Were the 2010s a blur? - (putting the "zoom" in "zoomer")

were the 2010s a blur?

• yep

Votes: 96 76.2%
  • nope

Votes: 30 23.8%

• Total voters

Pronouns: Xe/Xer
kiwifarms.net
Oh shit! Y'all faggots seem to forget that 2010s was the raise of MLP and the Brony community.

1_Twilight_Sparkle.jpg

Which was totally not sexual or cringe, you guys! Just watch the show! You'll get it!

Bad Gateway

More Like Cunny Rutledge Wilson
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
No, a decade is a standard measurement of time. You're too young - or more likely too fuckin gay - to understand what that means yet.

Dom Cruise

Winter waifu, 1906 style
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think its because we have yet to really look back on the 2010s , im sure someone during the 90s felt the same way during the 90s as we do now.
To look back, what I think defines the 2010s is "wasted potential", I remember the vibe there was in 2009, 2010 and 2011, there was a genuine desire to make the world a better place, to dig ourselves out of the pit of terrorism, war and recession and get things back on track, it was honestly a pretty beautiful thing while it lasted, but then it got high jacked by evil militant leftists that just wanted revenge and here we are, worse off than we were in 2010, which is mind boggling.

Culturally when we entered the 2010s there was a strong desire to bring back some cool elements of older pop culture that had fallen by the wayside, a desire to "get the old band back together" among many creative types and franchises, fueled by things like Kickstarter, I still remember how fucking exciting it was when the news that Disney bought Star Wars dropped, there was literally a universe of possibility.

But then, instead of bringing old things back and doing them justice, things veered off into deconstructionist territory, aka "Woke", which in many instances has buried these beloved franchises for good, with Stars Wars being the biggest example.

Only Mad Max: Fury Road really gave us an idea what these retro revivals could have been like when done well, instead we mostly got garbage like Ghostbusters 2016 and The Last Jedi.

Somewhere out there is probably an alternate universe where the 2010s was an amazing decade we all dream about, but it wasn't this timeline.

Not really. Decades only get their stereotypes long after, like the years 1980-89 only slightly resemble "the 80s", and most of what we think of "the 60s" was 1967-69 and much of the culture was very different.
It's funny how that works, there's so many forgotten aspects of life in the 90s that I remember that aren't a part of the stereotype of "the 90s" today, the same will probably hold true for the 00s and 10s.

Serbian Peacekeepers

Defenders of Biden
kiwifarms.net
To look back, what I think defines the 2010s is "wasted potential", I remember the vibe there was in 2009, 2010 and 2011, there was a genuine desire to make the world a better place, to dig ourselves out of the pit of terrorism, war and recession and get things back on track, it was honestly a pretty beautiful thing while it lasted, but then it got high jacked by evil militant leftists that just wanted revenge and here we are, worse off than we were in 2010, which is mind boggling.
I'll be honest i think the 2010s will be seen as the decade of terrorism/the peak of terrorism , sure 9/11 and 7/7 happened in the 2000s but the 2010s saw terrorism become a much more common thing with the rise (and fall) of isis and the rise of domestic terror in many nations.

albert the programmer

Computer programmer at work
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Its only like that because the rise of a centralized Internet has mainly kept people less outspoken and more into pushovers. The 2010’s had things like this, but it was not as obvious or obnoxious back in the 2000’s.

It was just astroturfed in a way where they force you to notice, and not in a healthy way.

Dom Cruise

Winter waifu, 1906 style
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
One thing I think contributes to the oddness of our modern situation is digital photography, you can look at photos from over a decade ago that more or less look like they could have been taken yesterday, that wasn't the case in the era of film photography, I think that can make the past seem more recent than it is.

I'll be honest i think the 2010s will be seen as the decade of terrorism/the peak of terrorism , sure 9/11 and 7/7 happened in the 2000s but the 2010s saw terrorism become a much more common thing with the rise (and fall) of isis and the rise of domestic terror in many nations.
Of course and any hope to stop that was cratered by Woke making it politically incorrect to even say terrorism is a problem, unless it's "white terrorism"

The 2010s was just people copying the 90s but forgetting to bring the charm and cool factor.
This is on point, a retarded version of the 1990s is basically what the 2010s was.

There's a lot of parallels between 90s and 10s culture wise, except the 90s was like a better version, more fair, more interesting, more honest and simply cooler.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
it wasn't this timeline
In the Berenstein timeline:

+ 9/11 never happened.
+ The recession never happened.
+ No one invented social media (but the Arab Spring was still a thing).
+ Woke remained a fringe academic and activist thing.
+ The coof blew over like the swine and bird flus.
+ CWC is still "classic CWC" and never incested Barb.
+ The Simpsons is still good.

2016-2020 Trump derangement syndrome was lulzy and memorable.
Especially the way CWC reacted.

"Pmurt"

Fallout 4
"Let's go pal."

Fallout 4 seems recent. Let's see how long it's really been...

6 years ago?!

Dom Cruise

Winter waifu, 1906 style
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
In the Berenstein timeline:

+ 9/11 never happened.
+ The recession never happened.
+ No one invented social media (but the Arab Spring was still a thing).
+ Woke remained a fringe academic and activist thing.
+ The coof blew over like the swine and bird flus.
+ CWC is still "classic CWC" and never incested Barb.
+ The Simpsons is still good.
It's almost too painful to even speculate about stuff like that, but I see about 4 major divergent points over the last 20 years, the first being 9/11 of course, the second being the recession, the third being Woke and the fourth and most recent being Covid.

It's probably impossible to underestimate how different the world would be today if 9/11 had never happened, although one potential downside to 9/11 never happening I've heard is tension with China could have exploded far earlier, because of the spy plane which China captured, all of which was forgotten as soon as 9/11 happened.

But things would be so radically different in a world without 9/11 that it's pretty much impossible to really imagine, what's far easier for me to envision is a world without the Great Recession and a world without Woke, I wish we could have gotten that at least.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
if 9/11 had never happened
AlternateHistoryHub made a video about that (and which is already 7 years old):

What if 9/11 Never Happened? - YouTube

Also if either "social" media culture never happened, things would be a lot better. Woke wouldn't be as bad as it is, the "New Normal" may not have been a thing (no fearmongering "influencers"), and it wouldn't feel like real life was "cancelled" - at least not as much.

Angry Canadian

Give me 30 minutes.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think you can objectively argue that the 2010s were a blur decade based solely on the rise of social justice and the way in which it operates and the way the mainstream media reported on it. Take an oil painting and pour turpentine all over it and wipe it up with a rag, blurred lines, blurred edges, and the things that were previously well defined and in context lose their forms and distinctions, everything becomes one flat, 2 dimensional plane where distance is indeterminable, and the edge of one object is indistinguishable from the next. It's one big muddled, blurred mess of colour.
Outrage culture was like the coal that fed the hyperreality foundry that churned out simulacra after simulacra. The 2010s are inevitably going to be a disorienting and confusing decade that even historians will struggle to contextualize, there doesn't appear to be a unifying thread that runs through each individual event, it all appears random, because it is "random";
How did sexy female video game characters lead into trannies raping little girls in bathrooms? How did #occupy movements result in video game developers committing suicide over allegations of fish-hooking unfuckable game-thots in the pussy? No one will ever know, there is no connection, only insanity. We are, as a civilization, the living manifestation of the Allegory of the Cave. We're doomed to grope around in the darkness, rattling our chains, trying to define the shapes we feel in the blackness.
I am not hopeful.

Sithis

Dread Lord of the Void
kiwifarms.net
After a few days I guess I'll try to add more to this than a lame snarky joke, although that was the truth in some ways, I did a lot of drugs in the 2010s lol. I remember it all, just some of it may be viewed through an altered perspective that doesn't relate to the overall gist.

I think the best way to describe how I feel about the 2010s would be the speech Tony Soprano gives at the beginning of the Sopranos. I started to feel that way around the middle of the decade, maybe a bit earlier. Everything felt stale. It was like an existential crisis before I even had any right to have an existential crisis but I consistently had an overwhelming feeling that I had been born too late, that the best times I could have had were behind me, and that it was a downward slump from then on out.

Part of that could probably be blamed on my upbringing. I was brought up in a Christian household and though I wasn't going through boot camp learning bible verses or anything I absorbed a lot. So when I see the world and the direction things are going lining up so smoothly with what I have heard my entire life are signs that Christ is coming back and the world is close to being over, yeah, of course I started to feel like "what's the fucking point?" And the objective realist in me says "yeah that's just time going by and you're getting older, you're fine" but still I do feel like the sheer amount and combination of things that are lining up with scripture bears at least taking notice of.
But in retrospect I think even absent some end of the world chain of events, those of us who fall within the "early adulthood/adulthood" age range (probably most people on this site) honestly were just born on a down swing. History does not move in a straight line forward, it swings like a pendulum, rolls like a circle, whatever metaphor helps you get it. But there are ups and downs. The 80s through the 90s, though they had some minor downward trends, were overall a huge upward momentum period in human history. We hit plateau right around the turn of the millennium and stayed there until right around 2010 imo, we had a deep breath, then we began the big downward swing.
That explains why the time around 2000 seems to have been such a slow burn as it's been described ITT. We remember it clearly because we had ascended for several decades in all ways - technologically, socially, economically, etc - and we had a period of time to enjoy that. That time was very brief though, by 2001 the slope had begun to appear.
By 2011 we had passed the point of no return. The descent started somewhat slowly but a lot of people I have talked to seem to pinpoint 2014-2016 as a real turning point where progress was not only stalled but we were actively taking steps back. Now that feels even faster.
But tl;dr on that bit, I feel like we really are just living in an overall downward trend of history. Of course if that is true we should probably enjoy what we can while we can because the rock bottom point of the swings usually have fun events like "fall of rome" and "french revolution" and "world wars".