Western Animation -

goma

kiwifarms.net
HH pilot could have been better if so much time wasn't wasted focusing on unimportant (at the moment) side characters. Telling the audience that there are yearly purges is enough, I don't care about 3 characters and their turf war hijinks, it's not important now. A short blurb about turf wars taking place after the purge gets the point across. I think also instead of introducing Angel Dust the way it was done, there could have been a hard cut to AG fucking up once Charlie states she has one hotel guest being successfully rehabbed. But that one's just my personal taste.

Overall I see why it's popular with mostly teenagers. It says swear words without abandon and is irreverent to themes of Christianity. But beyond that, I don't think HH can be better than teeny bopper fodder. Swear words have the power to be hilariously or direly executed, or even characterize someone's speech, but when used like confetti it sounds very immature. And of course I don't believe Viv to be capable of handling religion-subverting themes without completely bungling it or making another Baby's First Atheist Rebellion.

Sayon

kiwifarms.net
WoY lost steam after Season 1 since Dominator didn't have personality besides "smug gurl who's totally smarter and betterer than the silly boys who care about silly stuff" with her hardly ever being the butt of a joke. And Wander became more obnoxious since he was actively sabotaging attempts to stop Dominator from his muh no violence and muh pairing (even though he had no problem with setting up Hater and his minions to get mangled in S1 like in the birthday episode).

Shokew

Trial by Fire! Trial by Fire!
kiwifarms.net
WoY lost steam after Season 1 since Dominator didn't have personality besides "smug gurl who's totally smarter and betterer than the silly boys who care about silly stuff" with her hardly ever being the butt of a joke. And Wander became more obnoxious since he was actively sabotaging attempts to stop Dominator from his muh no violence and muh pairing (even though he had no problem with setting up Hater and his minions to get mangled in S1 like in the birthday episode).
Thank you. Unlike whom I asked to politely explain, you nailed my thoughts exactly on it. I know you likely didn't mean to, yet thanks all the same.

Wander Over Yonder (warts and all aside) is still far superior to whatever Hazbin Hotel is trying and demonically outright failing to be, regardless.

Also, yeah - I fucking hate Dominator and just how much of a Mary Sue she truly and honestly is... S1 >>>>> S2, just because of that example alone, IMHO.

The Pink Panther

Ate Pinkly
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Explain yourself, then. I insist. Tell me why it was always great - if you can.
It was always great because the show is genuinely funny from the start. If you imply the start being The Picnic. It's simple, yet effective. It subverts tropes of two supervillains in a big battle with the interruption of one annoyingly helpful space creature and the comedy is within the interactions between the supervillain and the space creature. The dialogue is well-written to reflect the tonal differences as well as characteristical differences between the two characters and how they see the world while it also does a great job at contrasting and establishing comedic relationships between characters, particularly Lord Hater and Wander and Wander and Sylvia, with Wander's hyperactivity contrasting Lord Hater's exaggerated villainy and Sylvia's tomboyish laidback spirit (Commander Peepers is the best character though).

The show maintained this formula even through the second season with "muh Lord Dominator" and I think some of the episodes of the second season (particularly The Wanders, The It, The Eye on The Skullship, The Cartoon, and My Fair Hatey) is some of the best shit I've ever seen in terms of cartoons. It's one of few modern cartoons I can stand watching the whole way through because of the fast-paced gags, the great writing, the well-designed animation, and I humbly wish it got a third season.

Shokew

Trial by Fire! Trial by Fire!
kiwifarms.net
It was always great because the show is genuinely funny from the start. If you imply the start being The Picnic. It's simple, yet effective. It subverts tropes of two supervillains in a big battle with the interruption of one annoyingly helpful space creature and the comedy is within the interactions between the supervillain and the space creature. The dialogue is well-written to reflect the tonal differences as well as characteristical differences between the two characters and how they see the world while it also does a great job at contrasting and establishing comedic relationships between characters, particularly Lord Hater and Wander and Wander and Sylvia, with Wander's hyperactivity contrasting Lord Hater's exaggerated villainy and Sylvia's tomboyish laidback spirit (Commander Peepers is the best character though).

The show maintained this formula even through the second season with "muh Lord Dominator" and I think some of the episodes of the second season (particularly The Wanders, The It, The Eye on The Skullship, The Cartoon, and My Fair Hatey) is some of the best shit I've ever seen in terms of cartoons. It's one of few modern cartoons I can stand watching the whole way through because of the fast-paced gags, the great writing, the well-designed animation, and I humbly wish it got a third season.
..... And, honestly, that's all I needed to hear. I still hate Lord Dominator because she's a Mary Sue and whatnot (which, again - is why I prefer S1 over S2, even if S2 did still have plenty of positive things to say about, so as not to dismiss it outright, admittedly enough.), but yeah - this show truly should have lasted longer, I'll definitely give you that much. Disney made a mistake canning it so early, just because it started out as actually good simple comedy, while building itself up into something bigger like an actual good cartoon does, while having the properly strong writing staff to truly make it actually work!

So many shows out there (As much as I would love to say obvious examples, I won't, just to keep this nice & simple.) WISH they could do even remotely well what WoY actually did just about right, too.

And furthermore, it's just one more reason it's so easy to bash something deserving of it like Hazbin Hotel, as well - even if that's only just aired its pilot, which is even sadder to think about, really.

Last edited:
  • Feels
Reactions: The Pink Panther

The Pink Panther

Ate Pinkly
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
To dissuade away from the topic of WOY, I want to talk about Looney Tunes. Particularly Chuck Jones' Hunting Trilogy, a series of cartoons from 1951-1953 with the Duck Season, Rabbit Season routine with Bugs Bunny. Kiwis, which one was your favorite? Rabbit Fire (Duck Season, Rabbit Season), Rabbit Seasoning (Shoot him now or wait until you get home), or Duck, Rabbit, Duck (Multiple Seasons). Personally, mine's used to be Rabbit Fire plainly for the gags, but now I think mine is Rabbit Seasoning. Rabbit Seasoning has better dialogue, animation, backgrounds, as well as having the best routine involving the idea of shooting someone abstractly rather than just it being based on animal hunting seasons. Plus 1952 was the year of peak Chuck Jones.

Midlife Sperglord

Sperging over console gaming.
kiwifarms.net
Speaking of Western animation - tonight, I plan on getting stoned and watching Heavy Metal, which happens to be one of my all-time favorite Western animated feature films.

• DRINK!
Reactions: The Pink Panther

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
To dissuade away from the topic of WOY, I want to talk about Looney Tunes. Particularly Chuck Jones' Hunting Trilogy, a series of cartoons from 1951-1953 with the Duck Season, Rabbit Season routine with Bugs Bunny. Kiwis, which one was your favorite? Rabbit Fire (Duck Season, Rabbit Season), Rabbit Seasoning (Shoot him now or wait until you get home), or Duck, Rabbit, Duck (Multiple Seasons). Personally, mine's used to be Rabbit Fire plainly for the gags, but now I think mine is Rabbit Seasoning. Rabbit Seasoning has better dialogue, animation, backgrounds, as well as having the best routine involving the idea of shooting someone abstractly rather than just it being based on animal hunting seasons. Plus 1952 was the year of peak Chuck Jones.
I think all three were funny in their own ways. Admittedly "Rabbit Fire" is the one that's stayed in the popular imagination, but "Rabbit Seasoning" did something different and "Duck, Rabbit, Duck" took the season gag to new heights. ("I'm a fiddler crab! Why don't you shoot me?! It's fiddler crab season!")

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
I guess I'll never get a proper thing in animated form that shows Hell not as a place of eternal suffering, but simply a place away from God's sight / light, as it is really meant to be portrayed without Biblical influence getting in the way - with how the world is, it was too much to hope for, honestly.
There's always Gabriel Dropout Hell which is just a northern European-like town full of ordinary citizens who just happen to be demons and cute Cerberus puppies who grow to be as big as a bus in only a few months.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Speaking of Western animation - tonight, I plan on getting stoned and watching Heavy Metal, which happens to be one of my all-time favorite Western animated feature films.
It's also the last film that used traditional OG equipment for animation before 2d switched to cells and other modern equipment.

Fire and Ice and Rock and Rule are two other movies I would reccomend if you like Heavy Metal.

• Agree
Reactions: Midlife Sperglord

Jewelsmakerguy

(Cheesy 80s music intensifies)
kiwifarms.net
I don't know if anyone knows this, but the trailer for that Green Eggs and Ham Netflix series just dropped.

The Pink Panther

Ate Pinkly
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't know if anyone knows this, but the trailer for that Green Eggs and Ham Netflix series just dropped.
Jeez, man. That animation is alright.

What the hell made people think rhat this would be good for a buddy-comedy animated series? If anything, this should be a movie. Preferrably by Illumination so that chucklefucks on Plebbit can meme the shit out of it.

Jewelsmakerguy

(Cheesy 80s music intensifies)
kiwifarms.net
Jeez, man. That animation is alright.

What the hell made people think rhat this would be good for a buddy-comedy animated series? If anything, this should be a movie. Preferrably by Illumination so that chucklefucks on Plebbit can meme the shit out of it.
Well they spent $5 million an episode, it better have good animation.

Tags
cartoons

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino