Western Animation -

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
After it ended? I don't see how you could focus on the secondary cast then...

But, then again, they didn't really do that in the Disney episodes either.
My fault, I should've specified: I was more asking rhethorically why they didn't focus on it after Doug ended the first time around. As in, when it got picked up by Disney, why did they not focus more on them then instead of doing what they ended up doing and creating a worse version of Doug.

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
My fault, I should've specified: I was more asking rhethorically why they didn't focus on it after Doug ended the first time around. As in, when it got picked up by Disney, why did they not focus more on them then instead of doing what they ended up doing and creating a worse version of Doug.
Well, the fact is, the creator wasn't really involved with the Disney version as much as the Nick version, so it wound up being substandard.

Rinny.

a fhakin rat
kiwifarms.net
Honestly I'm really looking forward to that!
I enjoyed it alot and It was a really refreshing show to me and not what i expected when I first got into it, really happy it'll get a second season.

Reactions: Yamma Damma

Private Pyle

I am...in a world...of shit.
kiwifarms.net
Remember Tuca and Bertie on Netflix?
Remember the studio that made it and BoJack unionized and immediately afterwards got cancelled?
Well [adult swim] took the birds and gave Netflix THE bird, second season is coming in 2021.

View attachment 1313242
This has to be the most genuinely surprising news I’ve seen today. It’s hilarious that cable tv is picking up the slack for a Netflix show but par for course with [as].

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
Feel free to correct me on this one but wasn't Tuca basically a compilation of all the worst stereotypes of female comedy? (The animation style is pretty bad too although I will give them props for actually having semi-accurate musculature instead of the standard tubes for arms and legs. Those teds are terribly drawn though and have the same depth problems as the main character's beak)

• Agree
Reactions: Fagnacious D

Rinny.

a fhakin rat
kiwifarms.net
Feel free to correct me on this one but wasn't Tuca basically a compilation of all the worst stereotypes of female comedy? (The animation style is pretty bad too although I will give them props for actually having semi-accurate musculature instead of the standard tubes for arms and legs. Those teds are terribly drawn though and have the same depth problems as the main character's beak)
That's kind of how I felt about it until I decided to actually sit down and watch it. It took me a couple episodes in to start appreciating it. I wouldn't say it's for everyone but it's unique and endearing in its own way.

Yeah it's not the prettiest cartoon out there but there were some segments that utilized other types of art styles and animation techniques such as claymation so that was neat

goma

kiwifarms.net
While I wouldn't call T&B highbrow, it does take initially shallow concepts and characters and refines them. I almost didn't realize this; I thought it was a stupid and boring show after one episode. But I eventually watched more out of curiosity about the hype, and didn't regret it. It's a nice little time spent.

• Feels
Reactions: Yamma Damma

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
Tuca & Bertie, the animation equivalent of an adult coloring book. Sorry, I just don't care for this sort of thing, and that the people hyping it up the most, crying about how it had legions of (nonexistent) fans and it was horrible that it was cancelled, a travesty of justice, were the sort of people these sorts of shows are mostly made by and made for: a tiny minority of extremely online striving careerist Pronouns-In-Bios, WOCs, and Karens who have infested the animation industry, and "professional" writers who don't think or care about animation unless it threatens to upstage their precious scripts.

Last edited:

Syaoran Li

White Trash Degenerate
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not sure if I ever mentioned this before, but does anyone ever remember the old HBTV music videos from back in the day? I used to have some of them on VHS when I was a little kid.

Back in the mid-late 80's, there were these videos that were essentially the Hanna-Barbera version of AMV's but were officially licensed as it were. You had clips of Hanna-Barbera set to hit songs, mostly oldies hits or classic rock.

They occasionally aired during commercial breaks on Saturday morning cartoons or on Cartoon Network in the early 90's when it was mostly a cartoon oldies channel. Eventually, the videos were all compiled onto VHS tapes and released in the 90's.

Each one had a theme or a specific genre, like "Old Time Rock & Roll" that focused on the hits of the 50's and 60's, "Country Rock" focused on Southern rock and country crossover artists, while "Rock & Soul" focused more on classic R&B and soul music.

I think you also had a "New Classics" that focused on relatively more recent hits from the late 70's and early 80's.

I remember owning the Country Rock and Old Time Rock & Roll tapes as a kid and I would not be surprised if that had a role in how my musical tastes developed. Used to watch them all the time as a kid, even rented the Rock & Soul one from a local video store a few times in the day.

• Informative
Reactions: goma and Mr. 0

Guts Gets Some

Don't lose your way
kiwifarms.net
This might come as a surprise given I have an obscure anime character as an avatar, but I actually was more into western animation, but ever since Korra I think I've been increasingly frustrated with woke culture declining entertainment, and most western shows have disappointed me greatly with that decline.

I haven't seen Young justice mentioned but, although it was still good, it's third season went full SJW, and SU's final season is just meh mixed with even more wokeness.

I think I'm gonna transition fully to anime starting this year, and maybe watch any few western gems if they are any left (still like Rick and Morty/South Park), but I won't hold my breath.
Oh my god, you just made me realize: Korra was woke before woke was the hip thing to do. It's only now that they have the proper freedom in comics is it coming out in full force now.
God, what happened to Mike and Bryan? I'm even more convinced now that TLA was only good because of Ehaz's structure of it.

As for western gems.... yeeeeah, I really don't count South Park in that anymore. I mean, I haven't described SP as good since 2004, if I'm being totally honest, and it became completely unwatchable for me around 2010.

I've seen where it's at now, and yikes:

Agent Wet

Trash
kiwifarms.net
You know I have been thinking of Miyazaki’s quote of the current state of anime and I think that it can equally apply to how modern western animation is these days. Full of people who can’t stand looking at others and an industry full of fanboys.
I feel that can be applied to most of the entertainment industry in the west look at comics alone for example some writers want the characters to be just like what they seen while growing up while others like to tear each other apart especially in these days with social media giving people a huge ego for nothing and thats right before any of the current political correctness bs. Same thing with gaming too only difference is amount of people you see blindly consume products and accept the fact some people don't like or agree on everything. it doesn't help it usually devolves a industry into a glorified club house especially with both comics and animation to the point where if you don't kiss the ass of someone you get no job.

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
Oh my god, you just made me realize: Korra was woke before woke was the hip thing to do. It's only now that they have the proper freedom in comics is it coming out in full force now.
God, what happened to Mike and Bryan? I'm even more convinced now that TLA was only good because of Ehaz's structure of it.

As for western gems.... yeeeeah, I really don't count South Park in that anymore. I mean, I haven't described SP as good since 2004, if I'm being totally honest, and it became completely unwatchable for me around 2010.

I've seen where it's at now, and yikes:
Is Dobson still on about the ending?

IdaRita

draw problematic pretty ppl
kiwifarms.net
I get what Miyazaki meant about the industry, but his words could be easily misunderstood that going into animation, because you are a fan and you would be happy working in industry you are passionate about is bad.
Most of people get into art studies, because they are charmed by arts of others - movies, video games, paintings or cartoons. It's normal. I went into animation because of many favourite cartoon shows and liking stylized art styles and studing movement.

This is about very specific way of fanboyism, perfectly being shut in the studio 24/7 and hate contact with other people and you don't know how to create authentic stories.

Tags
cartoons