Well Written LGBT+ Characters - Who is/what makes a well written homosexual?

Rob_Mercury

🤡🌏
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Having someone LGBT+ can be great if you succeed in making it something interesting for the audience. One of the most obvious genre's to try this in would ofc be romance. That brings me to blue is the warmest color, a French comic about the relationship of two young women, Clementine and Emma, with the former having to initially struggle with her attraction to another women. What I like the most about this is how no character in here is infallible. The relationships portrayed suffer from the same problems that others have (gay or otherwise) such as adultery and the more specific feelings I imagine a lot of gay people might go through about wanting to feel "normal", confusion about their feelings and being ostracized by others around them. It also touches on the political activism within the community and ties that back to Emma and Clementine in a rather effective way.
Emma becomes more politically involved while Emma keeps it more to herself, for which Emma calls her a coward, putting a strain on their relationship and causing Clementine to cheat on her. With a guy.
Another plus is that it isn't made by some Andrew Dobson type who claims to be an ally even though he only cares about one letter of the alphabet, it's instead written by an actual lesbian.

Also both of them (especially the movie) involve graphic depictions of sex. So be mindful of that. Both of them also have VERY different endings, so keep that in mind if you want to do both.

Last edited:

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Wrestling Champion
kiwifarms.net
Though it is an autobiography, and may be cheating in this thread, My Lesbian Experience With Loneliness is a manga that actually handles the concept of sexuality with some tact. It’s much more about mental instability and the actual reality of, well, reality. Having girlsex doesn’t cure the main of all her issues, there’s not a lot of drama surrounding her being gay, yet overall it’s a hopeful message about accepting yourself but also working on yourself.
That was the L, now let’s get to the T. From the episodes what I’ve seen, the show Euphoria is surprisingly good at this. It’s a lot more edgy about it, but that actually serves to paint a more realistic picture of the insanity and degeneracy that is rampant in the trans community. The show itself is pretty woke, or at least the characters we follow are. I can’t tell if we’re meant to agree or not, but whatever. I haven’t finished the show yet, it could radically change, but so far I think it’s doing an interesting job of it.
As for gay dudes, I’d say that the Game of Thrones books are pretty good with how they handle it. The Flower Knight, Loras or something, is an gay. But, he just happens to like guys. He’s still a good character on his own, gay is not his central trait. There’s a lot of other stuff going on with him that makes him interesting, he’s not just ‘the gay guy’.

• Agree
Reactions: HumanHive

Coelacanth

Your local living fossil.
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 1152155
He was always feeling super and thanked you for asking.
Honestly this guy and Mr.Slave are my favourite adult characters in South Park - especially the latter. He's helpful, sweet and even discourages others from making the life choices he's made because he knows what people are doing is essentially playing with fire that could ruin their lives if they can't take it. I'm honestly upset he isn't more popular.

I suppose a group of characters that could be described as well written LGBT characters are the Magypsies from Mother 3. Despite being completely over the top for the most part, they're generally well meaning and their lack of sexuality and understanding of how social norms are in Tazmilly both work for and against them. Special mention to best Magypsy Ionia, who tried to be a good parent to Kumatora too.

Lochria/Fassad also counts - he's an interesting, abusive antagonist that you don't really learn much about until the final chapter of the game and I'm surprised people don't try to theorise about him more.

Eclair's Shota Paradise

Cookie Wars prepared me for this.....
kiwifarms.net
Might be cheating, but pretty much all the romance options in Stardew Valley. Since they're all dateable regardless of gender, there's very little of their personality that dwells on them being gay/bi/lesbian, since about 95% of the dialogue is identical, and most of the lines that aren't identical just swap the pronouns used in a sentence. Even the somewhat big changes are usually only a line or two long (ie, Sebastian mentions that you're the first guy he's had feelings for if you play as a male, otherwise he just points out that he doesn't usually open up like this to girls then the scene proceeds identically) and the game doesn't really change, since the focus is more farming and dealing with the townspeople's interpersonal issues.

NumbOfLife

kiwifarms.net
Might as well get it out of the way: Albus Dumbledore.

