Were the 2010s a blur? - (putting the "zoom" in "zoomer")

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

Ongoing DDoS attack. kiwifarms.ru may work better for now.

were the 2010s a blur?

• yep

Votes: 91 75.2%
  • nope

Votes: 30 24.8%

• Total voters

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
2020 and 2021 seem more like one long year rather than two separate ones.
I've said it before, I see 2020-2021 as one year, even though at the same time the start of the coof feels long ago.

I guess the time blur is still going on to me.

Dom Cruise

Winter waifu, 1906 style
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't think it was a blur at all, but then, I'm probably younger than some of the people in this thread. In the 2010s I was finishing up high school and then going to university. For me, the time actually went very slowly and I can vividly picture what each year felt like individually. 2013 to me feels like a completely different world to 2019. The cultural changes that seemed to come around 2016 were so pervasive that it's difficult for me to look at those two years as even being part of the same decade.
2013 was the last hurrah for any remnants of 2000s culture, it is crazy to think 2013 and 2019 were in the same decade.

A few people have said it but there was one thing we had in the 2010-2015 period that we simply didn't have in the post-2016 period: Optimism. Regardless of what political background you were from, in the west at least, those first 5 years of the decade felt drastically more optimistic than what came after. People look back now and say "well we could see that X event led to Y", such as seeing that the Tumblr SJW fad led to the all-pervasiveness of woke and cancel culture in the late 2010s, but at the time no one could have known that. Similarly, someone of a progressive bent might look back on the Tea Party in the US or the rise of UKIP around 2013 in the UK and say "these were early signs of the rise of the alt-right", but it simply wasn't looked at in that way. 2010-2015 was a remarkably centrist era compared to now and most people looked at "the crazies" on both sides and dismissed them as if they would be short-lived fads. There was an optimism that most people had because they didn't believe the norms we had grown accustomed to could be broken.
One thing about the Tea Party is they never advocated for violence, meanwhile the left is all like " punch Nazis!" and "go out and riot"

To some degree our modern political zeitgeist did start with the Tea Party, but the left wing is who made things get so bad by bringing violence to the table.

One thing that people DID seem to overestimate and thought would drag on for years, but kind of didn't, was ISIS. Around 2014/15 it seemed to be the consensus that we were re-entering the War on Terror big time and that ISIS could establish itself as a major regional power in the Middle East that we would have to reckon with. But it ended up being a conflict that mainly played out in the background and, a few years later, dropped from the news cycle entirely.
Now that we're out of Afghanistan we are very much in a post-War on Terror era (or a post post 9/11 era if you will)

Covid fucked with everything too because it effectively put us in a cultural time-loop for 2 years
It's been a surreal as hell 2 years.

I've said it before, I see 2020-2021 as one year, even though at the same time the start of the coof feels long ago.

I guess the time blur is still going on to me.
2021 has gone by in a flash, I literally can't believe it's already almost December again already.

2020 on the other hand, when I think back to the early part of the year, feels so long ago it's absurd, 2019 feels like a long time ago too, longer than a couple of years has felt in a long time.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
2021 has gone by in a flash, I literally can't believe it's already almost December again already.

2020 on the other hand, when I think back to the early part of the year, feels so long ago it's absurd, 2019 feels like a long time ago too, longer than a couple of years has felt in a long time.
Maybe it could be like this: blur 2010s, slow 2020, and then a blur for some time after?