What are you reading right now? -

Maskull

fugpostin
kiwifarms.net
Fascinating tidbits of detail here. Is there anything more poignant than that scene where the dying sun colors the sky in blood? Who else could have interpreted a sunset thusly? When I read it myself, I was blown away by the genius of such pathos, as were you, obviously.
It's mostly the playing cards that had been imprinted in mind. The protagonist whose name I no longer know is characterized as a silver-tongued cheat that uses a deck that's badly battered and composed of cards from half a dozen mismatched sets. I don't recall if Vance's prose is so good as my memory has made it out to be.

• Autistic
Reactions: alreadyhome

alreadyhome

kiwifarms.net
It's mostly the playing cards that had been imprinted in mind. The protagonist whose name I no longer know is characterized as a silver-tongued cheat that uses a deck that's badly battered and composed of cards from half a dozen mismatched sets. I don't recall if Vance's prose is so good as my memory has made it out to be.
Truly profound, alone on a river with only his mismatched deck and his silver tongue at sunset. You can always tell a good author when they create pathetic scenes like that out of thin air. Like magic. Some would say the symbolism is overwrought and the story leaden with banality, but who are they to judge?

• Autistic
Reactions: Maskull

Troon Draugur

Ghola-posting Naib
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not currently reading but wanna buy copies when I get my next paychec: Dracula, frankenstein, dr jekyll and mr hyde, the hp lovecraft collection, and either the howling (the original novel) or cycle of the werewolf. Im a horror fiction fan I'm general but I always love reading/watching the classics as October draws closer.
Ebook or physical? I've got most if not all of those in epub format, if that's any use to you?

Maskull

fugpostin
kiwifarms.net
Physical, call me a Luddite all you want but nothing beats holding a copy of an actual book in your hands
I understand the preference full well as it's mine too. I'll recommend a library card like I did to L50LasPak or searching used shops online or in person. If you're unfamiliar AbeBooks is one of the best storefronts online for used.

• Informative
Reactions: Zodiac

Jasonfan89

Aka horrorfan89
kiwifarms.net
I understand the preference full well as it's mine too. I'll recommend a library card like I did to L50LasPak or searching used shops online or in person. If you're unfamiliar AbeBooks is one of the best storefronts online for used.
I'll definitely take a look when it comes to cycle of the werewolf and howling. Both are from the 70s and even though both became cult classic films I don't think any reprints were ever made. Which is odd considering cycle of the werewolf is by Steven king. It's not the shining or carrier or even another cult classic like Christine or children of the corn but I'm sure all those are still available in new editions today.

L50LasPak

Life on the outside ain't what it used to be.
kiwifarms.net
You need to get yourself a library card. There's a good piracy thread in TSIC too. I recommend to everyone to only buy reference books or books they've read and plan to re-read.
In this particular case piracy was simply not an option. I'll admit that despite my great personal respect for the author I attempted to pirate his last book only to find nobody had scanned it. I'm also glad I didn't pirate this one or even go with the ebook option, as I've said the art is stunning. Its going to be a real conversation piece in my household.

Reactions: Maskull

Slowboat to China

Level 6 Hairy Hands Syndrome
kiwifarms.net
"The High Crusade" by Poul Anderson. I like some classic sci-fi, but I've never dipped into Anderson's stuff before. I found "The High Crusade" recommended on 1d4chan, of all places; it was listed on their "Humanity, Fuck Yeah" page. Basically, hyper-advanced aliens land on Earth during the medieval era and get royally fucked up because they were expecting a way higher level of tech and weren't prepared to just get stabbed in the face. The humans take the alien ship and plan to go Crusading, but an alien survivor screws them over and sends them to another planet instead. Destruction ensues.

I'm definitely enjoying it so far. Been reading it during odd moments of downtime, so I haven't finished it yet, despite it not being that long. Still, it's already obvious that this one asshole knight is going to fuck everything up by trying to bang the baron's wife. There's always one on every crusade ...

Tags
None