His sexuality is not the central part of his character, it wasn't even mentioned in the books (if at all). What makes him well-loved is his wisdom and loyalty to his students and instructors (most of whom practically owe him their lives), as well as his eccentricity. He was the only wizard Voldemort feared and while we don't get the full details because Harry either couldn't keep up or he had passed out/was blinded, the fact he swooped in to stop Voldemort in Order of the Phoenix was pretty bad-ass. He was not afraid of death, in fact if I remember right, he planned his death with the man he trusted the most. For fuck's sake, his death alone is the biggest tearjerker in the entire series, he's that loved in-story and by fans alike. Then it turns out he was the mastermind behind just about everything in the overarching plot of defeating Voldemort. It took years to accomplish, but he carefully plotted it out. That makes him the most important character in the series, and I'd daresay he's the true hero of the story, and he's the anti-hero. Even so, he's not perfect, he made his own mistakes and one of them proved fatal to him, but he's human.

Question remains on if you pitted him against Gandalf, who would win (probably Gandalf), but still, Albus is fucking amazing in his own right. You could pick him apart and find more flaws, but he's one of the best characters in the series--top three, I'd wager.

Bonus round: His My Immortal incarnation has the coolest, most quoted line in fan fiction history. You know the one.
I disagree with this. Sexuality wasn't just 'not the point' of his character, it WASNT his character. JK Rowling retroactively made him gay which is a huge cop-out. She should of referenced his sexuality in the books, maybe make a character arc out of it, but she didn't, and now she's going back and rewriting them to seem woke.

Also I don't like the idea that characters need to justify being gay, I mean straight characters don't need a reason to be straight, so why does it matter? And just because a characters sexuality is a huge part of the character doesn't necessarily mean they are poorly written (a characters sexuality could be a huge part of their story arch and character development in a story).

firestoopscience

General Who Stabilizes the East
kiwifarms.net
The one I'm most familiar with is MDZS (Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation) where the main character is literally villianized through the whole damn series. Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji are both canon gays and are married by the end of the book. What I like about Wei Wuxian (even though he's not my favorite in the book by far), is he's so earnest and determined to do the right thing. He's a prodigy and he likes showing it off BUT it doesn't save him in the end and makes literally most people turn on him. He ends up saving his adopted brother and having to delve into forbidden magic to protect people and ends up being yeeted to his death. (This isn't a spoiler ironically, this is the first episode of the shows and novel). When he's reincarnated, he ends up being snatched up by Lan Wangji, the person who he thought hated him, and they go on to clear up a murder mystery of a disembodied zombie full of rage and clear Wei Wuxian's name 13 years later
MDZS was the only book I read from the MXTX-verse, and I did like that (at least in the translated novels) they basically fleshed out the world and the lore in a way that I liked. It was kinda Witcheresque and had a lotta dark elements that was never too overpowering. I think the MAJOR setback in that novel was that it ends in the middle. Like once the two realized their feelings (though WWX realizing that LWJ saved him was actually romantic in a "Won't let you die despite you being annoying" way) and hooked up, the plot just like... stops. And by the end of it I realize that it's still a BL story despite having a lot of the elements that good world builders and loremasters had. The Adaptations did focus more on that aspect which was aight though but I feel the Novel cheated me a bit XD

Speaking of which, I've been in a weird Mobage Kick lately, but I consider Ladiva from GBF and Da Vinci from FGO as genuinely good LGBT characters.

Da Vinci is technically a trans woman since she used to be a handsome man but manipulated her Saint Graph (basically Magic Body) to be more like the Mona Lisa (and admits this openly). She's basically that a genius that she claims her beauty transcends beyond concepts like Gender, but she is pretty much a respectful, intelligent, if arrogant and a little off the rails woman that people praise. Basically she is respected for what she does. It also helps that people genderbend a lotta heroes so she ain't really out of place... if anything she is so far the only Heroic Spirit who manipulates her own Body willingly.

Ladiva on the other hand, is from a race that has a very exaggerated sexual dimorphism. Basically you either be a Bara God or smol thicc loli with the tits the size of watermelons. She basically is a badass wrestler who has a Male Body that...odd that I found this out... actually accepts and instead uses that body to protect the people she loves and fight for justice to the point that she rejects a transition that was offered to her because it would be a dishonor to her own parents. She's also kind of the big, optimistic, and loveable mom figure as well so there is that.

Like these two are pretty decent examples of good LGBT characters from Japanese media because their "representation" was a small yet subtly contributing part of their character and not all of it. It also helps to give them a presence and a personality too.

Last edited:
Reactions: FluffyTehFennekin

John Titor

Pronouns: time/temporal/tempself
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My favorite portrayal of a LGBT characters comes from Level E written by the same guy who did Yuyu Hakusho and Hunter X Hunter (he's also married to the author to Sailor Moon so it's clear they're sympathetic). I recommend watching it because just mentioning there's an LGBT character already ruins the twist.

There's a FtM character who just wants to find someone who would accept him and while someone suggests that he go date a lesbian, he refuses because that defeats the point. He gets his happy ending when aliens risk breaking an intergalactic law to give him a complete transition. Oh yeah, did I mention this series was about aliens? Because there's aliens.

• Informative
Reactions: Troonologist PhD

Mel Feasance

Going east, to toil.
kiwifarms.net
Maybe it's been mentioned, and honestly I can't remember if it was confirmed or just hinted at, but Gale Boetticher was a pretty well written character in Breaking Bad (and Better Call Saul? IDK haven't watched it yet), who really just seemed to crave a friend more than a cock like so many LGBTQ characters do.

Gar For Archer

kiwifarms.net
MDZS was the only book I read from the MXTX-verse, and I did like that (at least in the translated novels) they basically fleshed out the world and the lore in a way that I liked. It was kinda Witcheresque and had a lotta dark elements that was never too overpowering. I think the MAJOR setback in that novel was that it ends in the middle. Like once the two realized their feelings (though WWX realizing that LWJ saved him was actually romantic in a "Won't let you die despite you being annoying" way) and hooked up, the plot just like... stops. And by the end of it I realize that it's still a BL story despite having a lot of the elements that good world builders and loremasters had. The Adaptations did focus more on that aspect which was aight though but I feel the Novel cheated me a bit XD

Speaking of which, I've been in a weird Mobage Kick lately, but I consider Ladiva from GBF and Da Vinci from FGO as genuinely good LGBT characters.

Da Vinci is technically a trans woman since she used to be a handsome man but manipulated her Saint Graph (basically Magic Body) to be more like the Mona Lisa (and admits this openly). She's basically that a genius that she claims her beauty transcends beyond concepts like Gender, but she is pretty much a respectful, intelligent, if arrogant and a little off the rails woman that people praise. Basically she is respected for what she does. It also helps that people genderbend a lotta heroes so she ain't really out of place... if anything she is so far the only Heroic Spirit who manipulates her own Body willingly.

Ladiva on the other hand, is from a race that has a very exaggerated sexual dimorphism. Basically you either be a Bara God or smol thicc loli with the tits the size of watermelons. She basically is a badass wrestler who has a Male Body that...odd that I found this out... actually accepts and instead uses that body to protect the people she loves and fight for justice to the point that she rejects a transition that was offered to her because it would be a dishonor to her own parents. She's also kind of the big, optimistic, and loveable mom figure as well so there is that.

Like these two are pretty decent examples of good LGBT characters from Japanese media because their "representation" was a small yet subtly contributing part of their character and not all of it. It also helps to give them a presence and a personality too.
Late reply, but this sort of raises the question... if there was actually a hypothetical technology that could allow you to fully transition into a true and honest woman with a real female body and real female hormones, can you really even be considered trans at that point? You’re literally now a biological female with the memories and consciousness of someone who used to be male, but all of that is now filtered through a biologically female brain with female brain chemistry.

Reactions: Fagatron

Fagatron

ArchFedora
kiwifarms.net
Late reply, but this sort of raises the question... if there was actually a hypothetical technology that could allow you to fully transition into a true and honest woman with a real female body and real female hormones, can you really even be considered trans at that point? You’re literally now a biological female with the memories and consciousness of someone who used to be male, but all of that is now filtered through a biologically female brain with female brain chemistry.
I'd say yes.

You may physically be a woman but in this case Simone De Beauvior's would come back with an unintended vengence; "One is not born, but rather becomes, a woman." .

You may be biologically female and now influenced by female hormones but that doesn't change the fact you were raised as the opposite gender for x number of years but more crucially; were raised under the influence of that sex's hormones and genetic disposition.

To oversimplify it men of any sexual preference are generally more aggressive than women. You've got a whole long line of memories from a male perspective, and not a female one. You may not be male, but you're still not female either mentally.

Not that I like this chain of logic much, since this could be used to justify child transition which I despise.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Gar For Archer

Nef Anyo

THE POWER OF THE VOID COMPELS YOU!
kiwifarms.net
Gotta say Ticker from Warframe: it's not outright or explicitly stated she's a trans woman (it was only confirmed off the cuff by the lead writer), but you can pretty much gather that when you hear her speak. But the fact she's trans is never made the sole focus of her character -it's not even brought up at all- and the codex entries related to her is her telling a rather heartbreaking story about her former lover (whose gender, by the way, is never stated). Ticker is probably the only Fortuna NPC who isn't irritating, so make of that what you will.

And you're gonna roll your eyes, but Dr. Suvi from Mass Effect: Andromeda. It's pretty amazing they managed to write a character who is religious and a lesbian without falling into tired old trope and/or a way to bash religion, nor was her being a lesbian the sole focus of her characterization. A shame she was stuck in such a mediocre/forgettable game, I genuinely liked her (but didn't romance her, because that's not my thing).

firestoopscience

General Who Stabilizes the East
kiwifarms.net
Unless you tell them you used to be a different gender at birth, I think they would most likely not say they were trans with that perfect hypothetical tech. Then again even at the most effective gender reassignment surgery right NOW those with Gender Dysphoria still experience it, albeit in a lot smaller doses. I think that's why trans characters in fiction have to either state they are at some point or be in the middle of a transition to get their identity across.

Last edited:

harbleglarb

kiwifarms.net
the answer should be obvious.
hqdefault.jpg

i'm going to echo someone earlier in the thread mentioning Hana from Tokyo Godfathers because it's my favorite of Satoshi Kon's movies, and i love her as a character.

also, while it didn't fully make it into the final version, Miguel and Tulio from The Road to El Dorado were supposed to be a gay couple (and it kinda shows in certain scenes). i think that if it hadn't been shot down by the studio it would've made for a genuinely sweet and believable romance.

editing to add a couple instances i forgot:

Carmilla is a pre-Dracula vampire novella where the main character/narrator is preyed upon by a lesbian vampire. my memory's a bit fuzzy on this one but i definitely remember liking it.

it's more subtle, but there's an implied gay relationship between the characters Volfred and Oralech in Pyre. you mainly see it if both of them end up in the same place post-game (they end up spending a lot of time together and there's a bit of dialog between Volfred and Bertrude that IIRC implies Volfred is gay).

Last edited:

Punished Benis

Nerevarine of the short bus
kiwifarms.net
Judge Holden. He's the single most impactful reocurring character in Blood Meridian, although you could argue he's more an archetype or force of nature I suppose. A villain through and through, but McCarthy doesn't really do the whole "hero" thing anyway. I think its something a lot of intelligent or well-educated characters miss the mark on, the author ends up trying to make someone outside their ability, and to quote the old 4chan copypasta about the topic, "smart people are functionally wizards".

Holden has arguably supernatural qualities, yes, but most of his presented impact is imparting knowledge or philosophy onto the bands of ruffians he travels with, most of it destructive in the end. Also, I'm totally going to name a rifle "Et in Arcadia ego", because that's fucking awesome.

Mayhaps a satanic archetype was a poor choice for entry in the thread, but hey, he's legitimately one of my favorite characters in how he's written.

• Agree
Reactions: Badonkadonk Trash
Tags
None