Western Animation -

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It reminds me of Norm of the North in that regard- Clearly DTV material that somehow got a widespread theatrical release.
Someone was able to talk the talk to getting these on the big screen it seems. This is why I miss 35mm, they would never waste cash printing up hundreds to thousands of copies of this film on a blind whim that it would break box office records.

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I'm surprised it wasn't a straight-to-DVD piece of shit that gets buried quickly in that bin, it has all the earmarks of such a production.
I thought this was one of those uninspired factory produced Asylum things at first. No, there's actually real money behind this. Why the fuck would they think this was a blockbuster?

Someone was able to talk the talk to getting these on the big screen it seems.
That or there's some kind of scam going on.

Someone

Stop gendering genitals!
kiwifarms.net
For anyone curious enough to care:

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/box-office-report/arctic-dogs-bombs-worst-opening-of-all-time-in-2800-theaters-181858.html

‘Arctic Dogs’ Bombs, Worst Opening Of All-Time In 2,800+ Theaters
By AMID AMIDI | 11/03/2019 1:17 pm

This will be a surprise to almost no one, but Arctic Dogs received a frosty reception at the U.S. and Canada box office, opening in tenth place. No film in the history of cinema has ever opened more poorly on 2,800+ screens.
The film earned $2.9 million from 2,844 theaters. The previous worst-performing film in 2,800+ theaters was the Warner Bros. film Father Figures, which opened with $3.2 million in 2017.
Arctic Dogs was produced by Monika Bacardi and Andrea Iervolino’s Ambi Group and distributed by Byron Allen’s Entertainment Studios Motion Pictures (ESMP). It marked the first animated feature for both companies. When AMBI announced a distribution deal with ESMP last December, Iervolino said, “ESMP has outlined a masterful marketing and distribution plan that will allow this film to perform very well.”

The budget for Arctic Dogs is unknown. Ambi did not respond to an earlier Cartoon Brew request for comment.
Aaron Woodley, the director of Arctic Dogs, is no stranger to underperforming at the box ofice. The previous film he directed, Spark: A Space Tail, also played poorly with North American audiences, albeit on far fewer screens. The failure is more pronounced this time considering the scale of the release.
It’s not just audiences that ignored the film. Even film critics, who are obligated to review films good and bad, couldn’t be compelled to sit through Arctic Dogs. At the time of this writing, the film has just five reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, which we’d be willing to bet is the least amount of reviews ever published for a film opening on thousands of screens.
A couple other box office notes:
  • MGM/UA’s The Addams Family took fifth place in North America on its fourth weekend, with an estimated $8.2 million. Its creepy thematics held up well over Halloween, dropping just 31% from the previous weekend. The film has grossed a respectable $85 million domestic to date.
  • Makoto Shinkai’s Weathering with You launched in third place in China with a strong showing of $22.6 million. It has grossed around $160 million worldwide to date, and looks set to be one of the top 10 grossing animated release of the year even without a U.S. release. The film will launch in the U.S. through GKIDS next January.
It's a bit surprising for a furry-bait movie, really

• Agree
Reactions: Trilby

Jewelsmakerguy

(Cheesy 80s music intensifies)
kiwifarms.net
So I actually got around to watching Green Eggs and Ham recently, and I got to say. It's not as bad as I thought it'd be.
So first off, like everyone else I was pretty damn skeptical about the plot of this, but I will admit that it did keep me entertained and the expansions to the original source material were pretty decent all things considered. I did like that Sam-I-Am not being who he seemed all along was subtly hinted at throughout the series before the twist itself happened. Was not too fond of how they incorporated Fox and Mouse into the proceedings, as they come off as one note, though they don't overstay their welcome at least.

As for the animation, well you can certainly tell where a decent amount of the "$5-6 million per episode" budget went. The animation in the series is pretty damn good for something done in ToonBoom. There are a couple of places where the animation isn't as good (the CGI is a little spotty in areas, and they do resort to the standard tween-style of animating a few scant times, but I chalk that up to using multiple studios each episode), but for the most part it visually works. Also my original suspicions were correct, they did use Canadian studios for the series (I counted three), as well as Warners' go-to overseas house Snipple. I didn't mind the voice acting overall, so there's that too.

All and all, I'd give this a solid 8/10, as for a Netflix cartoon, and Warners' first on the platform, it's far better than most animated Netflix fare.

Ubiquitous

kiwifarms.net
looks very early to mid 2000's... which is a plus for me. God I miss that era. You had a pretty even mixture of action shows, comedies, action shows with comedy, and comedy shows with action.
I'm up to episode 7 of this show. It's like Jackie Chan Adventures for adults with occult themes with a hefty dose of gore - right up my alley! But there's still room for endearing cartoony antics (the scenes with the runaway finger, for instance).

Jesús reminds me of the main character from Megas XLR if he was a Mexican martial artist with a drinking problem.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So I actually got around to watching Green Eggs and Ham recently, and I got to say. It's not as bad as I thought it'd be.
So first off, like everyone else I was pretty damn skeptical about the plot of this, but I will admit that it did keep me entertained and the expansions to the original source material were pretty decent all things considered. I did like that Sam-I-Am not being who he seemed all along was subtly hinted at throughout the series before the twist itself happened. Was not too fond of how they incorporated Fox and Mouse into the proceedings, as they come off as one note, though they don't overstay their welcome at least.

