What are you reading right now? -

Getting tard comed

kiwifarms.net
I finished Fooled by Randomness(and two others when I needed a break from it) and it's an incredibly informative and entertaining book. Highly recommend it. Talib offers a new(or old depending on your viewpoint) on how to perceive and think about the world.

Still processing it, but I've moved on to the second in his Incerto series in The Black Swan now, with Meditations by Marcus Aurelius as my bounce book.

Reactions: Chan Fan

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've read it before, but...

General History, a book from the early 20th century - before WW1. The author was so optimistic for the future. But he may have had a different outlook if he could see both world wars, the Cold War, the "War On Terror", and of course the crazy circus of 2020.

The history of this wonderful age, so different from any preceding age, cannot yet be written, for no one can tell whether the epoch is just opening or is already well advanced. [...] and that other than material development—let us hope intellectual and moral development—will characterize future epochs.

Reactions: BrunoMattei
We need more education, not less. Every one of these fuckers who put xir phone in a microwave is a catastrophe, a retard given a tool xe is unqualified to wield.
You can put a monkey in a top hat but you can’t make it drink. The Government-mandated public school system has been an unmitigated disaster which churns out retards by the thousands with little scraps of paper that tells them their opinion means something when it doesn’t. Basic maths that you can learn from Its only function is operate as subsidised daycare and to transform people into docile rule-followers. You’ve seemingly read too much into Caplan’s unfortunate title.

• Agree
Reactions: BrunoMattei

Ginger Piglet

Burglar of Jess Phillips MP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The History of the Runestaff, by Michael Moorcock.

Even though he threw it together, all four volumes, each in the course of a few days, because he needed some bloody money, it's damn good. The first volume, "The Jewel in the Skull," is very much the best, followed by the last one, "The Runestaff." Yeah, the characters can be a bit flat, and Yisselda becomes an action gurl in the last volume for no adequately explained reason, but it's great. Wonderfully trippy 1960s pulp fantasy.

I learnt also that the BBC entered talks in 2019 with Moorcock to turn it into a drama serial. Given how al-Beeb has wrecked Doctor Who, turned Killing Eve into a caricature of itself, trashed Casualty, and let The Last Kingdom slip through its fingers, I hope the talks fail. I can see it already. Because the bad guys are a degenerate feudal far-future British Empire they'll turn it into an extended pout about Brexit and then decide to, I dunno, insert loads of talking points about current year by making Yisselda into someone who can beat up hordes of very patient stunt men despite being about 90lbs soaking wet, make King Huon look like Dominic Cummings in a glass bubble rather than the deformed, impossibly ancient evil foetus being he is clearly described as, and make all the faceless enemy mooks into white men who exist solely to get rekt by Dorian's stunning and brave multicultural "fam."

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I learnt also that the BBC entered talks in 2019 with Moorcock to turn it into a drama serial. Given how al-Beeb has wrecked Doctor Who, turned Killing Eve into a caricature of itself, trashed Casualty, and let The Last Kingdom slip through its fingers, I hope the talks fail. I can see it already.
Moorcock is pretty super woke himself. Possibly that might shield him from the worst these idiots can do. I think the project would be better if he were personally involved somehow.

Ginger Piglet

Burglar of Jess Phillips MP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Moorcock is pretty super woke himself.
He didn't used to be though. His classic pulp fantasy from the 1960s was as casually sexist as you like. Anita Sarkeesian would have endless fuel for her destined-never-to-appear videos. All the women characters are for the most part cringing maidens (Cymoril, Zarozinia, Yisselda pre-4th volume Hawkmoon) or femme fatale temptresses (Queen Yishana, Frawbra, Flana Mikosevaar), or just gratuitous whores as set decoration.

• Agree
Reactions: Safir

UnimportantFarmer

kiwifarms.net
Joel F. Harrington: The Faithful Execution: Life and Death in the Seventeenth Century, basically drawing on Frantz Schmidt's diary of his life as executioner (<400), surgeon (thousands of patients as he had a practical knowledge of human anatomy) and humanitarian (he strangled counterfeiters who had the ancient penalty of burning before fire was lit, readily granted beheadings instead of the slow death on the gallows, and beheaded rather than drowned women).

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
He didn't used to be though. His classic pulp fantasy from the 1960s was as casually sexist as you like.
He was always far-left, though, it was just that in the '60s that shit was seen as acceptable on the left. Frankly, it still is in a fantasy environment, although some of it has dated poorly regardless. Look at his criticisms of, for instance, Heinlein, in particular "Starship Stormtroopers," his broadside against the perceived fascism of Starship Troopers (I believe published originally in the New Worlds magazine which he edited).

• Informative
Reactions: Chan Fan
Tags
None