Western Animation -

Shokew

Trial by Fire! Trial by Fire!
kiwifarms.net
Meh. It's been a year.

That's enough time. The smart thing would be to bring it back in 10 years....
Or, we could just let it RIP like Regular Show will hopefully stay, because I love that example, as it is..... Or like Steven Universe badly needs to do once these Future episodes come and go, anyway.

And... As much as I did enjoy Adventure Time, warts and all, this reeks of shamelessness all around, honestly.

Nostalgia whores - not even once. Worst of all, nostalgia has not even set in proper yet for something like AT, so yeah - not a great move taking place here, even if the original crew is working on it. Some things you just need to move on from, and AT is one of them, indefinitely.

Floop

Accidental Spy Kids reference
kiwifarms.net
Or, we could just let it RIP like Regular Show will hopefully stay, because I love that example, as it is..... Or like Steven Universe badly needs to do once these Future episodes come and go, anyway.

And... As much as I did enjoy Adventure Time, warts and all, this reeks of shamelessness all around, honestly.

Nostalgia whores - not even once. Worst of all, nostalgia has not even set in proper yet for something like AT, so yeah - not a great move taking place here, even if the original crew is working on it. Some things you just need to move on from, and AT is one of them, indefinitely.
At least it’s not shitting on a dead guys legacy.

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
Tonight I watched the Rocko's Modern Life and Angry Beavers Halloween specials for the first time in years. I'd forgotten how good Angry Beavers was. (And how Tom Kane's voice for Oxnard Montalvo seems to be imitating Gary Owens, but that's beside the point.)

Only 90s Nicktoon Halloween specials I haven't watched are the ones I don't own, the Hey Arnold! and CatDog ones...

• Feels
Reactions: Shokew and goma

The Pink Panther

Ate Pinkly
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Tonight I watched the Rocko's Modern Life and Angry Beavers Halloween specials for the first time in years. I'd forgotten how good Angry Beavers was. (And how Tom Kane's voice for Oxnard Montalvo seems to be imitating Gary Owens, but that's beside the point.)

Only 90s Nicktoon Halloween specials I haven't watched are the ones I don't own, the Hey Arnold! and CatDog ones...
The Hey Arnold! one is pretty good. It parodies the 1938 Orson Welles reading War Of The Worlds paranoia incident. Pretty different for an All Hallow's Eve special.

Spit bucket

kiwifarms.net
So, Hazbin Hotel's out now:
Twitter's already cancelling it because there is NSFW fanart of an asexual character. Fanart. Shit that isn't even part of the show.
View attachment 988479
I'll give this a quick run down for anyone that cares. Positives I'll give it right away is that voice work for this is good, ( StamperTV, Tomamoto, Monica Franco and holy shit Maxwell Atoms??) and music direction is fine. And for negatives, to keep it short, this is a too many hands in the pot situation. Animation and styles is inconsistent and all over the place. Way too many and overused sound effects every time a character moves. I know this is a pilot but you need at least some consistency. I can see this going for an online series but I can't see this going to TV. And I know vivziepop has been the subject of ridicule from her bad webcomic but for the most part this isn't horrible..... yet.

Piga Dgrifm

Where are those good old fashioned values?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'll give this a quick run down for anyone that cares. Positives I'll give it right away is that voice work for this is good, ( StamperTV, Tomamoto, Monica Franco and holy shit Maxwell Atoms??) and music direction is fine. And for negatives, to keep it short, this is a too many hands in the pot situation. Animation and styles is inconsistent and all over the place. Way too many and overused sound effects every time a character moves. I know this is a pilot but you need at least some consistency. I can see this going for an online series but I can't see this going to TV. And I know vivziepop has been the subject of ridicule from her bad webcomic but for the most part this isn't horrible..... yet.
Yeah, this was kind of just all over the place with very little breathing room. I'm interested to see where it goes from here, though since there are elements I enjoy. I like Charlie and that radio demon, hopefully the next episodes get their bearings a little better.

Xandius Maximus

An incompatible combination of circumstances
kiwifarms.net
Twitter's already cancelling it because there is NSFW fanart of an asexual character. Fanart. Shit that isn't even part of the show.
I've got mixed feelings about this. Overall, the premise is interesting and the characters are endearing and somewhat memorable, especially Charlie and Alastor. But as many have said here before, the art style is extremely ill-defined and ever changing. I know this is a very unconventional project, but it can get quite disorienting when a character' or background's design constantly changes, even if it's just their outlines becoming thinner or slightly shaded. Some scenes look like they belong in AnonTheAnon's animations and others have elements that look straight out of Wander over Yonder. Speaking of character designs, a lot of the characters look incomprehensible, either because they have too much detail, too little detail, or a combination of both. It's almost like Viviziepop wanted to throw in everything but the kitchen sink, and decided to throw in the kitchen sink in anyway.

I'm interested to see what direction they take, but as for the pilot, it seems as though they got off on the wrong foot.

