Well Written LGBT+ Characters - Who is/what makes a well written homosexual?

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
I liked the main character Tony in Tanya Huff's Smoke and Shadows trilogy. For the most part all his sexuality matters is that he has an embarrassing crush on another character, and several people give him shit over it. Plus there's one bit in the final book where he's trying to contact a god, who is bound to a woman, and the only way she ever speaks to the god is through sex. Except he's so gay he can't get it up for her. And then she's irked because she's used to being able to get anyone, male or female, to drop their pants for her.

It's funny because he's likeable. She wrote lesbian characters for the third book of the Keepers series and I found them irritating as fuck and obnoxious.

Lemmingwise

Judging you internally
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oberyn Martel from Martin's books was pretty cool, ditto his portrayl in the early seasons of Thrones. I think what made him good was the fact that he was a really cool, charismatic character with solid motivations. The fact he occasionally took a guy to bed with, or instead of a girl, was utterly incidental.
Same thing in mr robot and house of cards. It's a typically woke kinda meme.

This if my favorite gay character.

name.PNG

It's a comedy, so it's far from the best written. But I loved that everybody fucking hated this show. Right wing hated it for having a gay marriage, left wing hated it for not portraying gay people as perfect little angels.

This guy is rich as fuck and convinced the other guy to leave his wife and marry him, but it becomes clear that the other guy isn't gay at all but just an easygoing guy that eventually relented. It's all very dark and abusive and funny as fuck.

General Disarray

engine go braaaaap
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There's a comic out there called Chaos Life made by a lesbian couple (one of whom has a real mental illness), and honestly it's pretty funny for being all self-insert. They also make a graphic novel, FindChaos, but I never delved into it. You can find the comic on Tumblr, and they are not all centered around their lesbianism. Mostly it's about their pets and daily life, but they do touch (lightly, not strong-armed like Labelle) on mental illness and gay stuff, just because that's who they are.

Example
Another:
1593523557056.png

1593523619215.png

Last edited:

William Tell Underpass

#ApplesForHobos
kiwifarms.net
I like Apollo and Midnighter from The Authority as characters. They don't suffer from the too perfect problem or the unnecessary issue. They are based on Batman and Superman, very Male characters, with both male traits and flaws, and also have a strong well written relationship.

There is a scene where midnighter tortures a guy to death with a jackhammer for calling apollo a fag, but its framed as a 'disrespecting my husband' thing rather than a 'homophobia' thing which is a lot more realistic for a masculine and more mature approach to a gay character. I would be disrespecting the author if I said I was impressed with this bit but it is so rare to find this kind of framing in modern media involving the LGBTs.

Its a very violent comic and that response is this comic universes equivalent of punching someone in the face so it also doesnt feel like a gay power/revenge fantasy.

Also a really good comic, highly reccommend.

Meat Target

I'm what you call a professional
kiwifarms.net
Do Aces count in this? Because Parvati from the Outer Worlds was at least likeable. Probably the only thing memorable about that ho-hum game was her: a cute, spergy Pajeeta, which does make her a "special snowflake", but not in a bad way IMO.

It's a shame you can't romance her.
220px-Parvati_Holcomb.png

stuffandthings

Inflammatory Metacommentary
kiwifarms.net
Achilles from The Iliad was in a relationship with Patroclus and was still a badass.
Gotta do a little correcting here. The entire crux of the Iliad is Achilles having his woman taken away and doing a hissy fit about it, and Patrocles also has a captive woman bed warmer. If you read the actual work, (written down 700BC) they're written as cousins. They're close, but not explicitly bumming it. HOWEVER when bumming it became really popular in Greece in the fifth and sixth centuries BC, the relationship was recontexualized as super duper gay. Same with Orestes and Pylades. Basically Athens invented slashfic.

My first introduction to a well written LGBT character was Juhani from the first KOTOR.
Juhanihead.jpg

She strikes that perfect balance of her sexuality integrated into her character, and her being much more than just her label, with non lesbo history and goals. If anyone tries to pretend firsties on a later OMG SEW QUEER Star Wars character I slap that shit right down. Her being a lesbian is kinda subtle, but was important enough to the writers that when the first release allowed both men and women to 'romance' her they later fixed the game to exclude dudes.

