Well Written LGBT+ Characters - Who is/what makes a well written homosexual?

Truthspeaker

Walking that line between victim and ex-lover
kiwifarms.net

Hisoka Morrow is the kind of character Masashi Kishimoto wanted to create, but didn't have the guts to follow through on. You learn few concrete things about him aside from his love of a good fight and his unhealthy interest in boys. But even though he sometimes helps the main characters, he's never been absolved for his depravity, and I think Togashi has ebough respect for his audience not to end the story by doing what Kishimoto did for Orochimaru and Sasuke.

Wew, lad.
When's the last time Square made a game you'd want to play more than once that wasn't a port*? Did it even happen this century?

* And even their ports don't have a great track record.

I think Tales is at pretty much the optimal level of popularity. If it got as popular as Final Fantasy, Bandai-Namco might start nickel-and-dimeing fans for all its worth with microtransactions*, "games as a service" subscriptions (where you lose access to content you paid for once you stop paying), and, of course, remakes of games that were originally one game now split into three parts, each sold at full price.
It's sad how right you are.

Plus, bringing it back to the topic of the thread, Tales can have gay characters without much fuss or controversy because the games generally fly under the radar in North America compared to Final Fantasy.
Symphonia isn't even the only time they've done it. They very heavily implied it in Vesperia, and had everything short of a kiss and a gay sex scene in Zestiria.

Even Kingdom Hearts hasn't gone that far, and I'm pretty sure Nomura's in the closet.

Last edited:

Y2K Baby

The Codex of Ultimate Wisdom???
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Hisoka Morrow is the kind of character Masashi Kishimoto wanted to create, but didn't have the guts to follow through on. You learn few concrete things about him aside from his love of a good fight and his unhealthy interest in boys. But even though he sometimes helps the main characters, he's never been absolved for his depravity, and I think Yogashi has ebough respect for his audience not to end the story by doing what Kishimoto did for Orochimaru and Sasuke.

When's the last time Square made a game you'd want to play more than once that wasn't a port*? Did it even happen this century?

Symphonia isn't even the only time they've done it. They very heavily implied it in Vesperia, and had everything short of a kiss and a gay sex scene in Zestiria.

Even Kingdom Hearts hasn't gone that far, and I'm pretty sure Nomura's in the closet.
Why are you so excited about fags
Are you a fat chick

Truthspeaker

kiwifarms.net
Why are you so excited about fags
Are you a fat chick
I'm secretly Shawn Mendes. Posting gay jokes online and talking about well-written LGBT characters is how I decompress on living a lie.

Camila's upstairs right now. I can barely hear myself think with all the noises her and Taylor make when they're scissoring.

• Deviant
Reactions: Y2K Baby

jellycar

Actually Patty Hearst/Fake Jan Brady
kiwifarms.net

Hisoka Morrow is the kind of character Masashi Kishimoto wanted to create, but didn't have the guts to follow through on. You learn few concrete things about him aside from his love of a good fight and his unhealthy interest in boys. But even though he sometimes helps the main characters, he's never been absolved for his depravity, and I think Togashi has ebough respect for his audience not to end the story by doing what Kishimoto did for Orochimaru and Sasuke.

Can you elaborate on Vesperia, Zestria, and why you think Nomura is gay?

• Feels

Truthspeaker

kiwifarms.net
Can you elaborate on Vesperia, Zestria, and why you think Nomura is gay?
Sure thing.

Vesperia was more implication. Two of your female party members, Rita and Estelle, develop a very close friendship throughout the game. Rita in particular. Unlike Estelle, she doesn't show any romantic interest in men. There's even a sidequest where they raise a baby together in the deluxe edition of the game.

Zestiria's different. The main character, Sorey, never shows any interest in women beyond friendship. He has plenty of options. He spends almost the whole game travelling with hot women. But he never shows any romantic or sexual interest in any of the female characters in the game.

He's far more interested in his best friend Mikleo. The game treats Mikleo fairly similarly to how the series has treated love interests in the past. They spend the most time together. They're each other's most important person. There's even a scene in the game where one of the male party members is asking Sorey if he wants to peek on women, and Sorey doesn't understand the appeal at all; but does understand the appeal of Mikleo at the bath.

It's doubly unusual, because Sorey and Mikleo aren't going through a romance storyline. For all intents and purposes, they're already a couple. And there are hardly any games out there of any kind where the main character is already in a romantic relationship at the star of the story, and they stick through it to the end.

Zestiria's a flawed game. It's DLC was extremely disrespectful to the audience, and the AI is downright pathetic. But Sorey and Mikleo's relationship is actually worthy of respect. Their relationship is healthy, charming, and functional; free of the melodrama, abuse, and misogyny of Masashi Koshimoto's homoerotic oeuvre.

As for Nomura, I'm not as confident with him as I am with Kishimoto. But his intrusive interest in gaudy fashion and musical theater, combined with his work's lack of interest in actual relationships between men and women, and his lack of interest in developing women characters in material where he actually works on the story, all scream "suspect" to me.

Kishimoto's a tricky case: he has a very good understanding of how to make compelling characters, but he continuously sabotages his writing by refusing to follow through on the logical consequences of his characters actions the moment he adds a sympathetic touch. It gets downright comical how easily people in Naruto are willing to forgive crimes such as treason, pederasty, Mengele-esque human experimentation, and genocide just because Kishimoto himself feels sympathy for his latest pet.

I'm certain Naruto and Sasuke have romantic feelings for each other. But I wouldn't call them well-written after how badly Kishimoto insulted his readers intelligence.

Kishimoto's also a vile, sexist pig. He hates women as much as any notable writer I can think of, including Bret Easton Ellis and Dave Sim. But Ellis and Sim at least have the decency to follow through on the logical consequences of their characters actions.

It's a shame how much feminist outrage has been wasted on unserious bullshit like female characters in sexy outfits or male characters rescuing female characters from bad guys. It could, in theory, be useful when blasted at deserving targets like Naruto.

A Beached Whale

A Whale of a Tale
kiwifarms.net
I was pleasantly surprised by, and adore Robin from Stranger Things Season 3. She's incredibly witty, smart, funny, and a nice addition to the cast. Her sexuality only came up when she had to gently turn down a heartfelt confession by a male friend. The scene was handled again, surprisingly well given most of 2019's ideas of 'inclusion'.

• Agree
Reactions: Jmz_33

Dunkirk

My other car is a STUG
kiwifarms.net
The Ciaphas Cain series has Grifen and Magot, two Imperial Guardswomen who are a blatant couple, and everyone (Cain included) rolls with it, they kick ass and being a couple doesn't hurt that, so they don't get any shit for it.

Amusingly enough, Cain gets accused of having sexual designs on Magot at one point by a bitchy rival, and Cain finds this hilarious because (A) she's obviously not into men and his rival is a dumbass for not noticing the obvious and (B) Magot would have put a bolter to his ballsack if he tried anything even if he is a Commissar and he knows it.
It's hard to fuck up writing an LGBT character in 40k as the universe is just so overwhelmingly brutal and grimdark, that the fact they're LGBT is overshadowed by the horde of screaming xenos/heretics/daemons.

Chewy Suarez

kids eat free on monday!
kiwifarms.net
I was pleasantly surprised by, and adore Robin from Stranger Things Season 3. She's incredibly witty, smart, funny, and a nice addition to the cast. Her sexuality only came up when she had to gently turn down a heartfelt confession by a male friend. The scene was handled again, surprisingly well given most of 2019's ideas of 'inclusion'.
Stranger Things is TV caviar. I’m not shocked they were able to do this properly. I love the Scoop Troop.

Reactions: A Beached Whale

FitBitch

EAT A PIECE OF FRUIT YOU FAT FUCK!
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, the story of the comic "Castle Swimmer" isn't great but I do appreciate that it is a gay romance where the struggle of the characters being together isn't because they're gay. Gayness is really a non issue for the entire plot and I like that.

• Thunk-Provoking
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino