Western Animation -

Private Pyle

I am...in a world...of shit.
kiwifarms.net
Could not agree more.
My money is on the (overdue) rise of steampunk or Genndy giving way to more adult cartoons that have the violence and sex compliment the story rather than overshadow it. (cartoons like Korgoth of Barbaria. shit was brutal and awesome.)
God what I wouldn’t give to see a steampunk revival. I’d also be happy to see dieselpunk and clockpunk rise in popularity.
It really does seem like adult animation might be going places with Primal and indie stuff like Hazbin Hotel. I just hope it’s not wishful thinking like the the 2010s.
As for what I would like see more in cartoons: actual historical settings. And not used for "everything in the past was racist and bad", just fun story set in realistic historical setting, and because of that having educational angle (important happenings affecting the story etc). Maybe my last post, where I mentioned World Masterpiece Theatre made me a bit nostalgic... but I would like to see small revival of this dead genre.
Or animated adaptations of classic books.

In France they recently greenlighted project based on fantasy book series and it looks awesome.
Glad to see France is still keeping fantasy alive in animation. This looks neat.
I think a big component in not seeing more period pieces and classic adaptations, in addition to “the past is problematic”, is that it’s simply too much research for a lot of people. But that’s just me giving a crackpot theory.

Private Pyle

kiwifarms.net
Bros. I'm marathonning the fuck out of Steven Universe on a deal from one of my friends and it sucks major titties.
I might not even be over yet; some cryptic comments from Sugar and Ian JQ hint they have something planned after the finale. Maybe not SU related but something nonetheless
That aside, I’d recommend Over the Garden Wall as a chaser once you’re done. It’s only 10 episodes, has a great setting and atmosphere, and top notch writing and character development for a limited series.

Last edited:

Private Pyle

kiwifarms.net
Well Steven Universe finally ended after seven years. If you loved it, this is a sad time for you. If you hated it, this is a happy time for you. If you didn’t care, you’re probably looking for something else to watch during quarantine.
That aside, I actually started watching Ballmastrz: 9009 and it’s better than I expected. It manages to be anime inspired without being obnoxious about it.

jellycar

50% Patty Hearst/50% Natasha Romanoff
kiwifarms.net
I think that's because a lot of those specific shows you mentioned were either heavily influenced by anime or were co-productions with Japan (such as was the case with Mysterious Cities of Gold) since TV networks in France, Italy, and several other European countries have heavily aired localized versions of anime since at least the 1970s, comparatively more than the few extremely localized anime that aired on English-language television in the United States and Canada before the mid-1990s.

Obviously, English-speaking North Americans did see some anime with serialization like Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato), Belle and Sebastien (Meiken Jolie, although Belle et Sebastien was the name of the original French novels that series was based on), and Robotech (Macross, Mospeada, and Southern Cross) air on television, but those were very occasional exceptions compared to the sheer amount of serialized anime Europe got on television.
Ohh Mitsuko Horie did the theme to belle and sebastian
She did tons of anime songs in the 70s and 80s and is still going lol

• Informative
Reactions: sasazuka

XtrmGamr719

kiwifarms.net
Well Steven Universe finally ended after seven years. If you loved it, this is a sad time for you. If you hated it, this is a happy time for you. If you didn’t care, you’re probably looking for something else to watch during quarantine.
That aside, I actually started watching Ballmastrz: 9009 and it’s better than I expected. It manages to be anime inspired without being obnoxious about it.
Ballmastrz: 9009 is literally balls to the walls with anime reference that you can tell that whoever is making it are a bunch of weebs and that you want to watch the shows they are referencing.

Deadwaste

it's 3 am go to bed you fuck
kiwifarms.net
Ballmastrz: 9009 is literally balls to the walls with anime reference that you can tell that whoever is making it are a bunch of weebs and that you want to watch the shows they are referencing.
can confirm this is true. one clip i saw they did the fucking torture dance from jojo

Shokew

Trial by Fire! Trial by Fire!
kiwifarms.net
Ballmastrz 9009..... Yeah. I'm hoping that show gets the third season it more than deserves for actually being a good show in it's own right (unlike Gay Space Rocks, for example.), simply due owed to knowing what it wants to be - an action-packed comedy that's also unapologetically a proper homage/parody of anime that are actually worth watching, admittedly enough.

Rick and Morty wishes it was this good, now that I think further about it...

Last edited:

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
Whelp seems the only major calarts shows left are High Guardian Spice, TTG, and Thundercats Roar. Sadly TTTG will stick around for at least a couple more years (a fact that I’ve begrudgingly made peace with a long time ago) . As for the other two Thundercats Roar is Likely to get cancelled and I’m expecting High Guardian Spice to be DOA. Overall I hope this signifies a change for the positive for the decade.

• Agree
Reactions: Trilby and Shokew

Private Pyle

kiwifarms.net
Whelp seems the only major calarts shows left are High Guardian Spice, TTG, and Thundercats Roar. Sadly TTTG will stick around for at least a couple more years (a fact that I’ve begrudgingly made peace with a long time ago) . As for the other two Thundercats Roar is Likely to get cancelled and I’m expecting High Guardian Spice to be DOA. Overall I hope this signifies a change for the positive for the decade.
Judging by the crossover episode (which ended with fuck the critics), it seems that CN is once again trying prop ThunderCats Roar as their TTG successor; it will most likely end up like the other reboots and fade out quietly.
From what little I’ve seen, the newer shows seem to be moving on from a lot of trends in 2010 animation; unique artstyles, tighter writing with less lore baiting, less preachiness, and representation that doesn’t feel forced. Then you have indie animation like Vivziepop’s pilots and Long Gone Gulch that have gotten tons of positive attention, also for good reason. Things have been quiet on the animation front so it remains to be seen how big any fo this will get.

• Agree
Reactions: Shokew

jellycar

50% Patty Hearst/50% Natasha Romanoff
kiwifarms.net
DIC did a series about trolls. trollz lmao.

I will say this tho about DIC is their voice talent is the best.

I always thought Ocean Group and others did better acting than the typical cartoons here (excluding Cree Summer, Scott Menville, Jennifer Hale, Charlie Adler, Tress Macneille, etc)

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
DIC did a series about trolls. trollz lmao.
I suppose calling it that probably made the name trademark-able. Of course I thought of the Danish troll dolls of the past and it seems these were girl types so it's pretty forgettable.

I will say this tho about DIC is their voice talent is the best.
I wouldn't doubt they probably got paid pretty well outside what meager salaries everyone else had.

I always thought Ocean Group and others did better acting than the typical cartoons here (excluding Cree Summer, Scott Menville, Jennifer Hale, Charlie Adler, Tress Macneille, etc)
They were certainly a Go-To studio for a lot of companies. I noticed they were on Baby Looney Tunes for gods sake.

EDIT: I stand corrected on the studio perhaps, but it is the same guys!

Last edited:
Tags
cartoons