Weightlifting for Kiwis - Discussion and support regarding the art of swole

CrackPipeCowboy

"Like a Rhinestone Cowboy"
thanks. I've admittedly been a bit overwhelmed with info and still feel like I may not be doing everting right. I just want to not feel like shit all the time (:_(
Btw should i take creatine every day or just the days i work out?
Forgot this post.

As long as you keep consistency and discipline, then your motivation and energy will skyrocket. Creatine is GREAT for muscle growth, just make sure to drink more water when supplementing it. 5g per day is good for the average person. You can take it everyday if you want, but it's not necessary. You will see better results if you do though.

Hit your caloric goals (main-gaining, bulking, cutting), eat enough protein, and make sure you don't fall for stupid phad diets. Balance your meals and be patient for results!

s0mbra

*gasps in spanish*
True & Honest Fan
Forgot this post.

As long as you keep consistency and discipline, then your motivation and energy will skyrocket. Creatine is GREAT for muscle growth, just make sure to drink more water when supplementing it. 5g per day is good for the average person. You can take it everyday if you want, but it's not necessary. You will see better results if you do though.

Hit your caloric goals (main-gaining, bulking, cutting), eat enough protein, and make sure you don't fall for stupid phad diets. Balance your meals and be patient for results!
Thank you fren.
I know if I just get into a routine it will be easier. Even on days I genuinely don't want to go on a walk, I still get antsy if I don't go. Hopefully I'll get to that point with this too.

Tathagata

He who has thus come/gone
Also, DO NOT FOCUS ON MAXES TOO MUCH! If you get back pain when going higher in weights, then consider keeping the weight lower and making sure you have proper form. This can be something that DAMAGES your body. You want to get good reps for your workouts. Getting solid reps with good form > maxing out every workout. It is much more difficult to rep lighter weights for 12 reps and/or to failure than bumping out a one rep max.
Oh I've been very careful to not increase weight too much, even though I can probably get out 20 reps in a horizontal dumbbell press set at my current weight. I've been lifting consistently for about two months now, taking protein, BCAAs, creatine, and citrulline malate every day. But I'm still playing around a little and experimenting with my routine. I'm trying to play it safe and get form down, so I'm only going up about 3-4 pounds per week.

I'm not pyramiding sets or anything at the moment—my thoughts were that I want to make sure I've got a consistent workout flow going for a few months before playing around too much, see some basic bodily improvements, etc. Right now I'm playing with more forearms related exercises—like farmers walks—and getting a core routine down. The core stuff is actually a little annoying because I'm not finding the knee ups to be as productive as I'd like. I have some slight lower back issues, so that impinges a little on things like sit ups (which some people swear against anyways) and russian twists. Maybe planks are just what I should get into? I think in the end it'll just be a matter of continuing what I'm doing until I reach a point where I should start cutting, then see what I look/feel like. I'm tentatively putting that point at the end of march for now. Probably around then I'll start trying to get into running a little, too. I'd like to be able to run a 5k by the time I begin law school, which happens to be the exact length of my normal walking routine.

While my main concern is being healthier, I won't lie that a major ideal is to look good to improve, even slightly, my career chances. I've done the skinny and starving scholar in grad school thing. Now I'm trying to do the fit, well built career man thing.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Not a normal human
Does anyone have any advice on how to increase caloric intake? My problem is I don't eat nearly enough to make gains. I calculated it once and I eat around 1500-1800 calories a day, give or take, but I have difficulty passing the 2000 calorie threshold, and to gain muscle I need to be eating around 2300. I've tried increasing the amount I eat before, but I end up feeling sick. I'm certain this is the reason why I've never made much significant progress whenever I try gaining muscle.

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Fuck all these limp-dick lawyers
True & Honest Fan
Does anyone have any advice on how to increase caloric intake? My problem is I don't eat nearly enough to make gains. I calculated it once and I eat around 1500-1800 calories a day, give or take, but I have difficulty passing the 2000 calorie threshold, and to gain muscle I need to be eating around 2300. I've tried increasing the amount I eat before, but I end up feeling sick. I'm certain this is the reason why I've never made much significant progress whenever I try gaining muscle.
If you can, eating nuts and nut butters is a great way. I don’t have the numbers off the top of my head, but both are very dense in calories and fats.
Otherwise, drinking some shakes is a pretty easy way to get in more calories. An old school trick is to use half and half or even heavy cream in your shakes to get them gainz.
Here’s a recipe adapted from Arnold’s Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding, sans raw eggs:
  • 6 fluid ounces of heavy cream
  • 4 scoops of protein powder, chocolate is best for flavor
  • Water to desired consistency
  • Fruit if you want some extra flavor and nutrients
Blend all of this, and depending on fruit and what powder you use, it would be around 1,000 calories, 20 grams of carbs, 62 grams off at, and 100 grams of protein.
You just sip this throughout the day and you will likely gain weight, though eating more real food is better overall.

Last edited:

Duncan Hills Coffee

Not a normal human
If you can, eating nuts and nut butters is a great way. I do t have the numbers off the top of my head, but both are very dense in calories and fats.
I usually have nuts around the house. A cursory glance at their nutrition facts shows that they're pretty packed with calories. It'd probably be a good idea to eat more of them anyway since they're supposed to be healthier to snack on.

Otherwise, drinking some shakes is a pretty’s easy way to get in more calories. An old school trick is to use half and half or even heavy cream in your shakes to get them gainz
Is whole milk okay? I usually drink protein shakes after I work out and I substitute water for milk. I calculated that too and it does provide a bit of a caloric boost but not enough to really push me into the weight gain bracket.

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

True & Honest Fan
I usually have nuts around the house. A cursory glance at their nutrition facts shows that they're pretty packed with calories. It'd probably be a good idea to eat more of them anyway since they're supposed to be healthier to snack on.

Is whole milk okay? I usually drink protein shakes after I work out and I substitute water for milk. I calculated that too and it does provide a bit of a caloric boost but not enough to really push me into the weight gain bracket.
Whole milk is great as well. It’s less calorie dense than creams, but it will still get you more than water.
As a general rule of thumb, you don’t want to gain weight too fast, you can only gain so much in muscle and the rest will be fat. Half a pound or so a week is fine for most people. A standard practice is to slowly bulk for a bit, then cut when you feel it's needed for your goals, this helps you look leaner year round than going hard bulking and cutting. I recommend that approach if you don't compete or anything.
A lot of it, like all of fitness, is very personal. Example, I happen to work a job where I am constantly moving and lifting things. I need to eat more than someone who works a desk job, even when I’m cutting.
I’m general, if you want to gain than just eat more. If you can’t stomach more food, try drinking some of your calories and shoot for a slow and steady weight gain.

Last edited:

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
try drinking some of your calories and shoot for a slow and steady weight gain.
WHY DOESN'T THIS WORK WITH WHISKEY?!?!?!?!!?!?!?

As summed up very well, milk is boss just don't fall for the GOMAD meme, granted, I drink a quart a day on avg just love the shit aside my caloric needs.

Nuts can and will really throw the calories up, costco has this great unsalted mix nuts thing for a reasonable price it's my go to snack and keeps me away from those amazing pretzels I have in the snack drawer.

I don't know if I have a goal for this beyond not dying before 40.
Well, why don't you just start jogging then? Pick a route with some hills, and go for 25-30 mins. At the 12-15ish min mark, turn around and go back the way you came. You might need to catch your breath during the run, but that's ok, you might even need to walk most of the way, that's fine, eventually you'll be able to run the entire time without stopping. Every day just see if you can make it a little further before you have to walk. Then give yourself 2 days of rest between jogs then go again. Repeat until you realize you actually have cardio fitness. Some might say you'll just burn muscle, but I disagree, you will build leg muscle from running. I bet you also find you're sore all over when you first start out. Maybe if you're a 280lb monster you could lose "gains" from running. Try to eat better (more) during this time, make sure you eat some protein every meal.

Pros:
  • Simplicity. You don't need to think beyond putting on your running shoes, whatever clothing you need for the weather( if it's raining put on a rain jacket), and launching yourself out the door.
  • You might not die before 40.
  • You don't have to watch those YouTube videos anymore.
  • When you decide to take up weight training, if you do, you won't get out of breath as fast, it will help you.
  • Develop some mental fortitude, from various weather, and going up hills.
  • Probably see cute grills, and put lead in your pencil.
  • I bet you actually go up in weight not down, you will be more hungry from the jog, and chances are you have a small stomach from eating so little for so long, this few months of jogging will let you build stomach capacity, so when you do decide to take up the weights, you'll be able to meet the calorie and protein goals at every meal.
You expected cons?

Don't tempt me. I've already legit thought about it since im a vapid hoe. But I don't want to mess with T as a chick. Rather not end up looking like a tranny...

