What are you reading right now? -

Ginger Piglet

Burglar of Jess Phillips MP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just finished Memoirs of a Geisha and am going to start Geisha, a Life by Iwasaki Mineko. Looking to compare the two.
I looked at the goodreads reviews of Memoirs after finishing it and found the young'ns whining about "problematic" style of writing amusing.
To be fair he did kinda embellish the concept of the mizuage into auctioning off of virginity which wasn't always the case, apparently.

Hylics

May you find peace.
kiwifarms.net
I've currently reading some miscellaneous poems by W.B. Yeats. One I'm currently really enjoying his "The Indian to His Love," originally published in his 1889 collection "Crossways."

It's such an interesting poem because it has a unique tone compared to many other poems in this collection. It's melancholic and at points destitute, but it shows those negative feelings through beautiful and positive imagery. The loneliness expressed through the poem is meant to be viewed as something natural and beautiful, not abhorrent. It's a very comforting read.

Getting tard comed

kiwifarms.net
I'm still reading Black Swan by Talib, but a friend group has finally decided to commit to starting and finishing War & Peace. We read the first volume of Swann's way a little while ago and this was next on the list. Seemed like a good idea at the time but holy crap, it's a very big book even in paperback. Wish me luck and if anyone on here has read it I'd be interested in hearing what you thought/think about it.

LinkinParkxNaruto[AMV]

I try so hard and got so far
kiwifarms.net
I'm reading Cynical Theories by James Lindsay. Its mostly stuff i already know and already been over it but is kinda refreshing that an author of a critical book about the left actually reads on leftist theory and authors rather than making up straw men out of their asses like most influencers on the right tend to do, that lazyness in research into the other side is usually whats makes them so ineffective. He had a good interview in Joe Rogan recently.
I think it would be a good book recommendation for those family members that are still on the fence about PC woke culture and SocJus or havent yet piece it all together. God knows is a better critique on postmodernism than the ramblings Jordan Peterson makes because it actually addresses postmodern Theory while Peterson just thinks postmodernism is everything he personally doesn't like that day.
Lindsay is more of a liberal in the classical sense, he is no esoteric monarchist or fascist, so don't go in expecting "Ride the tiger" either, is not that kind of right wing critique.

Also finishing up "Trust me , i'm lying" . Its also full of things that are kinda obvious at this point but that i would still recommend reading about. Another good one on that note is "the attention merchants".

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: rga

Gunt.Inc

Burp
kiwifarms.net
Haven't been reading heavily so I've just been trying to get back into lately. Right now I'm reading a math book called "How To Solve It" by G. Polya which I recommend if you like mathematics. I'm also reading "The Overcoat and Other Short Stories" by Nikolai Gogol since I read the The Namesake recently and had never read Nikolai Gogol.

Troon Draugur

Ghola-posting Naib
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Working my way through Yoko Ogawa's books.
Finished: "The Diving Pool", "Hotel Iris", "The Cafeteria in the Evening and a Pool in the Rain"
To finish: "The Housekeeper & The Professor", "Revenge"

• Informative
Reactions: Chan Fan

Chan Fan

Not a cat girl
kiwifarms.net
Finished Nevernight, which was surprisingly good. Reading Godsgrave now and going straight into Darkdawn after that, then starting my "spooky autumn stuff"

Reactions: Troon Draugur

Ginger Piglet

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've decided to read the entire bible cover to cover.

It's a fucking weird book.
Ezekiel chapter 23 is always a fun ride.

Ezekiel 23:20-22 said:
And she thought of the days of her youth, when she was a prostitute in Egypt. There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were as those of donkeys and whose issue was as the issue of horses. So too did she long for the days of her youth when her nipples were caressed and her young breasts fondled.
Yeah, in fact the whole Book of Ezekiel is basically some Hebrew boomer moaning about the world's gone mad with occasional fapping breaks.

Dr W

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done.
kiwifarms.net
Ezekiel chapter 23 is always a fun ride.

Yeah, in fact the whole Book of Ezekiel is basically some Hebrew boomer moaning about the world's gone mad with occasional fapping breaks.
I'm only on Proverbs right now. Lots of talk about not trusting thots in that one, alongside advice to beat your kids.

Reactions: Getting tard comed

Ginger Piglet

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm only on Proverbs right now. Lots of talk about not trusting thots in that one, alongside advice to beat your kids.
Oh yes. Deuteronomy 23 is worth checking out. Basically, troons are hellbound because he that is "wounded in his stones" or "hath his privy member cut off," shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD.

Then there's 2 Chronicles 10. In it, the rebellion against the House of David is provoked by a dick joke. But then again in 1 Samuel 18, David himself gives 200 Philistine foreskins to his father in law as a gift. He who lives by the dick, dies by the dick.

Yeah, the Old Testament is the best. None of that clucking about forgiveness, but stuff like this:

1 Samuel 15:3 said:
Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass.
God in the Old Testament did not fuck about.

Reactions: Dr W

Dr W

Thy kingdom come, thy will be done.
kiwifarms.net
Oh yes. Deuteronomy 23 is worth checking out. Basically, troons are hellbound because he that is "wounded in his stones" or "hath his privy member cut off," shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD.

Then there's 2 Chronicles 10. In it, the rebellion against the House of David is provoked by a dick joke. But then again in 1 Samuel 18, David himself gives 200 Philistine foreskins to his father in law as a gift. He who lives by the dick, dies by the dick.

Yeah, the Old Testament is the best. None of that clucking about forgiveness, but stuff like this:

God in the Old Testament did not fuck about.
I read through Deuteronomy and Chronicles and don't remember either of those, but I do remember David handing over 200 foreskins as a dowry, even though the father of the bride asked for 100. Solomon killing 1000 people with a severed jaw was also fucking crazy, as was Phinehas stabbing two people to death mid-coitus. I think that one was in Exodus or Leviticus.

On the topic of Deuteronomy, my favorite part is 28 where it's just a nonstop list of curses that would happen to Israel should they reject God. The book of Job is also just great.

RockPaper

kiwifarms.net
The Bible has some funny shit in it, and not in an atheist's isn't-this-silly kind of way.

How about when Paul is preaching in a second-floor room, and he goes on for so long and is so boring that a guy sitting in the windowsill falls asleep and falls out the window and dies. So Paul resurrects the guy! That's the least you could do, pal, for being such a boring preacher that it killed somebody.

I consider much of Genesis to qualify as situation-comedy. Abraham following his wife's advice to get a concubine, and then she bitches about it. It was your idea, lady!
How about Jacob and his Desperate Housewives? The Bible never explicitly condemns polygamy, but if you read that shit you'll only want one wife, maximum.

The whole thing where Jacob fools old blind Isaac into thinking he's his hairy brother Esau, by wearing patches of goatskin on his neck and hands. Holy shit, how hairy was Esau supposed to be? Was he the Wolfman or something? Yikes. Great stuff.

Obreon

Quite an experience to live in fear...
kiwifarms.net
I'm reading History of Western Philosophy by Bertrand Russell.

It's been said that it is a awful introduction, but I really enjoy how much of a clear writer Russell is. Thinking on going for Wittgenstein in the future, but I doubt it'll happen soon.

Next book on my list is, for now, The State and Revolution. Lenin was an extremely intelligent man despite his mistakes.

Reactions: StrawberryDouche

Getting tard comed

kiwifarms.net
Finished Black Swan recently, started On the Road and continuing War & Peace.

Talib's Incerto should be a must read in college education imo but alas that would happen in a sane world.

On the Road is dry af and I'm really hoping it picks up. Reading it concurrently with War and Peace is doing it a serious disservice. W&P despite being written almost 200 years ago is more engaging than On the Road. So far not seeing why it's an American Classic. Though the glimpses of America are the best part of the book.

Reactions: Andrew Neiman

Chan Fan

Not a cat girl
kiwifarms.net
Finished Black Swan recently, started On the Road and continuing War & Peace.

Talib's Incerto should be a must read in college education imo but alas that would happen in a sane world.

On the Road is dry af and I'm really hoping it picks up. Reading it concurrently with War and Peace is doing it a serious disservice. W&P despite being written almost 200 years ago is more engaging than On the Road. So far not seeing why it's an American Classic. Though the glimpses of America are the best part of the book.
I read "On the Road" last year and the plot was more interesting than the writing, if that makes sense. Can't say I'd ever really recommend it to anyone. Perhaps the story of how the book was written is more interesting than the book, too, lol

• Informative
Reactions: Getting tard comed
Tags
None