Western Animation -

Private Pyle

I am...in a world...of shit.
kiwifarms.net
I'll find something I like. I always do - I still expect anime (and manga) to dominate what people really want to see for a long time. The way things are now only encourages more/a doubling down on SJWBS, political climate wise.

I expect streaming to continue to pick up the slack TV is royally leaving behind, honestly - just so it's not all anime (and manga). Comic books (which I don't really read but keep up with news about, regardless. )? That's a different story entirely...
Pretty much the only thing I’d hedge my bets on are Hazbin Hotel and Helluva Boss; they may not be the strongest writing wise but they’re visually interesting and I want to see where they go from there. The wait time will be unbearable given that it’s indie.

Cautiously optimistic for Owl House and Long Gone Gulch. SU is finally ending, meaning it’s truly an end of an era for 2010s animation. Otherwise, I’ll have to keep an eye for what’s streaming.

Pixy Misa

Your local evil magical girl.
kiwifarms.net
This might come as a surprise given I have an obscure anime character as an avatar, but I actually was more into western animation, but ever since Korra I think I've been increasingly frustrated with woke culture declining entertainment, and most western shows have disappointed me greatly with that decline.

I haven't seen Young justice mentioned but, although it was still good, it's third season went full SJW, and SU's final season is just meh mixed with even more wokeness.

I think I'm gonna transition fully to anime starting this year, and maybe watch any few western gems if they are any left (still like Rick and Morty/South Park), but I won't hold my breath.

Last edited:

Xandius Maximus

An incompatible combination of circumstances
kiwifarms.net
Anyone have any hopes for animation in 2020?
Not really. With declining TV ratings, increased politicization, and the fact that it's extremely difficult to produce high quality animated works unless they're established IPs. I don't foresee any particularly great cartoons being produced unless there's a major shift in the economics of the animation industry.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for contemporary streaming services being animation's salvation. The M.O for subscription-based streaming services is always going to favor quantity over quality simply because the business model encourages binge watching. Why make a few exceptional cartoons when you can make a a lot of "pretty good" ones that are bound to keep subscribers around for a while?

It's not all doom and gloom, however. There's going to be a growing undercurrent of indie animation like Hazbin Hotel and Helluva Boss, since they set the precedent for those kinds of productions not only being feasible but popular if made right. But unless their production values are as low as Final Space's, they're not gonna get get picked up.

For now, I'm gonna get stick to anime and web animation. There's still a sense of creativity and innovation present in both, and you can find a lot of hidden gems too if you're willing to sort the gold from the gravel.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
So, uh, was anyone here expecting Laika's Missing Link to win the Animated Feature Golden Globe?

I see lots of salt on Twitter from fans of both Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2. (I have no opinion, I never got around to seeing any of them.)

Xandius Maximus

kiwifarms.net
So, uh, was anyone here expecting Laika's Missing Link to win the Animated Feature Golden Globe?
Not one bit, considering who's running the Golden Globe Awards,
I see lots of salt on Twitter from fans of both Toy Story 4 and Frozen 2. (I have no opinion, I never got around to seeing any of them.)
Well, that makes two of us. I think I've reached the point I've become too jaded to care about whatever Pixar and Disney are doing anymore.

Archeops

Whispering seeds of doubt into the ears of troons
kiwifarms.net

I'm not that surprised to be honest, sequels have only won twice since the category was introduced in 2016 (How to Train Your Dragon 2 won in 2014 and Toy Story 3 won in 2010). I'm also shocked that they think either could win the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, not only have Academy Awards had an award for Best Animated Feature but only ONE film (Toy Story 3) won the category in the category's lifetime.

• Informative
Reactions: sasazuka

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net

I wasn't. I'm not entirely sure it wasn't a Pia Zadora type situation.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: sasazuka

Xandius Maximus

kiwifarms.net
There's this studio in France specializing in adult animation by the name of Bobbypills. They've made a few shows, but the most distinctive of them is Peepoodo and The Super Fuck Friends - an NC-17 parody of educational children's cartoons while also making fun of topics like feminism and homosexuality. And owing to France being the second-biggest consumer of manga in the world and anime being extremely popular over there, it's also very animesque (while making fun of weeb culture as well.) It's the kind of show you can't find on Adult Swim. I definitely enjoyed it, and I think you will too.

They've also launched a kickstarter for a second season.
The description of which reads:

Only you can make the second season of Peepoodo a reality!

Peepoodo & The Super Fuck Friends is an educational show aiming to explore sexuality in all its glory. It does so in an unbridled, positive manner and without any prejudice… with the ultimate message being one of tolerance.

The series was created and directed by Balak, an award-winning artist known for the graphic novel “Lastman” and the series “Les Kassos” (The Wakos). He is also the inventor of the “Turbo Media” format of storytelling, which he used for “Infinite Comics” published by Marvel.

The show is produced entirely in France, in our Bobbypills studio and is distributed for free on the web. Season 1 came out in 2018 and was released on the Blackpills platform, on YouTube (for a few weeks) and racked up over 7 million views. It’s fantastic! But there’s a catch: we lost our broadcaster and despite the show’s success, we haven’t been able to find a partner to help us produce the next season. Why not?

Because it’s “too sexual” for most platforms (such as YouTube, from which we got banned) and too “soft” for the adult platforms (we tried that too). Peepoodo doesn’t seem to fit in any box (not even Japan), despite the fact that people are begging us for a second season.

And so today, we turn to you: our fans. Crowdfunding is our only option. With your backup, we’ll be able to produce a new season and release it for free on the internet.

Let’s forget about broadcasters and produce the second season of Peepoodo together!

FluffyTehFennekin

“Special snowflake” is my brand
kiwifarms.net
There's this studio in France specializing in adult animation by the name of Bobbypills. They've made a few shows, but the most distinctive of them is Peepoodo and The Super Fuck Friends - an NC-17 parody of educational children's cartoons while also making fun of topics like feminism and homosexuality. And owing to France being the second-biggest consumer of manga in the world and anime being extremely popular over there, it's also very animesque (while making fun of weeb culture as well.) It's the kind of show you can't find on Adult Swim. I definitely enjoyed it, and I think you will too.

They've also launched a kickstarter for a second season.
The description of which reads:

Only you can make the second season of Peepoodo a reality!

Peepoodo & The Super Fuck Friends is an educational show aiming to explore sexuality in all its glory. It does so in an unbridled, positive manner and without any prejudice… with the ultimate message being one of tolerance.

The series was created and directed by Balak, an award-winning artist known for the graphic novel “Lastman” and the series “Les Kassos” (The Wakos). He is also the inventor of the “Turbo Media” format of storytelling, which he used for “Infinite Comics” published by Marvel.

The show is produced entirely in France, in our Bobbypills studio and is distributed for free on the web. Season 1 came out in 2018 and was released on the Blackpills platform, on YouTube (for a few weeks) and racked up over 7 million views. It’s fantastic! But there’s a catch: we lost our broadcaster and despite the show’s success, we haven’t been able to find a partner to help us produce the next season. Why not?

Because it’s “too sexual” for most platforms (such as YouTube, from which we got banned) and too “soft” for the adult platforms (we tried that too). Peepoodo doesn’t seem to fit in any box (not even Japan), despite the fact that people are begging us for a second season.

And so today, we turn to you: our fans. Crowdfunding is our only option. With your backup, we’ll be able to produce a new season and release it for free on the internet.

Let’s forget about broadcasters and produce the second season of Peepoodo together!
Considering this is the same country that made Totally Spies, I’m not surprised.

Shokew

Trial by Fire! Trial by Fire!
kiwifarms.net
Hate to break up this *clears throat* conversation, but the moment has come: Thundercats ROAR has arrived. ClownFishTV's Kneon and GeekySparkles watched it so we don't have to and SHOCKER, it's bad. (Warning: Geeky rants/yells in this one.) If anybody wants to watch the episodes themselves and share their thoughts, it's on the CN website.
....And water is still wet. Sorry for the lack of enthusiasm, but I'm not surprised - this had a doomed to fail vibe to it, anyway. Optimism would be in seeing it get buried a ditch after 10 episodes or less, honestly.

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
Hate to break up this *clears throat* conversation, but the moment has come: Thundercats ROAR has arrived. ClownFishTV's Kneon and GeekySparkles watched it so we don't have to and SHOCKER, it's bad. (Warning: Geeky rants/yells in this one.) If anybody wants to watch the episodes themselves and share their thoughts, it's on the CN website.
never trust a dude with a manbun

Tags
cartoons