Kacho

I'm a sick Kong. I like a quick dong.
kiwifarms.net
This if my favorite gay character.

View attachment 1418391

It's a comedy, so it's far from the best written. But I loved that everybody fucking hated this show. Right wing hated it for having a gay marriage, left wing hated it for not portraying gay people as perfect little angels.

This guy is rich as fuck and convinced the other guy to leave his wife and marry him, but it becomes clear that the other guy isn't gay at all but just an easygoing guy that eventually relented. It's all very dark and abusive and funny as fuck.
This show is like Venture Bros fanfic about Rusty marrying Brock and adopting Billy.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Lemmingwise

Double Dragon

a streetfighting beat 'em up, but much nastier
kiwifarms.net
Someone mentioned it already, but Hannibal from the show Hannibal is pretty spot on. His sexuality is never directly quantified (and can be completely waved off if that’s your preference), and is my personal favorite example of a ‘fatal attraction’ trope. There’s also an interesting lesbian couple in Season 3, each with their fully fleshed out motivations.

The worst kinds of gay rep are the easily dubbed over kinds that are there solely for the sake of American pandering, usually seen in those mass marketed Disney productions. The gay guy talking about his dead boyfriend at the beginning of End Game, for example, or the blink and you miss it lesbian kiss of Rise of Skywalker.

The only halfway compelling example would be LeFou in the live action Beauty and the Beast, only because Gaston being a cocktease to keep a sniveling little crony around is kind of hilarious.

Letthepowerofgoutcompelyo

Might as well enjoy the apocalypse
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I always thought that Corey and Shawn from "Boy meets world" were a good example of men fully in the closet, desperate to be considered straight.

That's why Corey even married Topanga and adopted some kind of eurasian chick to be his daughter, he was terrified of the world knowing he was tapping Shawn's tight, taut, muscular Italian buttocks.

Jmz_33

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 697506
I ganna go with Ellie from the last of us. Though most of the strengths of the game are from the relationship/interactions between Ellie and Joel, Ellie has shown to be a strong character on her own. She can be stubborn, crude, and reckless , but can also be empathetic, caring, and independent.

Here’s to hoping that they don’t fuck it up in part 2.
well... uh... hm...

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
Ik it's not literature related but Kevin from paranormnan is probably the best example of how to have LGBT characters in animation.

It's not brought up regaurding him as a character until litteraly the last minute when a girl hitting on him says sorry but I'm gay with a boyfriend, and that's it like for the rest of the movie he's a well rounded supporting character.

Dave.

Damn wypipo
kiwifarms.net
1594520396240.png

Didn't even know he was into guys until I heard an audiolog calling him an 'old fruit'.

ISDwarnedus

kiwifarms.net
The sifu of Yuen Biao's character in the 80s kung fu movie The Prodigal Son is heavily implied to be gay. It's not really a big focus though and only one line alludes to it. He gets one of the best choreographed fight scenes in Hong Kong action cinema.

SirenBrain

kiwifarms.net
American Gods had a gay love story between two arab characters, which I think was both well written and slaughtered a pretty big sacred cow a lot of people are afraid to touch.

• Disagree
Reactions: Lemmingwise

-4ZURE-

Kill Every Last One of Them!
kiwifarms.net
Batman and Gordon, along with likely Joker and Penguin from Teen Titans Go
I mean, they have to be right?

LinkinParkxNaruto[AMV]

I try so hard and got so far
kiwifarms.net
Willow from Buffy the Vampire Slayer was a cool character, forcing gayness into the plot wasn't as standard back then so it felt at least different, at least to me as a teenager.

Also, Tomoyo from Sakura Card Captors although i don't remember is shes even canonically lesbian, i think it was more like a platonic thing.

Fareal

will definitely consider what you have said
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Did we pick up Tom Ripley from Patricia Highsmith’s Ripliad series yet?

Tags
None