Western Animation -

• ATTENTION: The National Security Administration has made a press release regarding a Windows 10 remote execution exploit that any website can take advantage of. It is one of the worst exploits that has ever been found. Update Windows immediately.

NSA Press Release, "Am I vulnerable?"

Yaoi Huntress Earth

My avatar is problematic.
kiwifarms.net
Before Spongebob became a thing there was a point in time where Nick wanted to clean up it's act and be known for Disney-esque family friendly positive message shows. So all the stuff that's associated with classic Nicktoons kinda got the axe.

Rocket Power stuck around because it was inoffensive.
Which is interesting since (the times I've seen the show) the characters in Rocket Power were negative, unlikable jerks.

ShittyRecolor

Preferred pronouns: shit\shits\shitself
kiwifarms.net
Just found a YouTube channel that has episodes of my childhood favorite cartoon adaptation of Hungarian folk tales. What makes it even better is it's actually dubbed English, so now I can share it with all of you Kiwis:

Some of the episodes are kind of fake news, as The Three Little Pigs and The Big Bad Wolf is definitely not of Hungarian origin, but it's still a fun look into the kind of stuff that had shaped me during my formulative years (for better or for worse).

madethistocomment

welcome to god's mosh pit
kiwifarms.net

A very sweet short film about a father who learns how to do his little girl's hair for the very first time. Even though I'm not the same race as the dad and his daughter, they absolutely reminded me of me and my old man. Definitely worth a watch if you're in the mood for cute stuff.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just found a YouTube channel that has episodes of my childhood favorite cartoon adaptation of Hungarian folk tales. What makes it even better is it's actually dubbed English, so now I can share it with all of you Kiwis:

Some of the episodes are kind of fake news, as The Three Little Pigs and The Big Bad Wolf is definitely not of Hungarian origin, but it's still a fun look into the kind of stuff that had shaped me during my formulative years (for better or for worse).
I saw these a while back. I really got a kick out of watching them! Never saw anything that good as a kid (though that last story with the lady who goes naked probably wouldn't have flown well in the states).

The Pink Panther

Gonna Steal Yo' Food
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

A very sweet short film about a father who learns how to do his little girl's hair for the very first time. Even though I'm not the same race as the dad and his daughter, they absolutely reminded me of me and my old man. Definitely worth a watch if you're in the mood for cute stuff.
Nice looking movie. I like the simplistic design of a lot of African-American related art with the comfiness that comes within and I feel like this film did a great job at sort of capturing this essence. Apparently, it's based on a book written by an ex-NFL player:

1575594877861.png

Looks pretty nice. Looks like it has a lot of good detail within it as well as just small-time relatability.

ShittyRecolor

kiwifarms.net
I saw these a while back. I really got a kick out of watching them! Never saw anything that good as a kid (though that last story with the lady who goes naked probably wouldn't have flown well in the states).
Super glad you like them! The English narrator does an admirable job, even if he can't quite capture the cozy, wise-yet-lovable grandpa feeling of the original dub. Here's an episode in Hungarian with English subtitles:

And yeah, I don't think they have the balls to air some of the more risque episodes over here either. To think there was a time you could watch Dragon Ball uncensored at part of the afternoon kid's block over here! Now not even DB itself can get away with it, not even in Japan.

Another big favorite of mine is these feature length animated film spearheaded by Jankovics Marcell, possibly the most iconic figure of Hungarian animation, taking on the subject of Hungarian origin myths and even some early history:

The subtitles are hardcoded, but it goes away kinda fast here and there, so keep you pause button at hand just in case (though I'd say the eclectic art style far outshines the narration).

Reactions: Friendly_AI

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Super glad you like them! The English narrator does an admirable job, even if he can't quite capture the cozy, wise-yet-lovable grandpa feeling of the original dub. Here's an episode in Hungarian with English subtitles:

Incidentally some Americans may remember a few of these as a PBS show from the late 80's/early 90's played them called "Long Ago & Far Away", hosted by James Earl Jones. These episodes were narrated by Tammy Grimes. Unfortunately those episodes got blocked by the company that owns the original Hungarian Folk Tales series, no doubt wanting you to watch their version instead!
http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_37147E9308DE4265B0A46FC3FE1220B3

And yeah, I don't think they have the balls to air some of the more risque episodes over here either. To think there was a time you could watch Dragon Ball uncensored at part of the afternoon kid's block over here! Now not even DB itself can get away with it, not even in Japan.
It's sad to see an end of an era that way. Cable TV used to be like that to me back in the 80's as well. Nickelodeon used to play a lot of odd stuff I was watching like this.

Another big favorite of mine is these feature length animated film spearheaded by Jankovics Marcell, possibly the most iconic figure of Hungarian animation, taking on the subject of Hungarian origin myths and even some early history:

The subtitles are hardcoded, but it goes away kinda fast here and there, so keep you pause button at hand just in case (though I'd say the eclectic art style far outshines the narration).
I've heard a lot about Jankovics and the films he's made. One of these days I need to sit down and watch "The Tragedy of Man", which is his life's work I've read.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not to double post, but I discovered Nik Ranieri's student film from Sheridan was uploaded on YouTube! Worth checking out!

Nik talks about how this came about in this interview he did for the Animation Guild some years back, apparently it was part of a college mandate for Canadian content for an Olympics-related event...

Last edited:

ShittyRecolor

kiwifarms.net
Incidentally some Americans may remember a few of these as a PBS show from the late 80's/early 90's played them called "Long Ago & Far Away", hosted by James Earl Jones. These episodes were narrated by Tammy Grimes. Unfortunately those episodes got blocked by the company that owns the original Hungarian Folk Tales series, no doubt wanting you to watch their version instead!
http://openvault.wgbh.org/catalog/V_37147E9308DE4265B0A46FC3FE1220B3

It's sad to see an end of an era that way. Cable TV used to be like that to me back in the 80's as well. Nickelodeon used to play a lot of odd stuff I was watching like this.

I've heard a lot about Jankovics and the films he's made. One of these days I need to sit down and watch "The Tragedy of Man", which is his life's work I've read.
Wow, Hungarian folk tales and James Earl Jones? Sounds like a match made in Heaven! I shamefully admit I've never heard of Tammy Grimes before, but her narration is lovely. I always find it fascinating when they try to bring foreign animation into the American market (aside from the obvious Anime). I also remember catching some episodes of Spartakus and The Sun Beneath The Sea in English on CN, which was one of my favorite French cartoons as a kid. Hell, it still holds up really well today, the occasional weak animation and all the stock musical numbers notwithstanding.

I love Jankovics's material to pieces. The Tragedy of Man is really something else, with an art style even more eclectic than Song of THe Miraculous Hind. For those of you interested, it's also up on Youtube with English subs:

it can also be ordered as a DVD, though doing it overseas might be costly with all the shipping fees.

My personal favorites from Jankovics are János Vitéz (John the Valiant) and especially Fehérlófia (Son of White Mare). A couple years ago you could find them both on YT, but now it seems like you can only look up a few clips. The subtitles on those were either poor or nonexistent anyways, so I'll probably try making my own and upload them once I get the time. I did send Fehérlófia to SexuaLobster a few years ago, and he was quite impressed with its atavistic, psychedelic visuals.

Here's the first 6 or so minutes of Fehérlófia, just to give you a taste (without subs unfortunately). It's pretty trippy and the parts at 1:31-2:48 could be considered NSFW by today's standards (even if the heavily stylized art style hides much of it), but I think the visuals and sound design makes it worth watching.

As for you mentioning there not being stuff as good aired in the US, whether that's true or not, American cartoons of the '80s and '90s (and the early 2000s to some extent) were a huge of my childhood, and for that I'll cherish them forever (not to mention all the fantastic Disney\Don Bluth feature length animations).

Not to double post, but I discovered Nik Ranieri's student film from Sheridan was uploaded on YouTube! Worth checking out!

Nik talks about how this came about in this interview he did for the Animation Guild some years back, apparently it was part of a college mandate for Canadian content for an Olympics-related event...
Man, that was fantastic! Love that style of hand painted background, not to mention the satirical caricatures. The animation is very nice too, way more fluid than what you see in most recent western cartoon shows, and while it's not quite old Disney levels of fluid, the placement of key frames is very clever, making all the movement feel very snappy and deliberate. The humor is great too, there's something cathartic about political big wigs that are supposed to govern us for our sake, but make everything more miserable while only thinking about filling their pockets being depicted as lunatics taking part in Looney Tunes-esque antics.

• Agree
Reactions: Trilby

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wow, Hungarian folk tales and James Earl Jones? Sounds like a match made in Heaven! I shamefully admit I've never heard of Tammy Grimes before, but her narration is lovely.
I suppose she plays it off like a grandmother telling these stories to her grandkids. It's a good comparison if any.

I always find it fascinating when they try to bring foreign animation into the American market (aside from the obvious Anime). I also remember catching some episodes of Spartakus and The Sun Beneath The Sea in English on CN, which was one of my favorite French cartoons as a kid. Hell, it still holds up really well today, the occasional weak animation and all the stock musical numbers notwithstanding.
Surprised CN would air Spartikus. We haven't seen it over here since the 80's when Nickelodeon was playing the show. Would be nice to get a DVD release of it at all locally.

I love Jankovics's material to pieces. The Tragedy of Man is really something else, with an art style even more eclectic than Song of THe Miraculous Hind. For those of you interested, it's also up on Youtube with English subs:

it can also be ordered as a DVD, though doing it overseas might be costly with all the shipping fees.

My personal favorites from Jankovics are János Vitéz (John the Valiant) and especially Fehérlófia (Son of White Mare). A couple years ago you could find them both on YT, but now it seems like you can only look up a few clips. The subtitles on those were either poor or nonexistent anyways, so I'll probably try making my own and upload them once I get the time. I did send Fehérlófia to SexuaLobster a few years ago, and he was quite impressed with its atavistic, psychedelic visuals.
Reminded Jankovics also drew comics as well. He was also one of several directors for "Gustavus" as well that I enjoyed finding these episodes online.

As for you mentioning there not being stuff as good aired in the US, whether that's true or not, American cartoons of the '80s and '90s (and the early 2000s to some extent) were a huge of my childhood, and for that I'll cherish them forever (not to mention all the fantastic Disney\Don Bluth feature length animations).
I wouldn't doubt American cartoons would hold such memories for you as it had for many others. I can't deny that.

Man, that was fantastic! Love that style of hand painted background, not to mention the satirical caricatures. The animation is very nice too, way more fluid than what you see in most recent western cartoon shows, and while it's not quite old Disney levels of fluid, the placement of key frames is very clever, making all the movement feel very snappy and deliberate. The humor is great too, there's something cathartic about political big wigs that are supposed to govern us for our sake, but make everything more miserable while only thinking about filling their pockets being depicted as lunatics taking part in Looney Tunes-esque antics.
Politics is always this way.

• Winner
Reactions: ShittyRecolor

ShittyRecolor

kiwifarms.net
Oldie by internet standards, but a goodie nonetheless:

Rendering 2D characters in "realistic" 3D CG can often have catastrophic results dwelling deep within the uncanny valley. Here, however, it's done wonderfully.

Reactions: TchPiKinmup

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
So I’ve been doing a rewatch of the 2003 TMNT series mainly out of nostalgia. Currently I’m 4 episodes away from the season finale. Over all I’d say it’s held up... decently well. It’s rough in spots but overall a good first impression. The most impressive thing about the series is just how consistent it’s continui is. Not just in this season but for pretty much the entire series up to season five and to a much much lesser extent seasons six and seven (aka the part I’m dreading the most). It’s a series that really rewards you for sticking with it for a long time (for example a group of seemingly one off villains in season 1 return with a much more important role in reasons 4-5). It also amazing how much the show got away with. Sure theirs some a bit of censorship but considering that this was a 4kids productioni have no clue how they managed to get as much as they did past the radar.

Last edited:
Tags
cartoons

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino