Western Animation -

Shokew

Trial by Fire! Trial by Fire!
kiwifarms.net
For the past year, I’ve been getting into OK K.O! Let’s be Heroes! It’s by no means perfect and I’m aware that not everyone likes the art style, but there’s something about the pencil/crayon-drawn outlines that make it look charming. I also think that different writer/boarder teams for each episode is an interesting setup (when done right)- after a while, you can tell them apart by their own visual means to let the characters emote. I do wish the show would give some secondary characters like Dendy more development rather than just use them as plot devices.
I like OK K.O. far more than anything SU, honestly. Treating it as is, it's just a fun little show to kill time with for me - the kind that CN could always use more of.

However, yeah - that art-style is not a standard to strive for, even if the animation sometimes for fight scenes is actually pretty good. I think the pilot (Lakewood Plaza Turbo)'s artstyle would have been a better choice, as while it was pretty simplistic itself, it still felt like something unique and original. A sense of soul that isn't all that detectable in the final product for me.

As a result of the pilot's style being tossed out for the final product, this is why I personally think CN should aim to do better by, in the future, taking on people with more original ideas - as in not trying to make so many damn love letter references to anime most of the time (especially something they do that - again, I find rather annoying in SU, for example...), while also at the same time, not relying on cheap art-style decisions, especially.

Pina Colada

Spoopy sexy skeletitties
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think the pilot (Lakewood Plaza Turbo)'s artstyle would have been a better choice, as while it was pretty simplistic itself, it still felt like something unique and original. A sense of soul that isn't all that detectable in the final product for me.

As a result of the pilot's style being tossed out for the final product, this is why I personally think CN should aim to do better by, in the future, taking on people with more original ideas - as in not trying to make so many damn love letter references to anime most of the time (especially something they do that - again, I find rather annoying in SU, for example...), while also at the same time, not relying on cheap art-style decisions, especially.
The only thing I didn't like about the pilot's art style were the sausage noses, but I can look past it as an overall better visual than the final product.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
It looks like the Laika movie Missing Link just barely failed to unseat Lucasfilm's Strange Magic as being the animated film in "super-saturation wide release" (over 3000 screens) with the lowest "domestic" (North American) opening weekend ever.

Strange Magic is at #10 on the list of Worst Wide release openings (over 3000 screens) with $5,504,441 while Missing Link is at #11 with $5,841,434.

Before anyone mentions the infamous Delgo and its abysmal $511,920 opening weekend, that was only released on 2160 screens. So, at least Missing Link earned over ten times as much as Delgo, I suppose.

EDIT: Whoops, Missing Link is a Laika and not an Aardman movie. I legitimately thought it was Aardman somehow.

Last edited:

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
Take a look at this documentary - it's about the friendship between Gabor Csupo and Frank Zappa. It's an amazing story.

Clockwork_PurBle

"I got a B+ in lurking!"
kiwifarms.net
Can we get some love in the chat for The Brave Little Toaster?

John Lasseter is...toast now, but the film is significant in that this was the first CGI film he pitched. He was also supposed to direct it, but that fell through.

Steamboat_Bill

Going to beat the record of the Robert E. Lee
kiwifarms.net
Can we get some love in the chat for The Brave Little Toaster?

John Lasseter is...toast now, but the film is significant in that this was the first CGI film he pitched. He was also supposed to direct it, but that fell through.
I like it, needless to say. Nothing with Jon Lovitz and Phil Hartman in it is terrible.

The story is apparently he pitched it to Disney, but Disney didn’t want to do it because no one was going to watch a film about a toaster.

It got made at Hyperion Pictures, which was founded by ex-Disney people, and it was such a cult hit that they made two sequels, neither of which is worth your time.

• Agree
Reactions: Trilby

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I like it, needless to say. Nothing with Jon Lovitz and Phil Hartman in it is terrible.
Don't forget Thurl Ravenscroft! To me, he's the voice of God himself!

The story is apparently he pitched it to Disney, but Disney didn’t want to do it because no one was going to watch a film about a toaster.
And I could see why.

It got made at Hyperion Pictures, which was founded by ex-Disney people, and it was such a cult hit that they made two sequels, neither of which is worth your time.
Nope! They definitely were below average for what the original film achieved. Always find it odd 'The Master" ended up a country veterinarian in the end but I suppose it makes some sense he'd go for that line of work.

Clockwork_PurBle

"I got a B+ in lurking!"
kiwifarms.net

Fun fact: BLT (lol) is actually based on a book. The second film, BLT to the Rescue, was not based on a book. The third one, BLT Goes to Mars, the most hated one, is though.

I liked the second one.

Don't forget Thurl Ravenscroft! To me, he's the voice of God himself!
Thurl Ravenscroft! He's grrrreat!

Nope! They definitely were below average for what the original film achieved. Always find it odd 'The Master" ended up a country veterinarian in the end but I suppose it makes some sense he'd go for that line of work.
Makes sense a kid with such an affection and concern for the lives of (supposedly) inanimate objects would extend his love to the living creatures.

• Informative

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fun fact: BLT (lol) is actually based on a book. The second film, BLT to the Rescue, was not based on a book. The third one, BLT Goes to Mars, the most hated one, is though.

I liked the second one.
That is quite interesting. Not in the mood to hunt down said books but interesting the writer felt Mars had to be the next stop.

Thurl Ravenscroft! He's grrrreat!
Yep!

Makes sense a kid with such an affection and concern for the lives of (supposedly) inanimate objects would extend his love to the living creatures.
True. Throwing talking animals in the second film and even sharing conversations with our 'inanimate' friends helped to suspend the disbelief.

Shokew

Trial by Fire! Trial by Fire!
kiwifarms.net
Double posting weeks later, I just wanted to highlight a few of my favorite Mr. Magoo cartoons someone uploaded on YT!

Well... Thank fuck it's not that new adaptation someone recently shat out on Netflix and/or whatever.

• Agree

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well... Thank fuck it's not that new adaptation someone recently shat out on Netflix and/or whatever.
I tried to watch a bit of it but I just can't! Jim Backus was Mr. Magoo to me.

sasazuka

Standing in the school hallway.
kiwifarms.net
I'm not sure, it's been over two months since How to Train Your Dragon: the Hidden World, the last animated film to do decently at the box office, and parents with children too young for the three hour endurance challenge of Avengers: Endgame might be looking for something else child-friendly for their kids to watch, so Ugly Dolls might beat the industry's $7 to $12 million opening weekend expectations?

Or perhaps Ugly Dolls might just be another Wonder Park or Missing Link, animated films lost in the shuffle due to their opening too closely before or too soon after big Marvel movies. Plus Detective Pikachu opens the following weekend and that one has more hype and also looks to be entertaining for adults.

Tags
cartoons

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino