Western Animation -

Bread Fetishist

Public enemy to bakers everywhere
kiwifarms.net
By the time Timmy got a dog I had long outgrown The Fairly Oddparents, so I can't muster any reaction stronger than "eh." Watching the baby doll stomp its Flash-tweened legs and spout ultra tame gender jokes is vaguely amusing in its novelty but ultimately a nothingburger of a moment. I guess that's what happens when you don't compulsively look for things to find offense in.

I capped some choice tweets from that thread as well as a second tweet made by the OP (they link to it below the video they posted):

Twitter stupidity is fascinating, but it's also really fucking exhausting. I'm glad I don't use it anymore, I have more important things to do than let children's cartoons affect my self worth and identity.
I mean, if they’re letting tame jokes from a children’s cartoon affect their very livelihood to point of wanting it banned for being “harmful”, perhaps depicting them as babies is rather fitting.

Yamma Damma

Damma Doo
kiwifarms.net
What caused the animation fandom to go down this route? Was it Steven Universe?
No SU continued and worsened the trend. But I think it did start at CN.

If memory serves me right, it began when CN had a live-action block that cartoon spergs from around the world ranted about how important animation is and what standards it needs to be good. CN heard them loud but not clear because eyesores like The Problem Solverz were getting greenlit while winners like the DC Nation pilots were left to rot. When internet got speedier and social media got powerful, cartoon fans harnessed the power of "fandoms" to get rejected pilots into full shows like Uncle Grandpa, Infinity Train and OK KO.

Of course this power came with a cost, and that cost was retards who can't separate reality from fiction (SU fans driving a chick to near suicide over skinny Rose art, Voltron fans blackmailing staffers to make their ship canon or get spoilers leaked, MOTHER. FUCKING. BRONIES.) and spoiled fucks who are never satisfied (No trannies in SU, Mao Mao and Badgerclops not being gay, that unicorn episode from NuPPG)

The FOP clip backlash is a combination of both. They're retarded thinking this hurts nobinaries and spoiled as fuck for wanting the whole damn show removed from history. Luckily it's only western cartoons that get this. They keep trying to turn anime into the same thing and thankfully keep failing. Their dedication would be admirable if it weren't so hilarious and sad. 🚬

Invisible Crane

Grant McClellan
kiwifarms.net

If memory serves me right, it began when CN had a live-action block that cartoon spergs from around the world ranted about how important animation is and what standards it needs to be good. CN heard them loud but not clear because eyesores like The Problem Solverz were getting greenlit while winners like the DC Nation pilots were left to rot. When internet got speedier and social media got powerful, cartoon fans harnessed the power of "fandoms" to get rejected pilots into full shows like Uncle Grandpa, Infinity Train and OK KO.

Of course this power came with a cost, and that cost was retards who can't separate reality from fiction (SU fans driving a chick to near suicide over skinny Rose art, Voltron fans blackmailing staffers to make their ship canon or get spoilers leaked, MOTHER. FUCKING. BRONIES.) and spoiled fucks who are never satisfied (No trannies in SU, Mao Mao and Badgerclops not being gay, that unicorn episode from NuPPG)

The FOP clip backlash is a combination of both. They're retarded thinking this hurts nobinaries and spoiled as fuck for wanting the whole damn show removed from history. Luckily it's only western cartoons that get this. They keep trying to turn anime into the same thing and thankfully keep failing. Their dedication would be admirable if it weren't so hilarious and sad. 🚬
Leave bronies alone! Bronies forever!
20200708_092247.jpg

XtrmGamr719

kiwifarms.net
Someone who has Pulp Fiction should not have fucking ponies.

Just saying.
Actually I think they had a Pulp Fiction reference in the form of background cameos as ponies.

There was like plenty of references to old movies in the form of background cameos.

EDIT: I stand corrected.

It’s one background reference
1594216742076.jpeg

And a rather obvious reference
1594216774317.jpeg

Last edited:

-4ZURE-

Kill Every Last One of Them!
kiwifarms.net
SU fans driving a chick to near suicide over skinny Rose art, Voltron fans blackmailing staffers to make their ship canon or get spoilers leaked, MOTHER. FUCKING. BRONIES
From what I have seen, I would not place Bronies in that category. They are bad, but it is more to the level of general Sonic stupidity and lolcow than it is SJW. Atleast I can laugh at the absurdity of Bronies, SU fans just make me scared at how people can really think they are in the right and how society will treat them as such.

This is a bit untrue. I think the real downfall was 2013-2014. Before the animation community was pretty tame. I mean, the only real voices of it were BenTheLooney who was considered a lolcow and commentary fodder even back then, then we had PieGuyRulz who was normal, and finally Pan who was definitely the dirty channel unafraid to make jokes. I think the introduction of Nostalgia Critic clones that get overly worked up via Mr Enter was were the downfall into the sensitive community happened. The downfall of Tumblr from nerdy-fandom site to SJW hub in 2013 also played a part as the animation community primarily took to Tumblr in the early 2010s. With Gamergate and general losers who blame their lives sucking on patriarchy entering the internet and Tumblr in 2013, they must have infiltrated a good portion of the community. Prior to this, animation was actually fun, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gumball, and older programs were actually gaining notoriety and the community was decently normal and able to poke fun of itself. I think the NC clones were the real drop as they pushed for animation to be seen as an art form and push shows based on adult themes and not being a comedy, taking all the fun out of the medium.

Ehh... I will go 50/50 on this.

CN was the reason for the animation community in the first place. Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gumball, Generator Rex, Symbiotic Titan, older programming, and I would also claim Total Drama, birthed the community. MLP and others came a year, or years after the animation community was already chugging. I believe CN contributed poorly in the fact that they released Teen Titans Go and Steven Universe. While I love TTG, it was the beginning of the whole, “shows were better in my generation and kids are smarter than corporations think”, mentality. In comparing it to the original many held up the original to a ridiculous degree solely because it had dark themes, starting this trend of reviewers looking for “substance“ not comedy. Steven Universe came out later the same year, and just added to that issue as it played into controversial sex politics while offering darker story telling. While tasteful for the first 1-2 seasons (I cannot remember when the invasion story happened?) it quickly devolved but the animation community was too far up to realize that they are liking trash solely based on a need to be adult.

Last edited:

-4ZURE-

kiwifarms.net
Do any of you remember what the animation community was like before then? It was just as autistic. There were John K. fanboys all over the place.
No, I joined in 2010 as I am a Gen X scrub, so I can only recount what it was like during the last decade. From what I remember, the 2010-2014 era was prime animation community. The only bad part was Bronies, though the animation community was lucky in that MLP grew big enough to kind of have its own fan base and severe ties with the at the time CN fandom. Best way to describe early 2010s was it was comprised of fans of primarily CN. They also used to bash SpongeBob and Family Guy a lot, and kind of adopted some anime, primarily the rather overlooked for being too American, Panty & Stocking, into their community. Other than that, you had the whole hipster Disney Princess thing on Tumblr along with Avatar and plenty of 90s-2000s shows.

Honestly kind of miss the old community. They were well woven into the gaming and commentary community giving them more of a presence. I also loved the attention they used to have to more obscure pieces. I personally learned about The Gregory Horror Show through Mr. Enter before he went off the deep end.

To get back to your question, I do not remember John K’s influence, but it does not surprise me. Other than him, it seemed that the early years were comprised of Invader Zim/Nightmare Before Christmas goths, Batman the Animated Series worshipers, Disneyphiles, and the growing Laikia Coraline worshipers.
(Edit: I guess there was also the people who took South Park as gospel)

Jewelsmakerguy

Domo Arigato
kiwifarms.net
Actually I think they had a Pulp Fiction reference in the form of background cameos as ponies.

There was like plenty of references to old movies in the form of background cameos.

EDIT: I stand corrected.

It’s one background reference View attachment 1435329
And a rather obvious reference
View attachment 1435331
Yeah, but they were expecting parents to get the reference. Not manchildren.

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
CARTOONS...about ADULTING?

ds.jpg

tr.jpg

What is that crap at the right? Is that just some show where they put a filter over live-action actors and called it animation?

It is unfortunate the idea that the only animation for adults is "sitcoms" has become entrenched in the industry for decades now. At least, once, "animated sitcoms" were made by people who assumed their audiences were semi-capable adults. What I saw of JG Quintel's new family sitcom show for HBO Max is that, at least, while it feels kind of flimsy and cheap with a bit too much focus on the 'talking heads' style (apparently it was originally intended to be a 22-minute episode show but that was changed to 11-minute episodes) at least it's not filled with lame messages for arrested adolescents in their thirties like "it's okay to feel sad sometimes" or "remember to drink enough water" and the characters while not fully sketched out (11-minute runtime doesn't help) aren't as pathetic as the characters on your average Netflix animated sitcom.

Cap_ture.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

-4ZURE-

kiwifarms.net
CARTOONS...about ADULTING?

View attachment 1443252
View attachment 1443257

What is that crap at the right? Is that just some show where they put a filter over live-action actors and called it animation?

It is unfortunate the idea that the only animation for adults is "sitcoms" has become entrenched in the industry for decades now. At least, once, "animated sitcoms" were made by people who assumed their audiences were semi-capable adults. What I saw of JG Quintel's new family sitcom show for HBO Max is that, at least, while it feels kind of flimsy and cheap with a bit too much focus on the 'talking heads' style (apparently it was originally intended to be a 22-minute episode show but that was changed to 11-minute episodes) at least it's not filled with lame messages for arrested adolescents in their thirties like "it's okay to feel sad sometimes" or "remember to drink enough water" and the characters while not fully sketched out (11-minute runtime doesn't help) aren't as pathetic as the characters on your average Netflix animated sitcom.
God, I miss adult animation of pre-Rick & Morty.
Also, I thought that bird show got canceled. Tuca and Birdie was it? I have no idea, I just remember some feminist going off about how progressive it is because it deals with adult topics like sexual assault and has tasteful nudity, whatever that means?

Remember when adult cartoons were funny instead of trying to be deep and depressing. I kinda miss the days of King of The Hill, Clone High, Drawn Together, and American Dad. Nowadays, the only adult shows that are remotely interesting are Mike Tyson Mysteries, The Harley Quinn Show (1st season), and whatever Gennedy works on be it Samurai Jack or Primal.

{o}P II

🦔🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾
kiwifarms.net
God, I miss adult animation of pre-Rick & Morty.
Also, I thought that bird show got canceled. Tuca and Birdie was it? I have no idea, I just remember some feminist going off about how progressive it is because it deals with adult topics like sexual assault and has tasteful nudity, whatever that means?

Remember when adult cartoons were funny instead of trying to be deep and depressing. I kinda miss the days of King of The Hill, Clone High, Drawn Together, and American Dad. Nowadays, the only adult shows that are remotely interesting are Mike Tyson Mysteries, The Harley Quinn Show (1st season), and whatever Gennedy works on be it Samurai Jack or Primal.
Tuca and Bertie ran for one season Netflix but i assumed was shunned by most people after realising it was not a Bojack Horseman spin-off.

Recently got green lit for another season on Adult Swim

Reactions: Yamma Damma
Tags
cartoons