I concur. IF you were considering PEDs, perhaps look in to Ostarine (SARMS) or anavar/winstrol cycles will help build muscle and strength with small chance of virilisation. However, I would suggest reach your natural potential first before dabbling with PEDs. Don't be afraid to lift heavy though, women do not produce enough testosterone naturally and are therefore unlikely to become like Natalya Amazonka. I enjoy following this female powerlifter who is stunning, strong and great physique Lindsay and I think she probably is natural. Her strength is not insane, she progresses slowly over time, feminine features still and doesn't sound like a man, My point is, lifting heavy weights will make you look like Lindsay and not Natalya (unless you eat those trenbolini sandwiches :tomgirl:).

You can take it everyday if you want, but it's not necessary.

Regarding creatine, it is probably the only supplement that has been researched and proven to help performance (beside perhaps caffeine). You can obtain enough through diet but this means eating quite a lot of meat, which is not something everybody can either afford or is keen on (animal protein is superior for muscle growth though). Supplementing it will not harm you, unless you take 100s of grams a day but there is no need to take more than 5-10g daily, depending on lean mass etc. Taking creatine will also not make you look "watery or soft" either, having too much body fat does. Creatine affects the muscles intracellular so don't worry about that.

Does anyone have any advice on how to increase caloric intake?

A bulk shake as suggested may do the trick but if you find that too heavy on the stomach, I would suggest increasing fats and simple carbs. Nuts and seeds are great (as already suggested), fry things in grass-fed butter, eat fattier cuts of protein or extra serving of olive oil on vegetables/salads. In terms of carbohydrates maybe add natural honey or maple syrup to meals/drinks, dried fruits pack tonnes of calories (but can give you the shits so be mindful with that), jams or compotes may help too? Also aim to "force feed" and stretch the stomach so it can hold more volume. It is certainly harder eating tonnes of calories wholefoods but do it regular and the body will get used to it. Maybe also consider eating earlier or later, adding in snacks throughout the day and micro-feed the body.

People who have managed to up their bench significantly since starting - how did you do it?

My squat, deadlift, and OHP have progressed excellently since starting, but my bench has seen marginal gains in comparison. With all the variations I've been doing both pre- and peri-lockdown (pauses, Spoto press, slow negatives, block press, etc,) I've seen very, very limited gains in the upper range. Sub-maximal weight is easier to handle, I can do higher reps, form is rock solid at this stage; but it seems like once I get to ~90% 1rm and over, my strength just doesn't seem to change. Benching 100kg for reps feels pretty much as hard as it did 4 months ago.

It's definitely my weakest lift, whether due to anatomy or levers or whatever; but I was honestly expecting to see greater progress considering how much work I'm putting in (benching twice a week at home right now plus accessories.)

I know the bench is easily the lift most influenced by weight gain/loss, with many of the top guys saying that simply being bigger will often raise your bench.

CrackPipeCowboy

perhaps look in to Ostarine (SARMS) or anavar/winstrol cycles will help build muscle and strength with small chance of virilisation.
LOL Don't use SARMS or wisntrol. Anavar seems fine if you hypothetically use it for muscle growth, but most street sources of the stuff are not pure and can be filled with junk that will harm you.
"PEDs are best when given by a doctor." -Every Old Roider
Otherwise, dis nigga spittin.
Taking creatine will also not make you look "watery or soft" either, having too much body fat does.
It can have a slight water bloat look just by how it works with water going and ATP production. That is entirely genetic and just depends where your body wants to send it. Either way, I 100% recommend it. Your body makes around 1g of creatine per day, and you probably get half a gram typically from meat heavy diet. So supping 5g is perfectly fine.
People who have managed to up their bench significantly since starting - how did you do it?
Taking time with volume training is what helped me. I do a mix of strength and hypertrophy training. I went from a 135lb for one rep max to a 225lb for 5 in less than a year. I try to stay lean, so it's a bit of a struggle for strength increasing. A lot of it is time and understanding that you cannot get significantly stronger by wearing yourself out all the time. I'd say attempt a max/lift heavy every other week and work on your recovery and overall endurance. If you are cutting, then strength is just going to plateau or even fade. If you are lean, you're just gonna have to weight. If you're a thick nigga, then just continue the bulk. You really need to just find the training that works best with you. ALSO MAKE SURE YOU EAT AND DRINK CORRECTLY!
Unfortunately I've got some medical issues that leave me weak and tired
If an exercise is too health risking for you, do not do it. Try an alternative and try to put in the same amount of intensity in training.

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

True & Honest Fan
Call me a retard or whatever, unless you need to don’t mess around with roids. I personally don’t really care what you do with yourself, but I would personally never touch them.
It’s not any moral highground, I don’t want to risk fucking up my body when I can look perfectly fine natty and still be strong. You see a lot of people, even and especially young guys, taking roids because they aren’t happy with how they look or function and are looking for a way to fix that about them.
If you’re going to use them, use them carefully and under qualified supervision. Otherwise, if you’re not an athlete or whatever natty is less risky and much, much cheaper in the long run.
That’s just two cents, you do you but know the risks and how to do it.
I just finished a paper on this for class, it’s just on my mind...

CrackPipeCowboy

I don’t want to risk fucking up my body when I can look perfectly fine natty and still be strong. You see a lot of people, even and especially young guys, taking roids because they aren’t happy with how they look or function and are looking for a way to fix that about them.
This 100%. It is much longer, but the end of it all is much more worth it. If you are going to do steroids, wait a decade or more, then talk to your doctor. These things are absolutely serious and not something to just mess with.
As of right now, I'm only interested in bodyweight exercises.
That is entirely fine. Train how you want to train, and make it intense. As long as you aren't hurting yourself and you're training hard, then it is perfectly fine.

CrackPipeCowboy

I'd like to get into lifting because my arms are sticks, but I don't know jack shit about that stuff and i'm too afraid to ask. Not to mention gyms are closed. *sigh*
There are many things you can do. Starting out skinny can be better than starting out overweight. Increase your caloric intake, focus on light weights, and train hard. A simple bodyweight routine isn't bad, and if you have the money, I recommend getting a pull-up bar and 10lb-15lb weights. If you can't get the weights, you can fill gallon jugs with sand, water, or a combinator of the two. These are great things to start out with, just understand your current limits and functions. Greg Doucette and Athlean-X have some good instructional videos such as: How To Maintain Your Muscle and The PERFECT Home Workout
TO GAIN WEIGHT!
I suggest increasing your meals with something protein dense. A lot of people, who have stated before, suggest ingesting creams and high fat foods. While these will pack weight on you, you should also be concerned with lean muscle mass as well. Eat red meats, whole eggs, beans, and anything else high in protein. You can possibly find Greg Doucette's anabolic cookbook somewhere, and Remington James has some great foods you can try.

Call me a retard or whatever, unless you need to don’t mess around with roids. I personally don’t really care what you do with yourself, but I would personally never touch them.
It’s not any moral highground, I don’t want to risk fucking up my body when I can look perfectly fine natty and still be strong. You see a lot of people, even and especially young guys, taking roids because they aren’t happy with how they look or function and are looking for a way to fix that about them.
If you’re going to use them, use them carefully and under qualified supervision. Otherwise, if you’re not an athlete or whatever natty is less risky and much, much cheaper in the long run.
That’s just two cents, you do you but know the risks and how to do it.
I just finished a paper on this for class, it’s just on my mind...
Not retarded at all. Plenty of young guys hop on SARMS or other shit they get online, when they don't have the time under the bar, proper knowledge of programming, diet, form, etc - the result is a decent looking physique which could otherwise be achieved natural, albeit in a longer timeframe.

You can get wicked strong as a natural, and look pretty damn good too. You'll never get that supra-physiological appearance that steroids give you, but I personally think that looks like shit anyway. Those dudes will deflate as soon as they come off cycle. And if they never trained as a strength athlete, weightlifter, or anything actually requiring some degree of athleticism, they basically have nothing when it comes to an end. Absolutely retarded.

My training is weightlifting focused, so I'm neither primarily concerned with aesthetics (like a bodybuilder,) or pure strength in specific movements (like a powerlifter.) Regular squatting will give me good leg power, and consistent overhead training will give me a wicked press. Supplementary hypertrophy training is more than enough to look better than most men while remaining natural looking.

I started training quite late (age 30) so I'm not quite in my prime. I plan to stay natural, unless I experience a significant drop in performance, stagnation, energy levels/recovery etc when I'm in my mid-thirties and beyond. I'll have mostly capped any natural gains by then, so that would seem to be the only sensible time to try hopping on gear. But unless that happens, I won't fuck with it.

I know a dude who is taking SARMS while doing body weight workouts at home, which is just flat out retarded.