As for the animation, well you can certainly tell where a decent amount of the "$5-6 million per episode" budget went. The animation in the series is pretty damn good for something done in ToonBoom. There are a couple of places where the animation isn't as good (the CGI is a little spotty in areas, and they do resort to the standard tween-style of animating a few scant times, but I chalk that up to using multiple studios each episode), but for the most part it visually works. Also my original suspicions were correct, they did use Canadian studios for the series (I counted three), as well as Warners' go-to overseas house Snipple. I didn't mind the voice acting overall, so there's that too.

All and all, I'd give this a solid 8/10, as for a Netflix cartoon, and Warners' first on the platform, it's far better than most animated Netflix fare.
Glad to hear it looks fine, though it looks like they're still not giving these Canadians any credit individually.
screencapture-twitter-cartoonbrew-status-1194022664349859840-2019-11-11-18_34_23.png

Jewelsmakerguy

kiwifarms.net
Will Forte's Shaggy sounds like shit.
He's not even trying to be a Shaggy. I mean as questionable the other choices are for Mystery Inc., they at least fit their parts fairly decently for what it's worth. Forte just sounds like he's trying, and failing, to sound like Casey during the first season and it doesn't work at all. They easilly could have just used Lillard or even Scott Innes for the role again, they at least know how the character's supposed to sound like.

Shokew

Trial by Fire! Trial by Fire!
kiwifarms.net

I... Almost want to watch this now, after hearing all of that. Too bad I still feel like I should be watching one of those old-fashioned joints from Dr. Seuss' books instead, unfortunately. I hope this does do well, however - knowing there is some actual love from the people behind it front-lining it, honestly. That's what anything animated based off these books need more of than anything.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I... Almost want to watch this now, after hearing all of that. Too bad I still feel like I should be watching one of those old-fashioned joints from Dr. Seuss' books instead, unfortunately.
At least Seuss was alive for those animated specials in the 70's.

I hope this does do well, however - knowing there is some actual love from the people behind it front-lining it, honestly. That's what anything animated based off these books need more of than anything.
True there, if only WB cared to credit these outsourced animators at all.

• Agree
Reactions: Shokew

Jewelsmakerguy

kiwifarms.net
At least Seuss was alive for those animated specials in the 70's.

True there, if only WB cared to credit these outsourced animators at all.
Unless it's Digital eMation, they rarely do. Even Snipple on other projects never get proper animator credits.

Though if we're being prefectly honest, this is an issue all across the animation industry as a whole. Not just an issue exclusive to WB. I mean if you look at any given anime, 9 out of 10 times you're not going to get animator credits for the inbetweening studios (or 2nd Key Animation studios). And the 80s rarely even credited studios, let alone foreign animators period.

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
Unless it's Digital eMation, they rarely do. Even Snipple on other projects never get proper animator credits.

Though if we're being prefectly honest, this is an issue all across the animation industry as a whole. Not just an issue exclusive to WB. I mean if you look at any given anime, 9 out of 10 times you're not going to get animator credits for the inbetweening studios (or 2nd Key Animation studios). And the 80s rarely even credited studios, let alone foreign animators period.
The brass never thought those guys in Korea and Taiwan deserved the credit... no matter how well the work was done.

Incidentally, have we all forgotten that today is the 20th anniversary of Courage the Cowardly Dog? And Mike, Lu and Og for that matter?

• Informative
Reactions: Shokew

Jewelsmakerguy

kiwifarms.net
The brass never thought those guys in Korea and Taiwan deserved the credit... no matter how well the work was done.
They did the same with the Japanese studios. Hell they still do over there with their shows.

Doesn't explain why studios in the UK, Canada and Philippines don't get animator credits all the time.

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
They did the same with the Japanese studios. Hell they still do over there with their shows.

Doesn't explain why studios in the UK, Canada and Philippines don't get animator credits all the time.
Presumably that's part and parcel of hiring some cheap factory style firm. It always struck me as pretty shitty behavior, though, considering a lot of these cheap animation farms actually have a distinctive look to them and it's obvious they do make a creative contribution.

Would it honestly be that much of a fucking hassle to flash a list of names for half a second during the credits?

IMO they just worry that if they do give these poor guys a credit they'll start charging more.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Jewelsmakerguy

Jewelsmakerguy

kiwifarms.net
Presumably that's part and parcel of hiring some cheap factory style firm. It always struck me as pretty shitty behavior, though, considering a lot of these cheap animation farms actually have a distinctive look to them and it's obvious they do make a creative contribution.

Would it honestly be that much of a fucking hassle to flash a list of names for half a second during the credits?

IMO they just worry that if they do give these poor guys a credit they'll start charging more.
Well, if this tweet is anything to go by, that could be the case (at least with the fucked up American system):

https://twitter.com/AWDtwit/status/1194322430241599488
(archive.li)

Tags
cartoons

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino