually a quick road to failure in my previous attempts), but cutting down on them has helped me control my appetite and blood sugar better.

Trying to ignore the scale overall, tbh. It's way too easy for me to obsess over it and weigh myself five times a day.
Its a marathon, and marathons start.
Get your TDEE here and have that be your calorie limit, make sure to reduce as you go down, Aim 50 net carbs per day, and that will be hard at first because everything has carbs almost. Be cautious with protein, excess protein is basically carbs in that they both to to sugar. It is extremely important to meal plan your day and count every calorie, especially snacks. I'm a snacky bitch bro, it was hard and I was salty about giving up my gummy bears. Thats a great start if you don't have some condition that would stop you from doing it.
Try a 5 day exercise routine. A 5 day lift routine does wonders for guys, did great for me. Like Legs/Back/Pecs/Shoulders/Arms, then like 20 mins of walking. Once you see some muscle come through, bro, you'll know that feeling.
Take a couple multivitamins, and that's it
Its also a marathon because it takes a long time and a steady pace.
I take it daily, stick to my meal plan and dont be a candy ass about getting the work in. When I have a bad day, take it in and make sure I do better tomorrow
Lastly stop weighing yourself so much, its not even a good marker of progress for you to go by atm.
Remember the only true failure is quitting, especially quitting on yourself.

I don't know what equipment you have, or have access to, but I'd be more than happy to write up a template routine if you want one with what equipment you have.

I got on my soapbox, but that's the honest mindset me and everyone I train with has.
I put my picture up to show you I'm not full of shit. Health is srs business bro.

mefordude.jpg

Dave Meltzer

kiwifarms.net
I had this same problem. I dropped 40 lbs last year to get to my ideal weight but got hammered by depression issues in the winter and gained all 40 back. I managed to get 15 down again in the last couple of months. This year though I'm doing way more weight training and less cardio so my weight isn't dropping as rapidly. In fact I've been stuck at 205 for a while now despite my fat still decreasing.

I went in the opposite direction as far as diet last year and this year as you. Last year it was 55% carbs, 40% protein, 5% fat. This year you can probably just swap the protein and carbs percentages around. I stick to low glucose carbs like brown rice. That or garbanzo beans or black beans. Pasta is the only thing I eat with high glucose. Even that you can find whole grain now. I don't eat that often though since I just don't get tired of eating chicken breasts.

I tried experimenting with a low carb diet. First 10 mile walk I tried I felt like I was going to die at the 5 mile mark. It wasn't even like a gradual loss if energy. I went from feeling great to feeling like I had just run into a wall instantly. At that point I went back to the slow burning carbs which can fuel a 15 mile walk no problem. Maybe if I had eaten more fat before heading out I would have felt stronger but I don't even like eating fat all that much. Just not the right diet for me.

Angel Dust

Insidious Bitch Snake
kiwifarms.net
My gym has closed indefinitely due to corona and it's 100+ in my neck of the woods so outside activity is a no go. Overall my weight loss has slowed down from earlier this year but I'm still consistently going down, watching what I eat and doing home exercises. I still have a ways to go until goal weight BUT! Tonight I put on a pair of pj shorts in a size M for the first time in probably the majority of my life

Fascist Ferret

reporting for duty
kiwifarms.net
I not really trying to lose weight, I'm not overweight; just a bit of that skinny fat. Any good advice for this particular body type?
My friend used to be like that and he said working out regularly helped a lot, like jogging and pushups. It sounds like you need to Build up your muscle for toning.

Well, what's been your workout routine, what sorts of food are you eating and in what quantities, what's your weight and what's your target? There's a lot of things that could be 'going wrong' because if you're doing everything that you should be doing, you shouldn't be gaining or maintaining an excess amount of weight.
How true is it that your body adjusts to the calories you eat? I guess I'm annoyed because online there are these calorie calculators, "if you eat this much compared to the maintenance calories, you'll lose this much weight", but then I'm not quite losing as quickly as those sites say I should. I dunno 😰

It's HK-47

Meatbag's Bounty of Bodies
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How true is it that your body adjusts to the calories you eat? I guess I'm annoyed because online there are these calorie calculators, "if you eat this much compared to the maintenance calories, you'll lose this much weight", but then I'm not quite losing as quickly as those sites say I should. I dunno
Those sorts of calculators should always be taken with heaps of salt because there's just no way to account for all of the potential variables between Person A and Person B. In a sense it is true that your body "adjusts" to the calories that you eat, but only in the sense that once you've shed a certain amount of weight that you acquired from over-eating, dropping lower than that isn't going to be possible again unless you drop out even more calories, or start burning more calories through exercise.

The common misconception is that the body just "adjusts" to the food you're eating and it's suddenly become this magical machine that decided that food X is now fattening when it's the same food you've been eating to lose weight this whole time, when in actuality you were 40lbs overweight because you were eating too much, so you stopped eating as much and you dropped 20lbs. However, you're still either eating too much or not exercising enough, and the combination of the two is enough to maintain that extra 20lbs.

The body didn't decide to just stop dropping fat, the body's just being fed what it requires to maintain that new level, and the lower you go, the more strict the 'rules' get. Going from 300lbs to 200lbs can happen in the blink of an eye. 200 to 190 will take a decent bit longer. 190 to 180 will take almost as long as the two combined, etc. The lower that you get your body fat percentage, the harder it is to keep yourself down there. There's a reason that competitive bodybuilders don't maintain that 1%-3% body fat all year: It's a pain in the ass.

ec2d70f0aab9cf020389b25f2dc5d4a0.png

SickNastyBastard

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I had this same problem. I dropped 40 lbs last year to get to my ideal weight but got hammered by depression issues in the winter and gained all 40 back. I managed to get 15 down again in the last couple of months. This year though I'm doing way more weight training and less cardio so my weight isn't dropping as rapidly. In fact I've been stuck at 205 for a while now despite my fat still decreasing.

I went in the opposite direction as far as diet last year and this year as you. Last year it was 55% carbs, 40% protein, 5% fat. This year you can probably just swap the protein and carbs percentages around. I stick to low glucose carbs like brown rice. That or garbanzo beans or black beans. Pasta is the only thing I eat with high glucose. Even that you can find whole grain now. I don't eat that often though since I just don't get tired of eating chicken breasts.

I tried experimenting with a low carb diet. First 10 mile walk I tried I felt like I was going to die at the 5 mile mark. It wasn't even like a gradual loss if energy. I went from feeling great to feeling like I had just run into a wall instantly. At that point I went back to the slow burning carbs which can fuel a 15 mile walk no problem. Maybe if I had eaten more fat before heading out I would have felt stronger but I don't even like eating fat all that much. Just not the right diet for me.
The start of a low carb diet will have this effect. Starting out your body isn't able to utilize fat as energy efficiently. After a few months on a low-carb/keto diet, your body will more efficiently be able to use fat as energy instead of glycogen stores (i think thats what they are called). I wish I could find the video about this, I'll update it if I can find it.

I not really trying to lose weight, I'm not overweight; just a bit of that skinny fat. Any good advice for this particular body type?
What is your goal exactly? If you're trying to lose bf% you will have to lose weight. To be tone, I recommend weight lifting. If you just want to be skinny, then just start running.

• Agree
Reactions: Fascist Ferret

Megaroad 2012

FUCK IT UP, PIGFACE!
kiwifarms.net
For some reason gain and lose extreme amounts of weight, currently on a loss streak of over 60 pounds and weighing in at 150 at a lean muscular 6'00'', but will probably gain it back by the winter time and repeat until my body gives out.

Only currently losing weight because I've changed my diet from a soda and candy to two packs of cigarettes so I've just replaced these calories with cancer.

207 lbs this morning. Slowly getting there. Got so fucking insanely hungry I ordered 3 baconators wrapped in lettuce.
C'mon man, don't cave in! At least just eat one baconator.

Reactions: SickNastyBastard

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
For some reason gain and lose extreme amounts of weight, currently on a loss streak of over 60 pounds and weighing in at 150 at a lean muscular 6'00'', but will probably gain it back by the winter time and repeat until my body gives out.

Only currently losing weight because I've changed my diet from a soda and candy to two packs of cigarettes so I've just replaced these calories with cancer.

C'mon man, don't cave in! At least just eat one baconator.
I'm on a low carb diet. And I only ate 2 and a half of them.

SickNastyBastard

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Those sorts of calculators should always be taken with heaps of salt because there's just no way to account for all of the potential variables between Person A and Person B. In a sense it is true that your body "adjusts" to the calories that you eat, but only in the sense that once you've shed a certain amount of weight that you acquired from over-eating, dropping lower than that isn't going to be possible again unless you drop out even more calories, or start burning more calories through exercise.

The common misconception is that the body just "adjusts" to the food you're eating and it's suddenly become this magical machine that decided that food X is now fattening when it's the same food you've been eating to lose weight this whole time, when in actuality you were 40lbs overweight because you were eating too much, so you stopped eating as much and you dropped 20lbs. However, you're still either eating too much or not exercising enough, and the combination of the two is enough to maintain that extra 20lbs.

The body didn't decide to just stop dropping fat, the body's just being fed what it requires to maintain that new level, and the lower you go, the more strict the 'rules' get. Going from 300lbs to 200lbs can happen in the blink of an eye. 200 to 190 will take a decent bit longer. 190 to 180 will take almost as long as the two combined, etc. The lower that you get your body fat percentage, the harder it is to keep yourself down there. There's a reason that competitive bodybuilders don't maintain that 1%-3% body fat all year: It's a pain in the ass.

View attachment 1411491
I'm shooting for 6% rn. I gotta weigh all my food out.
Your body can adjust to what you eat. Should check out this study of low carb athletes, they oxidize fat at a far greater rate than high carb endurance athlete.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What is your take on net carbs? I know better and haven't indulged in the cookies or any BS but I'm curious what fellow Kiwi's think. Right now, I've been subsisting on Atkins products. Mostly the frozen foods and eating roasted chickens. So far so good.

Tags
None