Shokew

kiwifarms.net
Don't think too hard about what I'm saying here (it's pretty fucking clear this show-to-be certainly isn't thinking all that much to begin with, honestly...):

I get exactly what they're going for here with Hazbin Hotel, I'll give it that (even if I don't agree too much with it; I am a flawed Christian, so yeah.): Hell is not eternal suffering, it is simply a place away from God's light - THAT MUCH? Not portrayed too badly here.

However, this is Vivz were talking about here: it's all style over substance. And whatever I'm getting at here with Hazbin Hotel, I know for a FACT is NOT what they're going for with it (whomever worked on it, that is alongside Vivz.).

As a result, it just feels like an inferior Wander Over Yonder, IMHO - and as much as I liked that show, even it didn't start out all that great (except Hater & Peepers, those 2 actually helped make that show great!).

It's all just style over substance - so you know it'll be a massive hit, even when it doesn't deserve to be, to tell the cold hard truth.

left arm

absolutely despise people tonight learn how to act
kiwifarms.net
It's all just style over substance - so you know it'll be a massive hit, even when it doesn't deserve to be, to tell the cold hard truth.
Even if it wants to be style over substance, that implies that there's something there for people who care more for the substance, even if it's pretty simple. I really don't see much here personally.

Anyways, small collection of my thoughts.
  • Pacing is a nightmare, feels as if too much happens, despite not much happening. The tonal whiplash from the intro and the first scene is really bad, I really don't know what this show wants to be.
  • God awful sound design.
  • "Ew I don't touch gays :mad: ." *Proceeds to touch Charlie* (We weren't shown Charlie was gay at all before that.)
  • Characters are either cardboard or one note jokes. Also all jokes you can see coming if you've seen any media ever.
  • Why should I give a shit. Like yeah, Charlie is doing this for hell's benefit, but let's be realistic, her attitude would get her killed in hell if she wasn't a mary sue protagonist. Also sending the population to heaven is a band-aid solution if you think about it, but uh, just don't think about it :).
I don't want to hate Hazbin Hotel, and I really do just give it a 'meh' more than anything else but I suspect I'm going to come to resent people blindly praising it as time goes on.

So let's laugh at the fact Vivzie got triggered by a bait account being critical of her work (look at the account name if you don't think it's bait) and accused a traditional artist of whitewashing because they didn't have the characters skin color in marker form (you have to scroll down and read the replies).

Shokew

kiwifarms.net
Even if it wants to be style over substance, that implies that there's something there for people who care more for the substance, even if it's pretty simple. I really don't see much here personally.

Anyways, small collection of my thoughts.
  • Pacing is a nightmare, feels as if too much happens, despite not much happening. The tonal whiplash from the intro and the first scene is really bad, I really don't know what this show wants to be.
  • God awful sound design.
  • "Ew I don't touch gays :mad: ." *Proceeds to touch Charlie* (We weren't shown Charlie was gay at all before that.)
  • Characters are either cardboard or one note jokes. Also all jokes you can see coming if you've seen any media ever.
  • Why should I give a shit. Like yeah, Charlie is doing this for hell's benefit, but let's be realistic, her attitude would get her killed in hell if she wasn't a mary sue protagonist. Also sending the population to heaven is a band-aid solution if you think about it, but uh, just don't think about it :).
I don't want to hate Hazbin Hotel, and I really do just give it a 'meh' more than anything else but I suspect I'm going to come to resent people blindly praising it as time goes on.

So let's laugh at the fact Vivzie got triggered by a bait account being critical of her work (look at the account name if you don't think it's bait) and accused a traditional artist of whitewashing because they didn't have the characters skin color in marker form (you have to scroll down and read the replies).
Yeah... THIS new thing right here: It is the exact same reaction to this day I ultimately recall having little to no love nor respect for high-school level BS like Star Vs. / Steven Universe in general; shows I wanted to like and honestly can't, even for the 1-2 good things I could talk about without getting annoyed at myself for NOT watching something else that's better, compared to those 2, anyway.

And yet, Too bad unlike those 2 examples I need to shut the fuck up about already, whereas I had hope for them to be consistently good in the past - I could already tell I was gonna be dissing hard on Hazbin Hotel from the very beginning. Not surprised, Vivz did make Zoophobia and that sucked major ass, so no surprises here nor there. I've just encountered something much worse, business as usual.

And despite all our negative criticism of it here ATM... You better believe people are gonna fall in love with it. Mark my words - and these people will become cancer on us all with it, too - saying THIS is gonna save Western Animation or some obvious BS / brutal lie similar to that much.

I guess I'll never get a proper thing in animated form that shows Hell not as a place of eternal suffering, but simply a place away from God's sight / light, as it is really meant to be portrayed without Biblical influence getting in the way - with how the world is, it was too much to hope for, honestly.

Last edited:
Tags
cartoons

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino