Brit Crust

Most Fashionable Bitch In Tremorton
kiwifarms.net
It's back from the dead.
Genndy Tartakovsky’s ‘Popeye’ Movie Afloat with King Features

By
Mercedes Milligan
Published on May 11, 2020
https://www.animationmagazine.net/f...skys-popeye-movie-afloat-with-king-features/#
Animation icon Genndy Tartakovsky is teaming up with King Features to go back to the drawing board on his long-awaited Popeye animated feature, close sources have revealed to Animation Magazine. The Annie and Emmy award-winning, Golden Globe-nominated animation visionary directed Sony Pictures Animation’s hit Hotel Transylvania trilogy and created celebrated series Dexter’s Laboratory, Samurai Jack (both Cartoon Network), Primal (Adult Swim) and, in collaboration with Lucasfilm, Star Wars: Clone Wars (CN).

The film was originally announced for the Sony Pictures Animation slate in 2012, a few months ahead of the first Hotel Transylvania flick’s release and just before the studio set an overall deal with the helmer. An animation test for Tartakovsky’s “as artful and unrealistic as possible” CG interpretation of E.C. Segar’s classic character was revealed in 2014 (featuring the voices of Grey DeLisle and Tom Kenny). However, in a 2015 interview timed to the release of the HT2 trailer, the director revealed he was off the project, saying, “I was in love with what we were doing, but I think the studio is going through changes and I don’t know if they want to make the Popeye that I want to make.” Tartakovsky was set to move on to an original story, Can You Imagine? with SPA, but the project was canceled.

The studio later announced that writer T.J. Fixman (Ratchet & Clank) had been brought on to pen a new Popeye screenplay (a previous version had been written by The Smurfs scribes Jay Scherick and David Ronn).

Despite the spilled spinach over the first go at Popeye, Tartakovsky’s talent and the success of the Hotel Transylvania franchise spurred SPA to sign the director on for two original animated features in 2018, described as an R-rated comedy titled Fixed and an epic action-adventure à la Samurai Jack, called Black Knight.

Meanwhile, King Features has been making moves to bring some of its classic comics brands to new generations of fans with refreshed animated updates — as well as expanding acquired brands into the space. New 2D Popeye cartoons, Popeye’s Island Adventures, were launched on YouTube in 2018 to mark the character’s 90th anniversary. Last year, the company announced development of an animated series based on MDHR’s award-winning, retro toon-inspired game Cuphead.
Article/archive

Here's hoping it'll be as amazing as that animation test back in 2014. Or at least better than that sorry excuse of YouTube shorts.

Yamma Damma

Damma Doo
kiwifarms.net
I've got two pieces of animation news:

First one is Mao Mao is coming back this month with new episodes. My nephews will be very happy. (I'm happy too, it's a good cartoon that CN would be smart to promote now that SU is gone and Thundercats Roar is flopping.)

Second is Solar Opposites by Justin Roiland and Mike McMahan dropped on Hulu a couple days ago. I watched the first episode and it's definitely wobbling before it's standing. There's hardly any background music and scene transitions are non-existent (reminds me of how Vivzie's Helluva Boss pilot did that). I'll watch a couple more episodes later to see if it's worth any more time.

It's back from the dead.

Article/archive

Here's hoping it'll be as amazing as that animation test back in 2014. Or at least better than that sorry excuse of YouTube shorts.
Well blow me the fuck down. :drink:

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
Second is Solar Opposites by Justin Roiland and Mike McMahan dropped on Hulu a couple days ago. I watched the first episode and it's definitely wobbling before it's standing. There's hardly any background music and scene transitions are non-existent (reminds me of how Vivzie's Helluva Boss pilot did that). I'll watch a couple more episodes later to see if it's worth any more time.
WTF. When I first heard about it the guy relaying it mistakenly said it was Dan Harmon instead of Justin and that would have made tons more sense.
I thought Justin had more pride in his work than to just shit something out like this.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Yamma Damma

XtrmGamr719

kiwifarms.net
First one is Mao Mao is coming back this month with new episodes. My nephews will be very happy. (I'm happy too, it's a good cartoon that CN would be smart to promote now that SU is gone and Thundercats Roar is flopping.)
That's all I needed to hear. Because god damn do I want more of that show. Mao Mao (Mao) has surprising depth for what's possibly your typical shounen character.

Last edited:

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
It's back from the dead.

Article/archive

I was thinking this was going to be great back in the day when Sony could actually boast they had talented people like him working there. Then they canceled the film, and the talents all left, and you know the rest.

(Certain people raised a fuss that Popeye didn't have his pipe in the film. Will they still raise the fuss now?)

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
Unfortunately, more now than ever the ratio of people working in animation who'd rather be doing something else (live action obviously) is unlike any other entertainment industry. 95% of these "writers" would accept an offer to leave animation forever and write for "real" TV & movies in a heartbeat and boy does it show.

The only entertainment industry with a worse ratio of such careerist striver "writers" might be comic books; the 2010s were a nightmare onslaught of people who wanted DC or Marvel writing credits to put on their resume in hopes it would lead them to a deal with Netflix.

Yamma Damma

Damma Doo
kiwifarms.net
WTF. When I first heard about it the guy relaying it mistakenly said it was Dan Harmon instead of Justin and that would have made tons more sense.
I thought Justin had more pride in his work than to just shit something out like this.
:story: We're talking about the same guy here right? The guy who made a character named Mr. Poopybutthole, has a drinking issue like Harmon, and has stated numerous times he wants to fuck Summer who's a 17-year-old ginger? No this show is exactly what he would make.

Roiland is an animator. Harmon is a writer who's written for live-action TV. Like @Commander X said, most writers use animation and comics as a means to an end, be it another live-action gig or a production all their own. I bet he wouldn't do another animation project unless he had complete control again.

(Certain people raised a fuss that Popeye didn't have his pipe in the film. Will they still raise the fuss now?)
Genndy didn't give a fuck when cartoon spergs hated Jack and Ashi getting together and about how brutally violent Primal is. Why should he start now that his dream project is back in action? Not to mention I'm sure King and their investors have different demands compared to Sony so the censorship from the test may be lifted or eased up. At least I hope so.

• Feels
Reactions: BasiWep

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
:story: We're talking about the same guy here right? The guy who made a character named Mr. Poopybutthole, has a drinking issue like Harmon, and has stated numerous times he wants to fuck Summer who's a 17-year-old ginger? No this show is exactly what he would make.
Yeah, Roiland is messed up

...but that's the point! Pretty much the rest of the animations I've seen from him from his online days were all completely unmarketable and subversive. This new one just looks like him going through the motions.
Even in it's decline, Rick and Morty had several deliberate attempts to fuck with the fact it was on network television. Basing an entire episode off of a discontinued item from a big brand must have been a absolute legal nightmare even if the end result was complete shit (And not in a good way like Roiland's other work)

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
It's kind of iconic, and there's no reason he can't use it to inhale spinach, blow bubbles, or any other cartoonishly silly thing. He doesn't have to smoke and swear like the original Segar comics.

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
Genndy didn't give a fuck when cartoon spergs hated Jack and Ashi getting together and about how brutally violent Primal is. Why should he start now that his dream project is back in action? Not to mention I'm sure King and their investors have different demands compared to Sony so the censorship from the test may be lifted or eased up. At least I hope so.
Admittedly all that's true, but I wonder if we'll get to see the people who complained about the "wussification of Popeye" 6 years ago do it again.

It's kind of iconic, and there's no reason he can't use it to inhale spinach, blow bubbles, or any other cartoonishly silly thing. He doesn't have to smoke and swear like the original Segar comics.
I'm hoping that this version of Popeye is like the Segar comics come to life, myself. We don't just need Olive Oyl and Bluto - we need Wimpy, Geezil, the Sea Hag, Alice the Goon, Eugene the Jeep...

Last edited:

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I'm hoping that this version of Popeye is like the Segar comics come to life, myself. We don't just need Olive Oyl and Bluto - we need Wimpy, Geezil, the Sea Hag, Alice the Goon, Eugene the Jeep...
It's a bitch nobody has done Wimpy well in the memory of most people now living. I think they're afraid of a character that complex.

Tags
cartoons